Other Pony Baseball question (Pinto)

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
We have a kid on our team whose basketball season hasn't ended yet so he's playing both. This Sat, we have a game at noon and he has a basketball game right next door at 1:00. His parents are wanting him to play baseball for 45 mins and then run over to the basketball game.

I skimmed the rule book, but didn't see a batter leaving the lineup addressed. Was wondering if it is an out, or we just skip him. League play, not tournament. Anybody know?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
League

We have a kid on our team whose basketball season hasn't ended yet so he's playing both. This Sat, we have a game at noon and he has a basketball game right next door at 1:00. His parents are wanting him to play baseball for 45 mins and then run over to the basketball game.

I skimmed the rule book, but didn't see a batter leaving the lineup addressed. Was wondering if it is an out, or we just skip him. League play, not tournament. Anybody know?

Check your league rules...if its not addressed then ask the league officials. You don't have a substitute?

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
The entire roster bats, so no, we can't just sub him out.

We've got a message in to the league, but haven't heard back yet. Just trying to get this figured out.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
All you have to really do is tell the opposing coach. I doubt they will make a big deal out of it in league play. We've done it before, kids have to leave it happens.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like the kid is overbooked (or over pushed by the parents). Teach him a lesson in choosing which one he'd rather play this Saturday. Can't do everything in life - might as well learn that now. My kids are allowed one sport/activity per season. If they overlap, then it's decision time

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
I agree. If it will cost the team outs, I want to tell his parents that it's not fair to his teammates, and to choose one or the other. It already costs the team with him missing practices due to basketball. My kids are only allowed one sport or activity at a time, too.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
As I understand it, PINTO is 8 year olds and under . . . . coach pitch, no stealing, no IFR . . . .

anyway, in a level of ball that bats the roster and allows free substitution on defense, I don't see that an out is justfied for someone leaving (the rule actually says that "the entire roster of players present for the game shall bat in rotation").

But yeah, what they all said - he really should pick one game or the other.

aander10

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm with those on the one sport/season. If there's an overlap, I usually go with the sport whose season started first.

With that said, if he does play and leaves early, and the opposing coach wants an out, he's a Richard. Who cares? They are 8.

And with that said, yes, he should just pick one or the other.

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
Just heard back from the league. League says it's an out. Tried to tell mom just to take him to basketball. Mom went postal, he's playing anyway. Coaching is awesome.

Thanks for the input, guys.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Just heard back from the league. League says it's an out. Tried to tell mom just to take him to basketball. Mom went postal, he's playing anyway. Coaching is awesome.

this is what's wrong with so many parents these days. Sometimes you have to tell little Johnny "No." And if he cries, so what?! Stop worrying about your child's temporary comfort, and start focusing on their long term character!!

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....

You as the coach have to make the decision as to what to do. Honestly, if I am you, I am contacting the director of the association and letting them know you may have an upset parent should you choose not to let the kid play.

Team sports are just that - they are about the team. The mother is making this about "little Johnny".

If I was coaching I would not be playing the kid after another conversation with the parents.

danielmo

Manager
In our league play (softball not baseball but still) we bat around even through 12u. If a girl has to leave early it needs to be announced at the coaches meeting to avoid an out being recorded when their spot comes up in the batting order.