NSA Player tagged after time is called

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
So here's the play. Team we were playing had guys on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Guy batting hits a pop up to 2nd and he sprints to first. Umpire calls infield fly batter is out and then calls time. The runner that was standing on 1st starts to walk off thinking it was the 3rd out so our pitcher walks over and tags him. Umpire says he's not out because time was called. Is that the right call or should he been ruled out since he wasn't standing on the bag? This was just league ball so it didn't make any difference to me or my team but would like to know for future reference should this happen in a tournament for some reason.

Thanks

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
No, he waited till the ball was caught and then called time. NCASump is right as I thought our umpire was.

Iceman6409

Call was correct however something I do in those situations is see if any runners have come off base and "look" like they might go. I feel if they come off the base then they have the right to advance if they choose to do so. That being said I always try and hold my time call until I check all runners positions. Just me though. It's kind of the same if there is a ball hit into the outfield and a runner is flying around the bases. Say he rounds third to see where the ball is and stops 3 steps off the base towards home and looks. Ball is then caught by the infielder on the throw from the outfielder. That is when I wait to see what any of the runners will do. It's their right if they are not standing on the base in my opinion. Sometimes they try to advance and sometimes they don't. I totally understand calling time as soon as possible but I just believe other things MAY happen as well. Again just my stupid humble opinion

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree, and it's good to not be too quick on the trigger when calling "time."

However, once you call "time," that's it. Time's been called, even if it was a bit early.

JabNblue

So here's the play. Team we were playing had guys on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Guy batting hits a pop up to 2nd and he sprints to first. Umpire calls infield fly batter is out and then calls time. The runner that was standing on 1st starts to walk off thinking it was the 3rd out so our pitcher walks over and tags him. Umpire says he's not out because time was called. Is that the right call or should he been ruled out since he wasn't standing on the bag? This was just league ball so it didn't make any difference to me or my team but would like to know for future reference should this happen in a tournament for some reason.

Thanks
If time had been called by the UMPIRE, all play is dead. Unless the umpire has went back behind the plate, and released the pitcher to deliver. But then that player walking off would be out for "leading" off before ball reached front of plate.
You will probably see 100's of more complex answers.

LIKEUCM

If time had been called by the UMPIRE, all play is dead. Unless the umpire has went back behind the plate, and released the pitcher to deliver. But then that player walking off would be out for "leading" off before ball reached front of plate.
You will probably see 100's of more complex answers.
You would not call the player out for leading off, as you would want to make sure that all players (both offense and defense) are in position on the playing field before calling for the first pitch to the next batter. You would not permit a pitch to be thrown until the runner is on the base. To permit a pitch to be thrown while a runner is off a base, and then call him out for leading off, is the same a permitting a pitch to be thrown with the batter is out of the box, and then calling him out for making contact with the ball while not in the box. I am sure we all have had many games where we have waited for palyers to return to the field after they have ran out of play as they hustled attempting to catch a foul ball. Good game management in cases like this prevents a lot of issues that no one wants to deal with.

JabNblue

You would not call the player out for leading off, as you would want to make sure that all players (both offense and defense) are in position on the playing field before calling for the first pitch to the next batter. You would not permit a pitch to be thrown until the runner is on the base. To permit a pitch to be thrown while a runner is off a base, and then call him out for leading off, is the same a permitting a pitch to be thrown with the batter is out of the box, and then calling him out for making contact with the ball while not in the box. I am sure we all have had many games where we have waited for palyers to return to the field after they have ran out of play as they hustled attempting to catch a foul ball. Good game management in cases like this prevents a lot of issues that no one wants to deal with.
We I consider that to be very basic fundamentals. I've never started or even come close to starting the next pitch before anything of this nature or what you said not permitting a pitch to be thrown. ( I would think ANY umpire ) would and should have their hand up viewing the field prior to eye contact with the pitcher pointing to proceed with a pitch.

LIKEUCM

We I consider that to be very basic fundamentals. I've never started or even come close to starting the next pitch before anything of this nature or what you said not permitting a pitch to be thrown. ( I would think ANY umpire ) would and should have their hand up viewing the field prior to eye contact with the pitcher pointing to proceed with a pitch.

What am I missing here....in your reply YOU said:

"If time had been called by the UMPIRE, all play is dead. Unless the umpire has went back behind the plate, and released the pitcher to deliver. But then that player walking off would be out for "leading" off before ball reached front of plate."

Your post was the only reason I commented about making sure that runner/s are on base before the next pitch is thrown.

JabNblue

What am I missing here....in your reply YOU said:

"If time had been called by the UMPIRE, all play is dead. Unless the umpire has went back behind the plate, and released the pitcher to deliver. But then that player walking off would be out for "leading" off before ball reached front of plate."

Your post was the only reason I commented about making sure that runner/s are on base before the next pitch is thrown.
Thanks for the additional input. I should have added it. As I still say this would fall under being in the game. I take ball from real old school, and certain aspects laterally into umpiring.....always see the field. And as a pitcher I've followed that. But as an umpire one of my first habits almost 8 yea s now is keep hand up see your field.