Protective Nets

rickmanning22

Addicted to Softballfans
Played our first league the other night and when we got to the field we found that the league implemented a new safety rule: A giant protective net in front of the pitchers mound. Needless to say it is the dumbest thing i've ever seen.

Anyone else run into this before?

I play in Jacksonville Fl.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
I would not be wholly opposed to such a thing. In fact, I may become a pitcher if I could stand behind a net. But that's just me.

cheato

TRACKIN'
Played our first league the other night and when we got to the field we found that the league implemented a new safety rule: A giant protective net in front of the pitchers mound. Needless to say it is the dumbest thing i've ever seen.

Anyone else run into this before?

I play in Jacksonville Fl.

u must play in the same league lord7 plays in

rickmanning22

Addicted to Softballfans
its a foul ball.

And a out if its your 2nd foul with 2 strikes.

I'm saying it should be up to the 2 teams playing or if they want make everyone buy their pitchers helmets

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
Watched some of the unlimited bracket at the NSA tourney I played in this past weekend, and they used a screen. If you hit it with 1 strike it was strike 2, if you hit it with 2 strikes you were out. Saw some nasty shots hit the screen.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
Or just play the ****in' game... So are MLB pitchers gonna wear helmets next?

When is MLB going to allow hot composite bats.....as if they can't hit it hard enough already....but can you imagine the velocity those balls would have? NOBODY would be able to dodge them!

M22KLARS

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
When is MLB going to allow hot composite bats.....as if they can't hit it hard enough already....but can you imagine the velocity those balls would have? NOBODY would be able to dodge them!

Whatever you just said there was just plain stupid.

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
Whatever you just said there was just plain stupid.

I think he's saying MLB pitchers are safe with wood bat exit speed and the 60'6" distance, but if they were to allow high performance composite bats there would be a bunch of dead pitchers

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Interestingly, I play senior league ball at various levels with various balls and bats ... and nobody uses screens. I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... we just don't do it. When the subject came up, several pitchers said they wanted to field their position. Granted, in senior ball there isn't a "middle war mentality", so that's not an issue.

If we used a net, I think it should be a foul ball. Once you've protected the pitcher, making it an out is excessive. If you don't use a screen, making a line-drive hit between the ends of the pitching "rubber" makes sense ... but not if a screen's in use.