Question about Pitching

shaun47

Injured
Have been trying to find things that really throw batters off and seems to me (in utrip) something that does is pitching 6 feet behind the rubber.

I was wondering what you expert pitchers think about pitching that far back and do you think it helps you plug the middle?

As a batter, does seeing a pitcher pitch that far back throw you off?

I have hit against some pitchers that do it, but it seems like it is just a pitch in their aresenal and they only do it 10-20% of the time......

I would like to pitch from there 90% of the time and pitch from the rubber 10% of the time....

Any info appreciated.....

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I suggest your team finds a pitcher who isn't scared of the ball. ;)

j/k guy but yeah, seems to be a nice piece of a pitchers arsenal. You can't really gain an advantage on any good hitter but mixing up your approach is probably the best way to have success as a pitcher. Not sure how much different it would make if you throw every pitch from back there tho...

hitsone

Up here in the Great White North our assoc SPN allows a 2'x15' pitching corridor. This allows pitchers to choose 50-65 distances. A lot of guys are now using the 65 with some cheating back as far as 70' as the box is seldom marked.
It does have an effect on the pitch perception. As always some batters like it some have trouble. Seems to me that there are more balls thrown from 65' but the pitchers defensive area is increased.

dan

Manager
Pitching from a greater distance:

GOOD FOR PITCHER
Pitcher is in better defensive position
Pitcher is less likely to stop a liner with his face
Batter must adjust to new and different pitches
Knuckler will break more with longer, flatter, faster pitch

GOOD FOR BATTER
Ball comes in flatter, making it easier to hit squarely
Ball comes in faster, giving it more speed back out when it is hit
Pitcher will have more trouble hitting the strike zone the farther he is from the plate
Topped ball that stops four feet in front of plate is a sure single, because pitcher can't get to it in time

geta hit

r.i.p teddy garcia teddy3
To be a good pitcher u have to throw strikes when needed second is then mixing your arsenal up. Bottom line u have to throw meat when needed.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I don't see an advantage, unless you've got guys hitting middle and the pitcher needs more reaction time. As a batter, flatter pitches are easier to read and therefore that much easier to hit.

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
You can throw hitters off enough varying from 3ft arc, to 10 ft height. Get good at both of those distances with about 2 types of pitches and you will be good. Throwing strikes helps too lol

buser699

Heading Home
You can throw hitters off enough varying from 3ft arc, to 10 ft height. Get good at both of those distances with about 2 types of pitches and you will be good. Throwing strikes helps too lol

a decent pump fake and some trick pitchs to. don't really need to be meat but close enough to make the batter worry

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
I wonder if standing 6 feet behind the mound will give some of these uber curve balls an extra 2 feet of break...

JSmalls

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends on how its used. IMO if its used 80 to 90% of the time it has no effect on the batter but does provide more reaction time and range to the pitcher. If you throw a first pitch strike, get the ball back quick while you adjust without the batter watching the distance change then throw another pitch close it may slightly mess with the batters timing, but if it does it will be slight.
I use it more once I get the first strike, I normally will move around between each pitch to make it look normal. If I walk towards second base and act like I'm talking then turn and walk back towards the rubber (displaying the ball to the batteronce I reach the six foot mark) I can let it go in stride while some think I will be getting set to release. But once again, get the first strike and if it does adjust their timing it will be slight. Not much of a startle factor.
It can make a high curveball fall off the table, especially with wind, but this takes a ton of practice. The more distance you create then the more control you will need.
Gaurd your grill and watch your lips