Any Randomly thought of a scenario

So here is the scenario I randomly thought of.

Runners on 1st and 2nd. In my mind the outs in the scenario are irrelevant so we will go with 1 out. Batter hits a line drive up the middle. Runner on 2nd doesn't see the ball get passed the pitcher and is struck by the ball while still having a foot in contact with the base. What is the call in this scenario?

I've thought of a couple myself but aren't sure if they are correct or if they even are applicable.

Thought #1 - Ball is dead all runners advance 1 base.

Thought #2 - Ball is dead runner on 1st is awarded second as they're forced to advance. Runner on 2nd is out as they are no longer entitled to the base due to the force. Batter is awarded 1st base.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing something? Is there a rule that can be cited for this particular scenario? Any and all sanctions I feel like would have the same ruling but if there are different rulings for different sanctions I'd love to know. Thank you everyone in advance.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
This is specifically handled in each of the sanctions rule books actually. USA would have the ball dead, award the batter runner 1st and advance anyone forced. The runner in contact with the base is not out unless the umpire judges the contact was intentional. USA Rule 8.8.M

USSSA handles it slightly differently but it’s similar.

Last edited:
This is specifically handled in each of the sanctions rule books actually. USA would have the ball dead, award the batter runner 1st and advance anyone forced. The runner in contact with the base is not out unless the umpire judges the contact was intentional. USA Rule 8.8.M

USSSA handles it slightly differently but it’s similar.
So even though the runner is forced to advance as long as they aren't intentionally putting their arm or leg, I don't know why anyone would, in the path of the ball it's a dead ball and runners are awarded 1 base interesting. I'm glad someone had an answer.

jonsey

also and this hardly ever happens.. if for some reason an infielder shifted over near 2B and was positioned to the side a few feet but ahead of the runner and the batted ball passed him and hit the runner it would be a live ball.. I have had this happen a couple times at 1B when 1Bmen was playing in ahead of the runner

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
So even though the runner is forced to advance as long as they aren't intentionally putting their arm or leg, I don't know why anyone would, in the path of the ball it's a dead ball and runners are awarded 1 base interesting. I'm glad someone had an answer.
It has nothing to do with being forced or not. They are safe if struck with a fair batted ball while in contact with a base. Says nothing about "the base they are entitled to".

And "runners aren't awarded a base". The batter is put on first base and you advance anyone forced. If they aren't forced, they stay at the last base touched which, unless they are The Flash, is likely where they were at the time of the pitch. In your scenario, it's true that everyone advances. But if you had 1st and 3rd to begin with, just the runner from 1st advances due to the force - the runner on third stays on third.

It has nothing to do with being forced or not. They are safe if struck with a fair batted ball while in contact with a base. Says nothing about "the base they are entitled to".

And "runners aren't awarded a base". The batter is put on first base and you advance anyone forced. If they aren't forced, they stay at the last base touched which, unless they are The Flash, is likely where they were at the time of the pitch. In your scenario, it's true that everyone advances. But if you had 1st and 3rd to begin with, just the runner from 1st advances due to the force - the runner on third stays on third.
Thank you for clearing that up. I was wondering how that would play out. We've all seen someone get hit by a ball when running the bases but I'd never seen someone get hit while still in contact with the base so I thought I'd ask.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA it's a live ball and play on. The only way it's a dead ball is if the umpire judges that the runner contacted the ball intentionally, then the runner is out, the batter is awarded first base and any runners forced to advance do. USSSA rule 8.12.L

USSSA it's a live ball and play on. The only way it's a dead ball is if the umpire judges that the runner contacted the ball intentionally, then the runner is out, the batter is awarded first base and any runners forced to advance do. USSSA rule 8.12.L
Thank you for educating me.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Thanks @EAJuggalo

To that point, it’s not always dead in USA. If it had passed a fielder (not the pitcher or catcher) before it struck the runner and no other infielder had an opportunity to field it then the ball is live and play on. Doesn’t happen often in softball.