Proud Grandpa!

defos

My granddaughter and her dad told me she needs a bigger bat and bigger glove, so I went through my stash. She swung a couple of bats in the basement last week and said either would work, but she didn't care for any of the several gloves I showed her. I dug a little deeper and found a couple more gloves which I had her try on when she was here this week. As with the bats, she said either would be good, and then said, "This one is deeper, but that one is wider where I actually catch the ball." This was after looking at them for no more than 30 seconds. She chose the wider one. She was spot on in her analysis! The difference isn't that obvious, and is mainly due to the webs - the basket web is deeper and the glove with the modified trap opens wider. It'll get deeper as it gets used.

Why am I so proud and impressed? She's 8 1/2 and just started playing 8U coach pitch last fall. She's played no more than 30 games total. And yet she made the correct assessment of these 2 gloves in an instant. Most of the guys I play with could stare at them all day and not come up with what she did!

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
If she likes the wider pocket, are you going to teach her to put the ring and pinkie in the pinkie hole and slide the other fingers over?

defos

No. I'm not a TIP guy, and at this point, she has plenty of other things to figure out. If she plays next year, she'll have to move up an age group without her teammates, unless the coach decides to move the whole team up. At 9U, she'll have to figure out strike zones and more.