ASA Playing shorthanded (but not really).

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
Let me preface this by saying I was in no way involved in the game I'm about to explain. I was just watching. Simply looking for some clarification.

Tournament this past weekend was a rare ASA sanctioned event here. A player was thrown of the game for asking why the other team was being allowed to cuss (mainly because a player on his team was thrown out the game directly before for the same reason). The team was batting 12. The umpire, after throwing the guy out, says they have to forfeit because in ASA you can not play shorthanded and they did not have a sub.

I guess I don't understand because:

A. The exact same thing happened in the game before and they were allowed to continue. (Different umpire)
B. They wouldn't be shorthanded as they had 2 EH in the lineup.

What's the rule?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
They have to finish with as many in their lineup as they started with. If they were batting 12 and the ejection brought them to less than that it should have been a forfeit.

ureout

The Veteran
They have to finish with as many in their lineup as they started with. If they were batting 12 and the ejection brought them to less than that it should have been a forfeit.

EA... I thought it was only a forfeit on an ejection if the team went below required amount of players to take the field.....since the team was batting 12 wouldn't it just be an out each time he would have come to bat

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Start with 12, end with 12. Any reduction is "shorthanded". In non-ejection situations (ill, injured, decided to go drinking early, etc.), the vacated position is an out each time through the lineup. If a participant is ejected, leaving a vacant spot in the lineup, a sub must be provided or the game is forfeited. 4.1.D.2

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
Start with 12, end with 12. Any reduction is "shorthanded". In non-ejection situations (ill, injured, decided to go drinking early, etc.), the vacated position is an out each time through the lineup. If a participant is ejected, leaving a vacant spot in the lineup, a sub must be provided or the game is forfeited. 4.1.D.2

Perfect. That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Now what do I make of that obviously painted "NRG" that was still shiny and hitting rockets about 325 foot? Hmmm