Positive experience

Iceman6409

I feel the need to share a positive experience. Sometimes we forget to talk about the good of the game. I did a double header the other night. One of the teams played both games. Hadn't seen them before. Bunch of real young guys, maybe early 20s if that. They were chatting and laughing and having a real good time both games no matter what happened. 2nd game, top of the 7th and they were down by 6 to a much better team. And it was real close to me calling the game on darkness but I let them play. 2 real quick outs. And then the comeback began. They score 5 runs. Next batter hits a ground ball to third who makes the throw to first. I could see he threw the ball a bit low and was probably going to be a scoop at first. With it being a bit low on light I focused on the ball and whether he made a clean catch or not while also trying to watch the runner. It ended up being a scoop at first and a clean catch on a close play which I called the runner out. To which that team all were saying he was safe by a mile. I could see the look on the other teams face right away that I may had missed that call to end the game. I was a bit upset with myself for ending a game the way it did when both teams were such good nature. Just who I am. I quickly asked a few players from both teams if I missed it and they all said yes but it was close enough. Anyways as I was leaning up against the back stop with a look of "damn it" the young team I just called them out all came up to me one by one and shook my hand and said I called a great for them for both games. They also all told me don't worry about that last call, it's just a game. We had a great time tonight playing a game we all love. I was really taken back by their gesture. All very genuine and all on their own. You don't see this very often in today's society, especially from the younger generation. Losing two games and telling the umpire "good games" is one thing. Losing the game the way they did on my mistake and still doing what they did was really refreshing.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I feel the need to share a positive experience. Sometimes we forget to talk about the good of the game. I did a double header the other night. One of the teams played both games. Hadn't seen them before. Bunch of real young guys, maybe early 20s if that. They were chatting and laughing and having a real good time both games no matter what happened. 2nd game, top of the 7th and they were down by 6 to a much better team. And it was real close to me calling the game on darkness but I let them play. 2 real quick outs. And then the comeback began. They score 5 runs. Next batter hits a ground ball to third who makes the throw to first. I could see he threw the ball a bit low and was probably going to be a scoop at first. With it being a bit low on light I focused on the ball and whether he made a clean catch or not while also trying to watch the runner. It ended up being a scoop at first and a clean catch on a close play which I called the runner out. To which that team all were saying he was safe by a mile. I could see the look on the other teams face right away that I may had missed that call to end the game. I was a bit upset with myself for ending a game the way it did when both teams were such good nature. Just who I am. I quickly asked a few players from both teams if I missed it and they all said yes but it was close enough. Anyways as I was leaning up against the back stop with a look of "damn it" the young team I just called them out all came up to me one by one and shook my hand and said I called a great for them for both games. They also all told me don't worry about that last call, it's just a game. We had a great time tonight playing a game we all love. I was really taken back by their gesture. All very genuine and all on their own. You don't see this very often in today's society, especially from the younger generation. Losing two games and telling the umpire "good games" is one thing. Losing the game the way they did on my mistake and still doing what they did was really refreshing.
Damn blue.. u sux should have just called the game due too darkness.. lol jk :D

r8dr_rider

You should’ve ejected half the players for having a good time. There is no need for that in adult slowpitch softball. I would protest both games

HowsTeddyLook

Good story. In the heat of the moment, a lot of players will automatically argue any close call. But once it's over they tend to cool down. I've never lost sleep over a blown call.

But an umpire who admits he was wrong? Asks players if he missed a call? I can tell that you don't umpire in my league.

RNRPLZ

Actually no matter what the lighting having any effect on a close play. We use the mindset....if you “think” you saw it... It did not happen. Also, never guess an put. If you were not clear or sure, don’t guess the out.
Now it’s fantastic to get that type of feedback. Where I call recreation softball there are enormous amounts of guys and a few girls who think they are bigger than the game. One very good girl last summer literally switched teams because the team the got her to jump teams was sponsored by a local watering hole. He offered her free drinks and unlimited membership. I of course took complete legal action and informed the coach....SHE CAN NOT PLAY because she is currently on the other teams roster. So she stood in dugout until I gave one warning from her constant comments to the coach who told her...go on to the bar we will see you there. She still thinks I am a but hole for doing my job.
Then later in the summer I enjoyed hearing a great young coed team thank me for battling through 105 degree heat and I did a great job. And they lost. Honestly I can barely remember the game because the heat was that bad!

Iceman6409

Good story. In the heat of the moment, a lot of players will automatically argue any close call. But once it's over they tend to cool down. I've never lost sleep over a blown call.

But an umpire who admits he was wrong? Asks players if he missed a call? I can tell that you don't umpire in my league.

Whatever. I don't admit I am wrong during the game. I do think about it for a little bit. Could I have been in a better position. Was a player blocking my view at the last second. Maybe I looked directly into the sun as the play happened. It's a simple and quick conversation for my purposes only. Nothing else. Hell I might even learn something in the process. Is that bad? The umpire I admire the most where I am does the same thing. It's our personality and it works for us. In the end it is a rec league game. The players appreciate our efforts in every way, so I am told a lot. I don't change calls like that, ever. And as far as you never admitting your calls are wrong God bless you. That's you. It works for you. . Whatever,

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans

I'll admit when I'm wrong, even during the game. Especially at higher levels the players respect you for it. The guys who won't even have the conversation about what they saw are the ones that set themselves up for failure later in the game. I've asked players that I know if I got it right or wrong, at the end of the inning or between games. If I guy tells me I got it wrong in his favor then I need to look at why. I know one of the best umpires in the game does the same thing. This is how we get better. I'm not going to change my call, but I might pay more attention to it so that I don't miss it the next time.

Iceman6409

I'll admit when I'm wrong, even during the game. Especially at higher levels the players respect you for it. The guys who won't even have the conversation about what they saw are the ones that set themselves up for failure later in the game. I've asked players that I know if I got it right or wrong, at the end of the inning or between games. If I guy tells me I got it wrong in his favor then I need to look at why. I know one of the best umpires in the game does the same thing. This is how we get better. I'm not going to change my call, but I might pay more attention to it so that I don't miss it the next time.

EXACTLY what I do. I find that almost all players will tell me their perspective without any issues at all. They get to speak their mind and they move on. Quick and easy and they get to hear my perspective too. Communication at a civil level is awesome.

Iceman6409

What a load of ****. Your job is to officiate a ball game, not run a popularity club.

Hey Mafia. My games are officiated quite well by me. That's the important part. I have always been taught by my head umpire to be yourself and do things the right way. I do my games my way and you do your your way. It has nothing to do with popularity. It has everything to do with analyzing plays to see if I can learn. You got a problem with learning something new every day? Too bad. Do I know everything about being a softball umpire? No. I simply love being around the game and officiating it. The day I get to the point where I know everything about being a softball umpire will be my last day umpiring. And that day hopefully doesn't come anytime soon. Lighten up Francis.

watsonrg

My response to a player "questioning" a call is to ask if he has ever watched an instant replay of a close call. The view from camera one shows the player was clearly out. The view from camera two shows the player was clearly safe.

From your vantage point it appeared the player was out. From my vantage point it appeared the player was out.

Was I out of position? Was my view screened ? No?

I called what I saw, now let's play ball.

watsonrg

My response to a player "questioning" a call is to ask if he has ever watched an instant replay of a close call. The view from camera one shows the player was clearly out. The view from camera two shows the player was clearly safe.

From your vantage point it appeared the player was out. From my vantage point it appeared the player was out.

Was I out of position? Was my view screened ? No?

I called what I saw, now let's play ball.

Meant to say from my vantage point the player was safe

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Mafia. My games are officiated quite well by me. That's the important part. I have always been taught by my head umpire to be yourself and do things the right way. I do my games my way and you do your your way. It has nothing to do with popularity. It has everything to do with analyzing plays to see if I can learn. You got a problem with learning something new every day? Too bad. Do I know everything about being a softball umpire? No. I simply love being around the game and officiating it. The day I get to the point where I know everything about being a softball umpire will be my last day umpiring. And that day hopefully doesn't come anytime soon. Lighten up Francis.

I started umpiring in 1966 and I am aware of mistakes, but I couldn't care less what the players, coaches or fans have to say.

I'm not there to placate players, or anyone else. The ONLY reason and the ONLY thing that put and kept me on the field is the game. I learned from experience and guidance by some of the best umpire/clinicians in the country. I advanced far in my game and conducted/instructed in clinics and schools for years at the local, state and regional level.

Apparently, you will be around a long time

Iceman6409

I started umpiring in 1966 and I am aware of mistakes, but I couldn't care less what the players, coaches or fans have to say.

I'm not there to placate players, or anyone else. The ONLY reason and the ONLY thing that put and kept me on the field is the game. I learned from experience and guidance by some of the best umpire/clinicians in the country. I advanced far in my game and conducted/instructed in clinics and schools for years at the local, state and regional level.

Apparently, you will be around a long time

I don't ask for the reason of placating anyone. I ask because I am curious and I am always looking to see if I can do things different or better. Done it my whole career. Just different styles. Impressive resume though. Congratulations

HowsTeddyLook

I applaud your efforts. Players definitely appreciate umpires who care about making the correct calls and put in the effort to do the best job they can. Effectively communicating like you do goes a long way. Players shouldn't expect umps to be perfect or change calls, but it's the umps who act like they couldn't care less about their performance and refuse or are unable to communicate that grind my gears. So it's refreshing to see umpires who care about their performance.

HowsTeddyLook

Whatever. I don't admit I am wrong during the game.
Would never expect you to.
I do think about it for a little bit. Could I have been in a better position. Was a player blocking my view at the last second. Maybe I looked directly into the sun as the play happened. It's a simple and quick conversation for my purposes only. Nothing else. Hell I might even learn something in the process. Is that bad?
Why so defensive? I wasn’t criticizing your approach to umpiring, nor did I ask for an explanation. I was giving you a complement. Don’t sweat a blown call and it’s nice to see that you strive to get better and make an effort to get things right.
The umpire I admire the most where I am does the same thing. It's our personality and it works for us. In the end it is a rec league game. The players appreciate our efforts in every way, so I am told a lot. I don't change calls like that, ever.
I agree, players do appreciate efforts like that. And I never thought that you change calls like that, ever. But thanks for clarifying anyway. I’m sure that’s one of the attributes that makes you a good umpire.
And as far as you never admitting your calls are wrong God bless you. That's you. It works for you. . Whatever,
I never said any such thing. Please don’t project. If you had put the same effort into your reading comprehension that you do your umpiring, then you wouldn’t be making false statements about me. And was a second “Whatever” really necessary? Were you having a bad day?
Lighten up Francis.
Look at this good advice someone wrote earlier in this thread. Quite applicable considering your overreaction.

And keep up the good umpiring work!