Probably redundant 1st base mitt help thread

satanwannabe

Addicted to Softballfans
It’s only money, right? I ordered meself a first base mitt and a 13.5 softball pattern glove to replace my beloved Vinci custom of 7 years (want to retire it while she’s still pretty).

British tan steerhide on both, brown laces on the former, navy bits and laces on the latter.

Thanks all, sincerely.

mrbill22

I bought the Gloveworks glove in British Tan and it came out beautiful. I must have created at least 12 different color schemes but decided on the classic look instead. No regrets at all.

heycal

Am I bad at googling, or is the Worth 13" slow pitch first basemen's glove the only one advertised as a slow pitch softball first basemen's glove? Or do other brands make specific slow pitch first baseman's mitts that I don't know about?

yankees23

Addicted to Softballfans
Gloveworks 13 1/4 inch.

Attachments

• A34C7653-D4EE-4896-A203-5094A1EDF9C3.jpeg
    A34C7653-D4EE-4896-A203-5094A1EDF9C3.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 3A4E9C9A-90BB-473B-A9E2-01EA644C3E33.jpeg
    3A4E9C9A-90BB-473B-A9E2-01EA644C3E33.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 76EB8617-EFFC-495D-8EFB-FABC79234A6E.jpeg
    76EB8617-EFFC-495D-8EFB-FABC79234A6E.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 37

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Am I bad at googling, or is the Worth 13" slow pitch first basemen's glove the only one advertised as a slow pitch softball first basemen's glove? Or do other brands make specific slow pitch first baseman's mitts that I don't know about?

There aren't many mitts specifically made for slowpitch. Rawlings debuted the DCT baseball mitt in 1960. It was kind of a revolutionary design. The fact that it is still being made is a testament to how far ahead of its time it was. Once glovemakers started stamping sizes on gloves and mitts (late 90s), Rawlings decided to call the DCT a 13" mitt (although they measure just over 12.5"). It is a softball fave because of its wide pocket.

The design is notable for the cutout between the toe and the area where your fingers go. If you look around, you will see that everyone from Mizuno, to Worth, to Nokona, to Gloveworks, to Vinci (doesn't have the cut out), makes a mitt using the DCT pattern. Because the patent was applied for in 1960, the design is now in the public domain (at least that's my explanation).

But it is still smaller than, for example, the Wilson 1883 mitt (which is stamped 12.5", but measures a full 13").

Gloveworks makes a 13.25" version (which measures 13") and the Worth softball version seems to also come with an extra wide web too (although they list it at 13", so it may measure shorter than that).

A SBF member had a Gloveworks 13.25 with an extra wide web and it was really nice (I relaced it). I don't know if the 13.25" version has an extra wide web, but if you could ask them to add 1/2" to the web width, it'd be a winner for sure.

The DCT pocket is wide, but not as deep as the Wilson 1883. So my fav softball mitt is the 1883. Sadly, they don't make stock versions very often, so you need to go the custom route.

Good morning, people who know way more about gloves than me. I’ve come to pick your brains, even if it’s adjacent to other queries.

I’m adding a full time first base league night, and want to get a medium nice to fairly nice first base mitt.

I’m hunting for something ideally well under the $300 range.
Bigger is better- preferably a softball pattern and definitely in hand room. I have thick, long ish fingers (at least xl batting gloves, worn in the mitt).

I guess my question is this: what’s the general consensus, if any, on meaty-hand friendly, slowpitch-pattern first base mitts?

I’ll spend closer to the 3 bills mark if it gets me more, but I’m not sure that this will be a constant position, yet.

I greatly appreciate any and all input and/or shaming.

I think you can find a first base mitt to meet your needs without spending anywhere close to $300. Below are listed first base mitts on eBay on their very first page - clearly any of these will fill your needs for play on a softball field. I know that i much prefer to have people to compliment me on my fielding ability (and yes, both of the gloves that i use were bought on eBay for less than $35 each) than to marvel at some custom glove/mitt that can't catch a ball by itself. You have to ask the simple question, am i feeding a need to have a good durable glove/mitt to play softball or feeding some ego to have the newest, "cutest", most trendy mitt out there? and stand on the sidelines with some other guy and marvel at our gloves, while some other guy out in the field is making all the plays?

Louisville Slugger Omaha $80, Rawlings Sandlot $73, Mizuno Franchise $75, or splurge a little for a Rawlings GG Elite $160

heycal

The DCT pocket is wide, but not as deep as the Wilson 1883. So my fav softball mitt is the 1883. Sadly, they don't make stock versions very often, so you need to go the custom route.

I see a few of these Wilson A200-1883's available in 12.5 online in my orientation. (left hand throw). Are they very good?

In this video, it doesn't seem big enough for a softball. (For the softball test 2 or 3 minutes in.)

watch

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I see a few of these Wilson A200-1883's available in 12.5 online in my orientation. (left hand throw). Are they very good?

In this video, it doesn't seem big enough for a softball. (For the softball test 2 or 3 minutes in.)

watch

Yes, that's the one. My son used a 1883 in high school, so I had one in the house when I also had a DCT in for a relace. The Wilson is bigger and the pocket is deeper. The reason the Wilson is stamped 12.5" is that the 1883 used to be smaller and not as deep (I relaced one of the OG ones once, its small). When they made it bigger, they kept the stamp at 12.5".

Here is an old one (an A2800-1883). Yes, they used to call the A2000 quality mitts A2800 for some reason.
47245ad84612c3c3_thumb.jpeg

You can see the difference. Here is a newer one.
4d02-06-18-18816-1_m.jpg

Neither the DCT, nor the 1883 were designed to hinge at both sides of the heel. But leather is pretty forgiving, so you can really force them to do it if you want.

If the 1883 has a weakness it is that the binding at the web opening will wear pretty quickly.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Seriously, its almost too big for a baseball!
s-l500.jpg

The Wilson mitts designed for dual breaks have this lace pattern at the heel.
image.jpg

vintage-wilson-a2800-a2000-japan-akr_1_bcc036e0471fbe1cd282ad19756a0119.jpg

heycal

I'm a bit confused by the above. Which exact model is the one you recommend for slow pitch, and what is the difference in those photos? Also, what do you think of that fellow's video? Is that a different one that seems small?

Also, I'm pretty sure I prefer the single break method of breaking in a glove. Are they certain models that are better or worse for that?

Here is my exact "dilemma" when it comes to a mitt: After returning to softball at age 52 after a 30 year layoff, I picked up the cheapest glove I could, some fielder's glove, since I didn't know how long I would stick with the game. A few years later, I realized "hey, I'm playing this game regularly, and 99% of the time at my childhood position, first base. Maybe I should get a first baseman's glove to replace the one I lost in 1983 or so."

So I first grabbed a 12.5 renegade Rawlings a couple of years back, another cheapo. It seemed way too small for softball. This year, I decided to get a better glove, and really wanted one that would be good for softball and accommodate the larger size. I ended up with a Worth 13" 1B model advertised as softball specific, one of the few that were. It's pretty good, but sometimes seems too big and unwieldly on certain plays, and also doesn't have the great feel of a higher end glove.

Now I'm ready to spend more on a glove that may last for the rest of my "career" if I can find the right one. But my neurotic nature is obsessing over size, make, and model. I'm looking at a Wilson A2000 Fast pitch 2021 12.5 glove, which fits my hand very nicely (some girl gloves seem small), but whose pocket seems a bit small/shallow to me (at least compared to my Worth), so I will likely return it without trying it on the field. If I'm going to spend 300 bucks, I want to absolutely love it.

So, What is good for softball? Is 13" too big for me, but is 12.5 too small? Is there a Goldilocks one that is just right? I want a glove I can control, but is also roomy enough to swallow a softball. So which might that be? Or does none of this stuff really matter that much, and any reasonable glove of any reasonable size going to work just fine for an old rec league guy like myself? Do these numbers even really tell you much?

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I really don't like the videos where a guy holds the phone with one hand and just puts the glove on and off repeatedly picking up a ball, showing it in the pocket and putting it down over and over. He didn't have a tape measure, didn't understand that both of those are single break gloves. But it was the newer version of the 1883. He is just wrong if he says its smaller than a DCT.

Look at all the DCT pics, they have a gap between the fingers and toe (the toe being the curved part above the fingers). There is X lacing that connects the fingers and toe.

ad25-03-20-rawlings-pro-preferred-13--first-base-mitt--prosdctcc-33256-1_l.jpg

Maybe you can see the gap better here from the back side.
9ad2-03-20-rawlings-pro-preferred-13--first-base-mitt--prosdctcc-33256-5_l.jpg

This Worth is a take off on the DCT, bigger and with a wider web. Is this the one you have? If so, then a DCT would be the same but a little more compact.
e2e8-02-21-worth-player-series-13--slow-pitch-first-base-mitt--wpl130-fb-33939-1_l.jpg

Here is a Nokona version.
0169-03-20-nokona-walnut-13--first-base-mitt--w-n70-28927-1_l.jpg

And here is a Marucci version.
02ac-08-19-31647-1_l.jpg

They all "hinge" at the pinkie side of the heel.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
This mitt has a break in the padding on each side of the heel. You can see hinge lace on either side of the heel. It is meant to have a dual break, on each side of the heel.

image.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you pretty much like your Worth? If you'd love it if it were a bit more compact, then stick with the DCT style. Given your description of what you want, I'm going to suggest the Gloveworks 13.25" mitt. It is a DCT with an extra 1/4" of length, but the regular width web. Being narrower than the Worth, it wont feel so unwieldy. But if you think the length of your Worth is also too much, then get a regular old DCT type mitt. It will just be a more compact version of your Worth *in length and width). The Rawlings ProDCTCBG is a nice looking version.

DCT and Dual Core are completely different things. One is a model designation (DCT) and the other is a type of construction.

heycal

Do you pretty much like your Worth? If you'd love it if it were a bit more compact, then stick with the DCT style. Given your description of what you want, I'm going to suggest the Gloveworks 13.25" mitt. It is a DCT with an extra 1/4" of length, but the regular width web. Being narrower than the Worth, it wont feel so unwieldy. But if you think the length of your Worth is also too much, then get a regular old DCT type mitt. It will just be a more compact version of your Worth *in length and width). The Rawlings ProDCTCBG is a nice looking version.

DCT and Dual Core are completely different things. One is a model designation (DCT) and the other is a type of construction.

Thanks so much for your response and information, Rous. Fascinating stuff. Re your points, and some more questions if you'll indulge me:

1) I don't think that video is the greatest either, but when it comes to the glove swallowing the softball test, it's hard not to draw the conclusion it's not biggest enough...

2) I sort of almost now understand what DCT is. Which leads me to ask, ok, so what's so good about it, and/or good for softball?

3) Are you suggesting that DCT's gloves are good at accommodating the softball size even if marketed as "baseball" gloves, or just certain models?

4) I pretty much do like my Worth glove, the same one pictured above. It seems to scarf up some scoops I might otherwise have missed, but on occasion has felt too big, like if I had only a bit more control I would have made the play. (Blaming the glove!) Is it the width or length that's too big? I'm not sure, but I'd guess the length. But maybe it's all fine, and anything less than what I have would seem too small in some way? I just don't know.

5) While intrigued by that Gloveworks option, but very leery of trying a glove I can't return. I want to handle a glove before I commit to it, to make sure it fits my hand well, doesn't feel too heavy, and all that.

6) As a single break guy, should I avoid gloves that don't seem designed for that, or does it not much matter?

7) Finally, given all the above, I'm thinking I want a glove between 12.5-13". So which would be the candidates? Are there a few specific candidates you can recommend for me to look at (I realize you may have mentioned some above, but wasn't sure.) I'm a lefty, it should be noted, and it appears that not all gloves in all sizes come in my orientation.

And finally, do you and the rest of the gents here swear that a glove marketed as a "baseball" glove can handle a softball well? A couple of websites suggest getting softball specific gloves for softball since they are designed for that, a reasonable seeming suggestion to me. I don't want to be saying "damn this BASEBALL glove!" every time a softball pops out of my mitt.

Last edited:

heycal

. But if you think the length of your Worth is also too much, then get a regular old DCT type mitt. It will just be a more compact version of your Worth *in length and width). The Rawlings ProDCTCBG is a nice looking version..

Are you saying that this particular glove will feel a bit more maneuverable than the Worth (smaller in length and width) even though also a 13" glove, yet can still easily accommodate a softball?

Also, any observations or thoughts on the Wilson A2000 2021 12.5 fast pitch glove I'm checking out, and why it might or might not be a good one for me? (Seems too small compared to Worth, but I'm open to other opinions.)

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks so much for your response and information, Rous. Fascinating stuff. Re your points, and some more questions if you'll indulge me:

1) I don't think that video is the greatest either, but when it comes to the glove swallowing the softball test, it's hard not to draw the conclusion it's not biggest enough...

2) I sort of almost now understand what DCT is. Which leads me to ask, ok, so what's so good about it, and/or good for softball?

3) Are you suggesting that DCT's gloves are good at accommodating the softball size even if marketed as "baseball" gloves, or just certain models?

4) I pretty much do like my Worth glove, the same one pictured above. It seems to scarf up some scoops I might otherwise have missed, but on occasion has felt too big, like if I had only a bit more control I would have made the play. (Blaming the glove!) Is it the width or length that's too big? I'm not sure, but I'd guess the length. But maybe it's all fine, and anything less than what I have would seem too small in some way? I just don't know.

5) While intrigued by that Gloveworks option, but very leery of trying a glove I can't return. I want to handle a glove before I commit to it, to make sure it fits my hand well, doesn't feel too heavy, and all that.

6) As a single break guy, should I avoid gloves that don't seem designed for that, or does it not much matter?

7) Finally, given all the above, I'm thinking I want a glove between 12.5-13". So which would be the candidates? Are there a few specific candidates you can recommend for me to look at (I realize you may have mentioned some above, but wasn't sure.) I'm a lefty, it should be noted, and it appears that not all gloves in all sizes come in my orientation.

And finally, do you and the rest of the gents here swear that a glove marketed as a "baseball" glove can handle a softball well? A couple of websites suggest getting softball specific gloves for softball since they are designed for that, a reasonable seeming suggestion to me. I don't want to be saying "damn this BASEBALL glove!" every time a softball pops out of my mitt.

The DCT is good for softball because it has a wide pocket. It's not even the deepest baseball mitt out there.

Those Worths look like they are made out of pretty soft oil tanned leather. They can break in too far, getting floppy and getting you to feel you don't have control. A good Rawlings HOH should solve that problem.

The Rawlings ProFM19 and Miken Koalition 13" mitt) are others to check out (the Miken is another DCT variant, I think it measures a bit longer than a DCT). I don't have enough experience with any others beyond those I mentioned (DCT and 1883).
If you close with a single break, then stick with a glove that only has one hinge break.

Your Worth partially feels so deep because it has a super wide web. You probably need to find one in a store or order one from a store with a good return policy.

Again, the guy who made that video is saying stuff that doesn't match my experience. The 1883 has the biggest/deepest pocket of any mitt I have ever had in my hands, but you might find it unwieldy.

heycal

The DCT is good for softball because it has a wide pocket. It's not even the deepest baseball mitt out there.

Those Worths look like they are made out of pretty soft oil tanned leather. They can break in too far, getting floppy and getting you to feel you don't have control. A good Rawlings HOH should solve that problem.

The Rawlings ProFM19 and Miken Koalition 13" mitt) are others to check out (the Miken is another DCT variant, I think it measures a bit longer than a DCT). I don't have enough experience with any others beyond those I mentioned (DCT and 1883).
If you close with a single break, then stick with a glove that only has one hinge break.

Your Worth partially feels so deep because it has a super wide web. You probably need to find one in a store or order one from a store with a good return policy.

Again, the guy who made that video is saying stuff that doesn't match my experience. The 1883 has the biggest/deepest pocket of any mitt I have ever had in my hands, but you might find it unwieldy.

So Rawlings ProFM19 and Mike Koalation. Also the Marucci and Nokona pictured above? And is the 1883 a single break glove I should consider? If so, we now have 4 contenders!

As for sizing, are you thinking that even if I get another 13" glove, it will feel a bit more controllable than my 13" Worth?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
So Rawlings ProFM19 and Mike Koalation. Also the Marucci and Nokona pictured above? And is the 1883 a single break glove I should consider? If so, we now have 4 contenders!

As for sizing, are you thinking that even if I get another 13" glove, it will feel a bit more controllable than my 13" Worth?
It might, but only one way to find out. The 1883 is worth checking out, but I'm thinking you'll find it too unwieldy.

Oh, and I just posted the Marucci and Nokona to show how many DCT clones are out there. The Marucci Capitol Series might be the one from Marucci to check out.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
“5) While intrigued by that Gloveworks option, but very leery of trying a glove I can't return. I want to handle a glove before I commit to it, to make sure it fits my hand well, doesn't feel too heavy, and all that.”

Here’s the best part: I have samples of every Gloveworks model. Just message me and I can get you set up with the 13.25” first base mitt to try out.

Dan

heycal

It might, but only one way to find out. The 1883 is worth checking out, but I'm thinking you'll find it too unwieldy.

Oh, and I just posted the Marucci and Nokona to show how many DCT clones are out there. The Marucci Capitol Series might be the one from Marucci to check out.

ok, so maybe look at Marucci Capitol, the two Rawlings you mention, and the 1883?

The Profm19 glove is not a DCT glove, but still good for softball for some reason?

Is there any simple way without trying out a glove to determine if it might be suitable or not? I'm not sure I trust myself to make a smart judgement with so little knowledge.

Last edited:

heycal

Also, any observations or thoughts on the Wilson A2000 2021 12.5 fast pitch glove I'm checking out, and why it might or might not be a good one for me? (Seems too small compared to Worth, but I'm open to other opinions.)

^^^
Anyone want to weigh in here?