Pro Preferred Pittards lining

BG972

Is there a way to get pro preferred pittards inner to last or is it just not durable? If ordering a custom does getting a palm pad make the liner more durable/ ordering palm in leather color of glove?

Last edited:

Ballgluv_papa

If you customise a Rawlings glove, you have a choice of lining types. I chose the "shell palm colour" option when ordering a Bruciato leather Pro Preferred glove and the liner came made with the Bruciato leather (not Pittards sheepskin liner). I did this to learn the difference between the sheepskin liner and the shell leather liner along the durability dimension. Just did not get around to breaking in the glove yet because, as it turns out, I'm an NP pattern guy more than a PRO200 pattern guy. Oh well, I'm sure the experiment will be carried out some time.

BG972

If you customise a Rawlings glove, you have a choice of lining types. I chose the "shell palm colour" option when ordering a Bruciato leather Pro Preferred glove and the liner came made with the Bruciato leather (not Pittards sheepskin liner). I did this to learn the difference between the sheepskin liner and the shell leather liner along the durability dimension. Just did not get around to breaking in the glove yet because, as it turns out, I'm an NP pattern guy more than a PRO200 pattern guy. Oh well, I'm sure the experiment will be carried out some time.
Thanks, would the Bruciato liner give it the kind of durability a HOH has? Are the finger stalls still sheepskin?

Last edited:

defos

The Pittards lining in my Pro Preferred is holding up well after 6 or 7 years of about 35 games a year. The glove is several years older than that, but it was never used or broken in until I started using it. I have noticed a little bit of separation between layers of the palm, but the leather is in great shape. BUT, my palms don't sweat, which is a huge factor.

Ballgluv_papa

Thanks, would the Bruciato liner give it the kind of durability a HOH has? Are the finger stalls still sheepskin?
Hi BG972. I think the Bruciato liner would be the most durable as it is the same kip leather that is used on the shell (at least from what I understand). It is not sheepskin or cowhide that is designed to be more comfortable to the touch. I chose this option when it became available because my Mizuno Pro GMP2 and my early Marucci Capitol series gloves had kip palm liner that felt tremendous so I figured that at the price level of a Rawlings PP custom, the kip liner would feel like top of the line shell leather.

I cannot speak about its durability because I have since spent most of my time playing around with gloves that have patterns that I like - I'm not a huge PRO200 fan as it's catch point and pocket are not where I prefer... wish I knew that 3 years ago when I was desperately trying to love the pattern that most everyone was gushing about. It's okay but not an asymmetric palm design with a pocket tucked nicely behind the thumb like the NP. It might be worth noting that the Pittards liner on my Camel PRO204-4C has experienced some delamination and I hardly use it.

As you can see below, the palm liner on the Bruciato goes all the way into the fingerstalls. I think the fingerbacks are foam backed sheepskin lining though.

IMG_0629.jpegIMG_0630.jpegIMG_0628.jpeg

mkaufm1

The palm pad won’t make the liner last longer, but I prefer it for two reasons: 1) speed of balls coming at me and 2) helps retain the palm shape if you don’t douse the glove in water or oil.

I opt for the shell leather as the liner. The backing doesn’t change, but the palm side does, which I find is helpful for longevity.

I’ve enjoyed both my 504 and my 206F models. If you’re playing slowpitch; wear a size large batting glove; and like wider gloves, I’d go 504. My hand wouldn’t like anything wider and it dominates a softball.