Question About The DS

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought a DS about a month ago and the weather finally got nice enough to take it out for some BP. My question is do these things take a little bit to break in i put about 70 swings on it and it opened up a little but not a great deal. I have been swinging combats now for about 4 years and never had one feel so stiff and not open up in around 50 swings so is it just a matter of it needing more swings to get it broken in. Another thing i noticed is that the swing weight feels a little different than my other combats so are these two issues i am having pretty normal and i just need to be patient with the bat and it will be smashing the piss out of the ball after getting some swings on it. If you guys could give me some advice that already have a DS in terms of how long it take to get broken in and get really hot and how you broke it in would be greatly appreciated.

BIG 3

Addicted to Softballfans
big difference in the endload of the ds compared to most combats.................I'd say no more than 100 hits you should be good to go bro, stick w/it the ds is one of the best combats out there..............

bat monger

Combat Advisory staff
50-150 swings is about right. Try a few more. Should web up soon. Maybe the bat doesn't fit your swing if it still doesn't feel right after another 100 cuts or so.

BIG 3

Addicted to Softballfans
endload maybe too much, I may have to take this off your hands............:rolleyes:

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I disagree.

Of the ..............7 and counting DS plagues I have loved and abused, all took at least 300 to become ..............game ready.
I do have a personal theory. This has cost me a few bats, but I believe that colder weather......not freezing, but within reason......bp actually breaks in a bat quicker and doesnt seem to shorten its life.

For example; I had a C endcap plague that just wouldnt open up. I put a legit 300 swings on it, then sold it. Within a week I got another NIW. I swung it 100 swings in 60 degrees with same mix of balls I hit my other with. By swing 40, there was a noticable sound change. It has been money ever since that wknd of bp.

BigJ22

I disagree.

Of the ..............7 and counting DS plagues I have loved and abused, all took at least 300 to become ..............game ready.
I do have a personal theory. This has cost me a few bats, but I believe that colder weather......not freezing, but within reason......bp actually breaks in a bat quicker and doesnt seem to shorten its life.

For example; I had a C endcap plague that just wouldnt open up. I put a legit 300 swings on it, then sold it. Within a week I got another NIW. I swung it 100 swings in 60 degrees with same mix of balls I hit my other with. By swing 40, there was a noticable sound change. It has been money ever since that wknd of bp.

I agree with the 300 mark. Maybe not quite 300 but 200+. Mine has about 200-250 and is starting to get pretty nasty. Loudest crack I've heard besides my LV.

squeakslang3

offically unofficial
there really isnt a certain number, i think alot depends on how hard you swing. im a smaller guy who doesnt generate a alot of power. so a bat that would take 3-400 cuts may take me 7-800 cuts to break in. moral of the story, you'll know when its ready.

Sixes

K C C O
there really isnt a certain number, i think alot depends on how hard you swing. im a smaller guy who doesnt generate a alot of power. so a bat that would take 3-400 cuts may take me 7-800 cuts to break in. moral of the story, you'll know when its ready.

yeah and mine took about 50 swings to get silly......but i am 6'4" 275

you get one of these yet?

tee_dub660

BP Hero's Sidekick
I am probably an average build (6' - 210lbs) mainly pull the ball and the DS's that I have swung take at least 100 cuts or more to break in. There will be a DEFINITE sound difference once broke in.

suitor

Addicted to Softballfans
Got a DS webbed after first 5 swings. Now it has 300 hits on it and I don't think it is fully broken in yet.

BigJ22

yeah and mine took about 50 swings to get silly......but i am 6'4" 275

you get one of these yet?

I am still not seeing the correlation to this tho. I am 6'6 ~325-350lbs and swing hard as well but it just seemed like it took unusually long for it to heat up. However I have other bats that typically take longer to break in (SB98,GSR) Have gotten hot faster.

It varies so much and what not. I dont really have answer personally but can say that I thought the DS took a bit longer than expected.

whtcrxghst

Addicted to Softballfans
I would just keep swinging. My first DS looked new and didn't have a single spiderweb in the first 100 swings. Felt like hitting with a 2x4 until about 300. The next 1000 swings or so were awesome until it imploded. Second DS webbed up much faster and broke much faster. Even though all bats come from the same factory, doesn't mean they are the same specs

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
I got mine, took it to the cage, put 50 hits on it and that thing was hitting seeds back the middle and webbed like crazy. I came home, cleaned it up and put er away in the bag. She's waiting for at least 65 degrees.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I disagree.

I'd agree on this, just watch the controls on all the variables, such as ball temp/storage, humidity, etc...

I like to throw in some 525s initially to get things started ;)

j-sig

Addicted to Softballfans
mine took a while to open/web up...but thats cause i was hitting used classic m's in the st louis humid summer lol

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
The one NIW one I had took about 150-200 to web, and 300 to become 'game ready'. Then, I sold it :rolleyes: :(

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
I am going to go put another 70 to 100 swings on it today and hopefully that will open it up a bit. It might take a few more swings I am about 5' 11" 225 to 230 but I swing hard as hell and usually hit a bomb or two a game so I dont think my swing is an issue I think I just need to put some more swings on this to open this bad boy up.

snaggs1917

Addicted to Softballfans
Took another 100 swings with it today and it opened up rather nicely now i am dropping bombs at will and consistently hitting the ball 350+ thanks fella's for giving me the advice helped me not to get discouraged and give up on a bat that is definitely going to be my utrip gamer all year long. I have a good feeling this bat is going to be straight sick once it really opens up and there was a definite difference it the sound it makes now as compared to the sound it made out of the wrapper.

j-sig

Addicted to Softballfans
Took another 100 swings with it today and it opened up rather nicely now i am dropping bombs at will and consistently hitting the ball 350+ thanks fella's for giving me the advice helped me not to get discouraged and give up on a bat that is definitely going to be my utrip gamer all year long. I have a good feeling this bat is going to be straight sick once it really opens up and there was a definite difference it the sound it makes now as compared to the sound it made out of the wrapper.

wow,, didnt take you long to figure out how to post correctly on here lol