Probably redundant 1st base mitt help thread

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
most fastpitch gloves are like that. they don't build them to the same standard usually. i always recommend Easton Professionals on here because they can often be found waaay cheaper and have every bit the quality of HoH or A2000s. to throw another wrench into your thinking, i'd search EPG35BT on the bay. not a DCT pattern but the pattern works great for softball. i had one for years until i made the mistake of leaving it behind in a dugout.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe you need to go old school, like this Nokona SBM89 from the 1940s!
vusE6th.jpg

It's very nice looking.

Any thoughts on the Wilson glove I have in my possession?
Interesting.

Have you made a selection? Has your league started play? You've gotten some very good suggestions, would like to see what you have finally decided on.

If you are still looking, I am an old school guy, attached two pics of Wilson WTA2802BB1883, can't go wrong, plenty out there at good prices, new and used, perfect for softball.

Sitting on the sidelines here and looking at a lot of nice leather, a good thread to follow. Good luck

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 24
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 23

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Have you made a selection? Has your league started play? You've gotten some very good suggestions, would like to see what you have finally decided on.

If you are still looking, I am an old school guy, attached two pics of Wilson WTA2802BB1883, can't go wrong, plenty out there at good prices, new and used, perfect for softball.

Sitting on the sidelines here and looking at a lot of nice leather, a good thread to follow. Good luck
Hey, another one of the OG 1883s! I just found the pic of the one I relaced. You can def see that its made for a single break and how much smaller it is than the new version.
pTGoQ3h.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
most fastpitch gloves are like that. they don't build them to the same standard usually. i always recommend Easton Professionals on here because they can often be found waaay cheaper and have every bit the quality of HoH or A2000s. to throw another wrench into your thinking, i'd search EPG35BT on the bay. not a DCT pattern but the pattern works great for softball. i had one for years until i made the mistake of leaving it behind in a dugout.
That EPG looks like a modification of a DCT. It has the same basic shape and web, but does not have the cut away. They also changed the heel padding and palm lacing to make it more friendly to a dual heel break.

heycal

Thanks for the suggestions and photos, guys. I haven't made a selection yet, though I did send back the Wilson Fastpitch. I'm in no rush since I've got the new Worth glove I've been using and the season has already begun. That glove from the 1940's is cool, but I already feel old enough out there as it is!

The Wilson gloves Whipping Post displayed almost don't seem big enough for a softball. I'll investigate the Easton.

I think a major mental block I need to get over is buying a fancy baseball glove to play softball. I guess I really want to know that it doesn't matter and that's it big enough to swallow a softball (though not too big, Goldilocks!) The biggest reason I grabbed the Worth was because they market it as a Slowpitch men's glove, soothing my unquiet mind.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
gloves being made for slow pitch softball is a relatively new thing, at least marketing them as much as they have. there have been slim pickings for some time but it seems recently manufacturers have created whole lines. a lot of them are more mid-tier offerings. just remember, people have been playing softball a lot longer than these product lines have been around. they had to be getting the job done with something.

Thanks for the suggestions and photos, guys. I haven't made a selection yet, though I did send back the Wilson Fastpitch. I'm in no rush since I've got the new Worth glove I've been using and the season has already begun. That glove from the 1940's is cool, but I already feel old enough out there as it is!

The Wilson gloves Whipping Post displayed almost don't seem big enough for a softball. I'll investigate the Easton.

I think a major mental block I need to get over is buying a fancy baseball glove to play softball. I guess I really want to know that it doesn't matter and that's it big enough to swallow a softball (though not too big, Goldilocks!) The biggest reason I grabbed the Worth was because they market it as a Slowpitch men's glove, soothing my unquiet mind.

The two pics of the Wilson showed both one 12" softball in the pocket and two 12" softballs in the pocket. Did you say you were playing in the 16" softball league? There is a saying that often comes into play, "paralysis by analysis"

I wish you good luck in your search for the 1st base mitt that meets all of your requirements. :)

heycal

The two pics of the Wilson showed both one 12" softball in the pocket and two 12" softballs in the pocket. Did you say you were playing in the 16" softball league? There is a saying that often comes into play, "paralysis by analysis"

I wish you good luck in your search for the 1st base mitt that meets all of your requirements. :)

The ball we use is 12". And to me, that glove you displayed didn't seem quite deep enough for that 12" ball. Can you close the glove around it?

The ball we use is 12". And to me, that glove you displayed didn't seem quite deep enough for that 12" ball. Can you close the glove around it?

Can you see the picture? The pocket is large enough to hold two softballs. ????!!!!

Are you looking for a glove that will completely close around a softball? Like a clam shell? Why?

Have you played organized ball in your past? You mentioned your league play has begun. Seek out someone on another team and ask to see their 1st base mitt.

Do you maybe have a friend that is in the league that you might discuss what you are looking for?

Remember They don’t make a glove that will catch a ball all by itself.

heycal

Can you see the picture? The pocket is large enough to hold two softballs. ????!!!!

Are you looking for a glove that will completely close around a softball? Like a clam shell? Why?

Have you played organized ball in your past? You mentioned your league play has begun. Seek out someone on another team and ask to see their 1st base mitt.

Do you maybe have a friend that is in the league that you might discuss what you are looking for?

Remember They don’t make a glove that will catch a ball all by itself.

When I look at the photo, I see a ball in a shallow pocket -- at least compared to my present glove. When I see a shallow pocket like that I have visions of a ball popping out...

Ask someone in my league for a tip? A play co-ed and over 55 league. And these are normal people, not gear heads like you folks. Half don't even use 1B mitts, and even if they did, they probably couldn't offer much more insight than "I think it's a Wilson? Yes, that's it. It says Wilson on it right here..."

The last time I played organized ball, aside from the last few years, was when Carter was
president.

heycal

Behold the Mighty Worth:
upload_2021-5-17_18-31-31.jpegupload_2021-5-17_18-31-31.jpegupload_2021-5-17_18-31-31.jpeg

Note the daylight on either side of the ball here in this last attached photo. And no, that's not a ping pong ball I'm trying to pass off as a softball -- that's a genuine 12" Clincher, folks!

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Spend $160 on the Gloveworks 13.25" custom. If it turns out you don't like it, you can sell it for $110-$120. But its the most likely winner of all of them.

Behold the Mighty Worth:
View attachment 67432View attachment 67433View attachment 67434

Note the daylight on either side of the ball here in this last attached photo. And no, that's not a ping pong ball I'm trying to pass off as a softball -- that's a genuine 12" Clincher, folks!

Looks like a perfect glove for a fellow just starting back playing and in a Co-Ed league. I don't think i would waste any more of your time or anyone else's time. You got a winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!???

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I love my a2800, bought it brand new in 1992 as a junior in high school and used it for 5 years playing baseball, then started using for it softball, roughly 60 games a year, and never relaced, just wiped down and conditioned, it took about a season to get the pocket deeper for a softball, but clearly it works, I believe it’s a 12” and I prefer the shorter length, I have more control on scoops, pics etc and don’t worry about the ball coming out of the web like I would on some of the bigger mitts, I’ve tried a dct and it wasn’t for me, I get more lazy now and tend to just use my Wilson 1799 or Rawlings pro303 outfield gloves for games as I play all over now, but for games all at first I bust it out
6A29D42B-88EA-45D4-B008-84AFAD05AE7B.jpeg 7FA9B7C1-BBD6-420D-892C-3F71892A58E4.jpeg 41A30709-1228-405E-95B9-F27AAB328C37.jpeg

heycal

I love my a2800, bought it brand new in 1992 as a junior in high school and used it for 5 years playing baseball, then started using for it softball, roughly 60 games a year, and never relaced, just wiped down and conditioned, it took about a season to get the pocket deeper for a softball, but clearly it works, I believe it’s a 12” and I prefer the shorter length, I have more control on scoops, pics etc and don’t worry about the ball coming out of the web like I would on some of the bigger mitts, I’ve tried a dct and it wasn’t for me, I get more lazy now and tend to just use my Wilson 1799 or Rawlings pro303 outfield gloves for games as I play all over now, but for games all at first I bust it out
View attachment 67437 View attachment 67438 View attachment 67439

I like how it closes around the ball and swallows it up. And I can understand how you might prefer the better control of the shorter glove. I think about that issue too.

Spend $160 on the Gloveworks 13.25" custom. If it turns out you don't like it, you can sell it for $110-$120. But its the most likely winner of all of them.

You may be right -- It's a bit more compact in width and length than the Worth you said? It looks like the Steerhide would be 160, and the Kip 199. I don't know what the difference is, but I see folks saying the Kip is lighter so I would probably go with that.

Just for some Easton pics...
EPG35B for us normals and a EPG36WT for you weird wrong-handers. Webs are different and the 35 is an open back.
M6UmC7E.jpg

BKqqr0V.jpg

Eo1awiH.jpg

Seems like a nice glove. Though, using my newfound knowledge from this very thread, it appears to maybe be a glove designed for a double break and I'm a single break guy.

Looks like a perfect glove for a fellow just starting back playing and in a Co-Ed league. I don't think i would waste any more of your time or anyone else's time. You got a winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!???

Well, a bit more than just starting out since it's been 6 years of league play, though admittedly not high level competition.

The Worth is okay, but not what I consider perfect in a few ways. And I apologize if I'm wasting anyone's time -- obviously, this stuff is not important in the big picture, but it can be fun, at least for me, to chew things over in great detail.

Last edited:

heycal

Just for some Easton pics...
EPG35B for us normals and a EPG36WT for you weird wrong-handers. Webs are different and the 35 is an open b

Couldn't find this exact one. Is it similar to the Easton Professional 12.75 hybrid series? I saw that one, which has PCH K70 stamped on it, and appears to have that DCT style.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
the hybrid will be a high quality but cost will be on par with the HoH or A2000. the 35BT i saw is item# 353310796962 and at $75 it's a steal.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Behold the Mighty Worth:
View attachment 67432View attachment 67433View attachment 67434

From the looks of the ball in the pocket, it is a pretty large mitt. Probably pretty similar to the 13.25" Gloveworks (although the Worth web looks much wider).

heycal

From the looks of the ball in the pocket, it is a pretty large mitt. Probably pretty similar to the 13.25" Gloveworks (although the Worth web looks much wider).

Yes, sir, this baby is no midget. Wide and tall. I'm thinking the ideal mitt would be a tad smaller in both width and height.

heycal

the hybrid will be a high quality but cost will be on par with the HoH or A2000. the 35BT i saw is item# 353310796962 and at $75 it's a steal.

That's a good price for this glove, is it? Is it a heavy glove? One of the things I like about the Worth is it's relative lightness, just under 24 oz. The HOH's I've seen at the store seem light as well, whereas is the GG Elite was a bit heavy feeling.

How does this glove compare in quality to the better gloves on the market?

Last edited:

heycal

Taking a look at the Rawlings HOH 13" mitt, and now the Gloveworks 13.25 sample that Davis sent me.

The HOH is 2 oz heavier than the Worth, but does look and feel a bit more compact as Rous suggested. Nice enough fit.

The Gloveworks is pleasantly surprisingly lighter than my Worth (just under 24 oz), and the leather seems very nice. Fits well. It's somewhere in-between the HOH and the Worth in size I guess, but closer to the Worth.

Of the three gloves, the HOH is most different from the others due to more compact size, and would I imagine it would have more control and less likely to feel unwieldly. (I assume that comes with a trade off on certain plays? Some balls might get away!)

I guess if my one complaint about the Worth is a bit too much glove, than the HOH would maybe be the best for me.

I welcome any commentary if anyone is still following this most exciting drama.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Taking a look at the Rawlings HOH 13" mitt, and now the Gloveworks 13.25 sample that Davis sent me.

The HOH is 2 oz heavier than the Worth, but does look and feel a bit more compact as Rous suggested. Nice enough fit.

The Gloveworks is pleasantly surprisingly lighter than my Worth (just under 24 oz), and the leather seems very nice. Fits well. It's somewhere in-between the HOH and the Worth in size I guess, but closer to the Worth.

Of the three gloves, the HOH is most different from the others due to more compact size, and would I imagine it would have more control and less likely to feel unwieldly. (I assume that comes with a trade off on certain plays? Some balls might get away!)

I guess if my one complaint about the Worth is a bit too much glove, than the HOH would maybe be the best for me.

I welcome any commentary if anyone is still following this most exciting drama.
I don't think anyone looking from afar can offer anything else at this point. You have your preferences and three mitts in your hands. At this point, it's all on you. Let us know what you decide!

I can add that I am 53, I play first base, and the DCT would be too small for me. I use a 13" glove, but its about as big a 13" glove as exists. Deep, wide, and measures more like a 13.5".

heycal

I don't think anyone looking from afar can offer anything else at this point. You have your preferences and three mitts in your hands. At this point, it's all on you. Let us know what you decide!

I can add that I am 53, I play first base, and the DCT would be too small for me. I use a 13" glove, but its about as big a 13" glove as exists. Deep, wide, and measures more like a 13.5".

Ah, a fellow first basemen... What glove do you use?

I, of course, worry that the DCT would be too small for me as well, just as I worry that the 13" guys are too big:) Perhaps it's ultimately 'a six of one, half dozen of the other' situation when it comes to results -- the smaller glove helps on some plays, hurts on others, and vice-versa for the larger glove?

I'll probably continue playing with my gigantic Worth for awhile longer and see how it seems over the course of the season. Of the gloves, I've handled, I lean toward the Heart of the Hide for its more compact nature. It's closer to a "an extension of my hand, fits like a glove" feel.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Ah, a fellow first basemen... What glove do you use?

I, of course, worry that the DCT would be too small for me as well, just as I worry that the 13" guys are too big:) Perhaps it's ultimately 'a six of one, half dozen of the other' situation when it comes to results -- the smaller glove helps on some plays, hurts on others, and vice-versa for the larger glove?

I'll probably continue playing with my gigantic Worth for awhile longer and see how it seems over the course of the season. Of the gloves, I've handled, I lean toward the Heart of the Hide for its more compact nature. It's closer to a "an extension of my hand, fits like a glove" feel.
I use a custom Glovesmith 13".
yDdLRp8.jpg