Playing with astigmatism

JN137

Questions for those who play or have played with vision issues!

I have had vision issues for a while, playing softball being the biggest problem area for me (also driving at night). Playing during the day isn't too bad, evening and night are rough though. Sometimes it actually feels a bit dangerous, as I can't see the ball well. I had an eye exam recently and apparently I do have astigmatism. Dr has prescribed me glasses but he doesn't recommend contacts.. I was a little confused by his reasoning but that's another topic. I'm not sure how I feel about having to play in glasses.. 2 weeks until they come in

Has anyone had a similar experience, and did the prescription help? What about with depth of field or things like that? Personally, I don't even like playing in sunglasses during the day, but I do just to block the glare

defos

I'm no expert, but my astigmatism affects just a small spot in one eye, and my glasses have a correction for it in the lower inside area of that lens.
If yours is similar, that may be why the dr doesn't recommend contacts. Mine is small enough I didn't know it was there until a few years ago when it showed up at an exam, but I've worn glasses since I was 11. I'm 66 now. Started playing ball when I was 10 and still play. Glasses never affected my playing, except I don't wear bifocals when I play.
Had cataract surgery on my right eye 2 yrs ago, and haven't needed glasses to play ball since. In fact, after the surgery, both lenses had the minimum possible correction for distance and my glasses were basically just needed for reading, but now I really need cataract surgery on the left eye.

D-ROCK13

I had a similar issue a few years back and actually found out i was diabetic and at severely high sugar levels. Got that back to normal levels and eyes improved a ton, but, now have slight astigmatism in both eyes, and need over the counter readers, for small lettering. Playing at night is tough because the lights all have starburst effect and it makes reading a ball difficult, but, glasses didnt help that for me. In fact it makes the starbursts stronger if anything. I also struggle with glasses alot while batting, depth perception is off and cannot make good contact. But i also had perfect vision for 37 years so glasses are new to me

Bow Commander

Did prescription glasses help?! They are a game changer. I have astigmatism and the difference with my glasses on is huge even though it’s a pretty light prescription. The real MVP is getting prescription polarized sunglasses. Can’t recommend them enough. Only drawback I’ve ever noticed was wearing my glasses felt like it messed with depth perception. Wear them for at least an hour before your game to help your eyes and brain adjust before you’re taking pitches.

CherryBomber

Addicted to Softballfans
When I played I would be putting myself in serious danger if I played without my glasses. I was able to use contacts though, I'm curious why you can't.

basilray

I don't have astigmatism, but have other vision problems stemming from being born cross eyed.

Went to an eye doctor just over a year ago. He noted perfect vision in my right eye, but very poor in my left. I asked what that meant, and he said I had bad depth perception. Made sense based on my issues playing ball. When I asked what could be done, he said "See you in a year to check if it's gotten worse".

I. Was. Pissed.

Just, live with it? I refused, and started researching ways I could improve my vision on my own. I stumbled onto a local doctor that did training for athlete's (which I am def not) related to vision deficiencies. They never got back to me, but I found another vision therapist local to me, and went in for an evaluation. A year of weekly sessions with a certified therapist and daily work on my own, and my vision has DRAMATICALLY improved. I can now say I have functional depth perception and proper eye teaming for the first time in my life, and I'm about to turn 39.

Excited to see how that translates to the field!

JN137

Just an update here..

I received my prescription last week and wow. The difference is way more dramatic than I was expecting. It may take some getting used to, but I find the glasses themselves pretty difficult to use while active. Being stationary, staring at an object is unbelievably clear. But, moving makes it very difficult to see, my peripheral vision is nearly gone, and they definitely effect DOF which would make playing softball in them difficult. Perhaps I just need to get used to them?

Again, DR says contacts are a no go for me. He says they will not benefit me.. I don't want to argue with him, but I just can't understand this. I feel like having a contact lens in this prescription, without the obstruction you get wearing glasses would be life changing for me. Maybe I need a second opinion?

defos

It will take 2 or 3 weeks, but you'll get used to the glasses. If they are bifocals, or progressive lenses, get a pair of single vision lenses without the correction for reading to wear when playing.