ASA Question for NCASAUmp...

jro44

Addicted to Softballfans
I have an unusual question that I am hoping someone can answer and since I see a lot of NCASAUmp with great answers maybe he can help..

Situation: Our League starts with a 1&1 count and it's ball 3 (technically ball 2). Batter just stands there with the bat down expecting the pitcher will throw a ball and he will take a walk; ball is pitched and the catcher walks up and in front of the plate while the ball is in the air and quickly peels off as the ball hits the plate for a strike. Umpire calls strike and batter complains it was interference. Ump says "it is only interference if you are intending to swing the bat; since you had no intention, it's not interference". guy grounded out next pitch but bitched the rest of the game. Nobody seemed to know exactly what the right call was on the field. I was watching the game and tended to agree with the ump; but don't exactly know the right call..

Sorry soo long but needed to get the details out there. Just curious on the correct call. Thanks.

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
by plate do you mean a strike zone mat? I think seeing as interference is a judgement call in the first place in this instance as the batter had no intention of taking the swing and the bat was not in a position to swing in the umpires judgement there was no interference.

how do you know he didn't want to swing,with someone standing in front like that,makes it difficult.can't assume he wasn't gonna........

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
how do you know he didn't want to swing,with someone standing in front like that,makes it difficult.can't assume he wasn't gonna........

OP states that the batter was standing at the plate with the bat down. Can't really swing at least a legal attempt at the ball with the bat at your hip.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I have an unusual question that I am hoping someone can answer and since I see a lot of NCASAUmp with great answers maybe he can help..

Situation: Our League starts with a 1&1 count and it's ball 3 (technically ball 2). Batter just stands there with the bat down expecting the pitcher will throw a ball and he will take a walk; ball is pitched and the catcher walks up and in front of the plate while the ball is in the air and quickly peels off as the ball hits the plate for a strike.

That isn't softball.

Umpire calls strike and batter complains it was interference. Ump says "it is only interference if you are intending to swing the bat; since you had no intention, it's not interference". guy grounded out next pitch but bitched the rest of the game. Nobody seemed to know exactly what the right call was on the field. I was watching the game and tended to agree with the ump; but don't exactly know the right call..

Sorry soo long but needed to get the details out there. Just curious on the correct call. Thanks.

To start, it would be obstruction, not interference.

Secondly, how do you know the batter had no intention of contacting the ball? Just because a batter isn't holding the bat the way YOU expect him to does not mean he has forfeited his right or desire to hit the ball.

And then there is 6SP.6.Catcher.A

The catcher must remain within the lines of the catcher's box until the pitched ball is batted, touches the round, plate, batter, or reaches the catcher's box.

The effect is an illegal pitch which means that the batter cannot be called out on strikes without swinging the bat.

jro44

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the info. Don't think I will ever see something like that again; but good to know the actual rule..

There's no rule on how you are required to hold a bat so you could swing it holding it anywhere. How does the umpire know a batter's intentions?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
There's no rule on how you are required to hold a bat so you could swing it holding it anywhere. How does the umpire know a batter's intentions?

You're right, there's no rule.

But just because he's holding the bat a particular way doesn't mean that he's giving up his right to swing the ball and attempt to hit the ball. The catcher took away his chance to change his mind.

Macken

Starting Player
why do catchers (usually the worse person the team) always pull **** like this? they either do funny stuff back there or run there mouth every single pitch?

Darkness

Starting Player
why do catchers (usually the worse person the team) always pull **** like this? they either do funny stuff back there or run there mouth every single pitch?

Bored. Gotta do somethin'. Poor catcher rarely makes a significant play.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Bored. Gotta do somethin'. Poor catcher rarely makes a significant play.
Then you've got a bad catcher.

It's a combination of things...chatting with the umpire (in some cases) can swing a borderline call. Chatting with the batters can distract them somewhat. But doing something like the OP described is just stupid.