Question about classing a new player (me)

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
I see on lots of sites where they have limited specific players (by name in some cases) who are not allowed to play in certain divisions. Not that they have been banned, but more like "Player A" can't play in any division lower than C because they have a higher skill level.

So for someone in my situation--just getting back into playing after a few years wearing my manager/coach pants--what do I need to tell the teams/LD/TD about my skill-set? I have played a LOT of tourney ball at the C level but that was years ago. I don't think I can just jump back into that level and be competitive right from jump. Would be pretty embarrassing for me to go back in there and cause a loss for my team because I still need to shake the rust off.

On the other hand, I'm worried that if I play too low, some folks might get pissed and think I'm bagging on purpose if I underestimated my skill level. The last thing I want to do is put the team in danger of having some sort of penalty placed on them for something I do (especially if it's purely ignorance on my part). I'd feel horrible.

Honest question here, I'm really not sure what to do. Half of me wants to go back into C because I love competition, regardless of how badly I'm overmatched. Just makes me a stronger player...just don't want it to be at the rest of the team's expense.

Play in a couple of E tournies...if you are really that good, better teams will pick you quick enough for you not to get a bad rep for playing down..

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
Player classification only goes back so many years I believe. So you can play any level you want. Buti recommend playing highest level possible based on your abilities. Nothing makes you better than playing a high level of competition

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
Play in a couple of E tournies...if you are really that good, better teams will pick you quick enough for you not to get a bad rep for playing down..
This sounds like what I was thinking in my head. Worst case, I can just explain the situation. Of course I am in the redneck capitol of the universe, and these guys divide their time fairly even between the softball fields, bars, gun/knife shows, and monster truck shows.

Player classification only goes back so many years I believe. So you can play any level you want. Buti recommend playing highest level possible based on your abilities. Nothing makes you better than playing a high level of competition
See this is the same way I see it, I just don't want the team to suffer if I need to work back up to where I used to be before my break.

wink

Winkleton
also remember. if you've been out of it for a while, your not gonna be as good as before, also for most as you get older your skill level drops. So you may not have to worry about it.
I used to play C but over the last 4 years I've lost some edge. I wouldn't even think of playing higher than D and should keep my ass in E.

Now my mind says, oh thats an easy one, but my legs, back, lungs, arms, ankles, elbow, knees and cardio laugh at my brain.....