Proper Seller Etiquette

Solo

The Veteran
So I was reading the rules on this and just have a simple question. If a buyer has a recent GTG feedback; is it ok for the seller to move on to the next person based on location of shipping? At first they were willing to send it pending the cost of shipping, then another person shows interest and for some reason now its a concern to ship to my location and the item is sold...who else sees the shadiness in this? :wtf2:

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Was a deal agreed upon? That is the definer. If you were in negotiations and someone comes along that is easier to deal with, say a better shipping place, then they can choose to make that deal. It kinda sucks, but unless you are willing to pay a little extra or whatever to get the deal in your favor, then seller can pick who t deal with. Don't want it to get like that cuz it is not supposed to be an auction site. A fine line.
However, if a deal is agreed upon by both parties, and then a better 'deal' comes along? That would be a BB type of thing as they were going against their word once deal was formally agreed upon.

Am I on track with what you are asking?

Solo

The Veteran
Was a deal agreed upon? That is the definer. If you were in negotiations and someone comes along that is easier to deal with, say a better shipping place, then they can choose to make that deal. It kinda sucks, but unless you are willing to pay a little extra or whatever to get the deal in your favor, then seller can pick who t deal with. Don't want it to get like that cuz it is not supposed to be an auction site. A fine line.
However, if a deal is agreed upon by both parties, and then a better 'deal' comes along? That would be a BB type of thing as they were going against their word once deal was formally agreed upon.

Am I on track with what you are asking?

It was kind of sketchy was in communication with the individual and asked for PP info, then he said he just wants to verify how much it was for postage to send to APO because he was looking to pay only $10 and i told him that i would pay the difference of $5 for a total of $15 what I've see it cost to ship here. By then he had another person inquire, then he says he doesn't feel comfortable shipping overseas and it's gone. Didn't even get a chance to give him a stateside address to ship it to if he felt uneasy about shipping to APO.

We're you willing to pay a little more for the extra shipping cost?

Yes I was been trying to get a grasp of a J3A for a while now.

Last edited:

jwashko9

Addicted to Softballfans
It sounds to me like your seller might have had another buyer on the line all along. I have had a couple of deals that were in negotiations get sold to another person, and I live here in the US. It could be one of a couple things. It could be that the seller was just going to take the first person who actually paid. But more than likely, it was the overseas shipping. I have noticed over the years that a lot of sellers do not want to ship anywhere outside of the US - even if both parties realize it may cost more money and you can figure out whose paying for the difference. I have sold a couple bats to customers in Canada and have had no issue. As long as the buyer is willing to throw up a few more bucks for the shipping, I don't think its a big deal. But people will sometimes tell you that it creates more of a headache than its worth. I can't speak to every experience, just the couple I have had.

It's all about how much the seller really wants to move the bat, and how much that seller is willing to make a sale. I would imagine that a lot of guys would rather drag their feet to your offer in hopes that someone from the US makes a deal. Shady, yes. But that's the world we live in.

If I can make a suggestion for the future, tell people right away that you have a US address to ship to. If you keep up the 100% feedback, people "shouldn't" have a problem shipping to this US address. It might make things easier for you to make purchases.

Doug

Old and Grumpy
If you have an APO address I'd ship for free but that's me. Never had a problem.

If you wanted a J3A just get the 2014 Juggy, they are very very similar and plentiful.

Solo

The Veteran
It sounds to me like your seller might have had another buyer on the line all along. I have had a couple of deals that were in negotiations get sold to another person, and I live here in the US. It could be one of a couple things. It could be that the seller was just going to take the first person who actually paid. But more than likely, it was the overseas shipping. I have noticed over the years that a lot of sellers do not want to ship anywhere outside of the US - even if both parties realize it may cost more money and you can figure out whose paying for the difference. I have sold a couple bats to customers in Canada and have had no issue. As long as the buyer is willing to throw up a few more bucks for the shipping, I don't think its a big deal. But people will sometimes tell you that it creates more of a headache than its worth. I can't speak to every experience, just the couple I have had.

It's all about how much the seller really wants to move the bat, and how much that seller is willing to make a sale. I would imagine that a lot of guys would rather drag their feet to your offer in hopes that someone from the US makes a deal. Shady, yes. But that's the world we live in.

If I can make a suggestion for the future, tell people right away that you have a US address to ship to. If you keep up the 100% feedback, people "shouldn't" have a problem shipping to this US address. It might make things easier for you to make purchases.

Thanks I'll make sure to do that next time so as to not lose to that next person.

If you have an APO address I'd ship for free but that's me. Never had a problem.

If you wanted a J3A just get the 2014 Juggy, they are very very similar and plentiful.

Just wish people thought more like you; I appreciate the info, I'm going to have to look out for a new Juggy now. This is just the first time it's happened to me but I'm sure not the last.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
One other factor that needs to be in the discussion is the fact that this forum has established the concept that the seller is responsible for delivery of the bat to the buyer .... any problem with that delivery falls back on the seller to undo the deal if necessary....

This factor makes the shipping a concern where delivery is 'out of the norm'...

A deal is in place when both sides have totally agreed on what is going to take place ... if one side is still 'figuring it out', then the deal is not yet complete... however, in the interest of fair play, both sides should try to reach an agreement based on the first-come, first-served principle, just so no one feels cheated out of a deal...

%%%

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
One other factor that needs to be in the discussion is the fact that this forum has established the concept that the seller is responsible for delivery of the bat to the buyer .... any problem with that delivery falls back on the seller to undo the deal if necessary....

This factor makes the shipping a concern where delivery is 'out of the norm'...
%%%

This was my thought too. Even after over 60 g2g deals, I would still be very reluctant to ship overseas because all the responsibility of that item being delivered falls on me. Id be more inclined to send something to a long standing g2g member but still would have me very nervous.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
I might as well live on Jupiter rather than Alaska when it comes to shipping stuff here sometimes--it's not as if we don't have the same USPS the Lower 48 has. Same goes for APOs...sure, it may take an extra 2-3 days to reach its destination, but it's all still USPS and the military responsible for shipment. I'd typically rather trust them over Team UPS and Team FedEx.

Bald

Star Player
I don't see a huge issue shipping stuff to an APO. I've had stuff shipped to APOs in Germany and Iraq and never had a problem. I even had a squad member in Iraq that would have buy anything that a certain jungle site would ship to an APO without a single issue. Even had a queen size bed shipped over haha.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Yes. Ultimately it is the sellers choice where he deals with. I have shipped to APO but definitely prefer to ship to the norm. But try to help military when possible. Try not to take it personal, just be upfront about it and there are guys here that don't have issues. You might have to baby step them through the process a little.
If they say ok and then back out, different story.

dbuckley23

Addicted to Softballfans
I shipped a bat to an APO and it was much cheaper then i figured it would be. Took an extra 2 weeks to finally get to the buyer, and you cant track it for a while but i think its all worth it to help out a brother. Who many of us forget, is there to give us the freedoms we take for granted.

Solo

The Veteran
Brothers I appreciate all the information/responses and even more so the ones that support/appreciate us over here giving up certain coveniences to protect our freedom. I know it's my choice being in the military but it's because of brothers like you that I continue to serve proudly!:usa2:

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
imo, and this comes up a LOT being in Canada...

if the seller and buyer have agreed upon a price, it's a done deal. but if they are negotiating, alls fair. I've had it where I've posted a bat online and then ended up selling it to a team mate. had I agreed to a price with somebody online(and that has happened) then I'm obligated to sell to that person, even if a better offer(price or location) comes up.

I just think the most important thing is to be upfront and honest. I've had it where a seller straight up said shipping to Canada was annoying, and they had another person interested that they wanted to try first, and while it's frustrating, I think it's understandable. other times I've haggled, and finally agreed to their price and when I ask for pp info they reply back the bat was sold to somebody 'local'. those are the ones that bug me a bit.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
This thread reminds me of a seller that I encountered about 4 years ago.

We agreed to a price on a shrek Catty ($180 shipped). I asked for pp addy, and he said "oh, I found out that it'll cost me a little more than expected to ship" and "I can get more for it on Ebay". My response was basically "WTF, you'd rather pay $25 in Ebay fees to get $10 more for the bat?"

I gave him another chance to honor the deal we made, but he refused, and was a real @-hole about it too.

It's best to just ignore people like that. Write them off and never do business with them again. If you let it get to you, they win.

I have done a couple overseas trades involving APO addresses. Impossible for me to believe that someone willing to leave home in service to their country would rip me off for a $200 bat! I've also lived overseas and had USPS delivered to me with good results.

He really won if you are still hanging onto it 4 years later.