Any Rant- Blown Call

KootrNtrudr

Addicted to Softballfans
I was pitching last night with bases loaded and no outs. Batter hits a solid shot to center field that looks like it is going to go over the LC head. Somehow he makes the catch but all the bases runners already advanced one base. We get the ball in and touch 2nd to get the runner there out. ( that is 2outs now). Everybody on the other team thought that was the 3rd out so the runner that got back to 3rd base starts walking towards dugout and I tag him off the bag and I bring it to umps attention. He then just told the runner to go back to the bag. I then also noticed that the runner that was on 1st was already back in the dugout and left the field of play and also should have been out. The ump then tells them to get back on first and resume play with 2 outs. :eek: ..... Ok, I'll quit my B'n

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If all apparent progress had stopped, then time SHOULD be called, but it is NOT REQUIRED for the umpire to call time. If, in the umpire's judgment, all apparent progress had stopped and no runners are in jeopardy, then that's it. It's the same as if time is called. It's not a good idea for an umpire to leave it "open" like this, but it's still acceptable.

So on that call, the umpire was right. Quit your fussing.

As for the runner leaving first base and entering the dugout, it sounds to me like he abandoned the base and should be out, but I'm guessing there's more to the story than what I'm reading here. As such, I can neither agree nor disagree with the umpire's call without having seen the play.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Did the ump think it was 3 outs? If so he would probably put the runners back on 1st and 3rd and play from there. Atleast that is the way I have always seen it done.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
this is a HTBt ( had to be there) type play..

In USSSA you got a out as soon as you enter the dugouts, but if the umpire calls time cause he thinks the play is over, then you really have no leg to stand on.

TommyMass

Addicted to Softballfans
??outs??

I would tend agree w/NCASAUMPIRE; there is more to this play.
A safe bet would be that for some reason the umpire lead the offensive team to believe that there was one out @ the point of the last pitch. If this was the case he (she) was protecting the hitting team.
On the othe hand, I like USSSA's explanation; the runner out for being stupid!
All should have known the game situation...hey s..t happens!