Rare softball bats

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
You know it's crazy, but is there anything to the theory behind the Tidal Wave? Everybody whines about every extra tenth of an ounce of end load, but couldn't water or some other sort of weight transfer system in a modern bat generate "Maximum end load allowable by the ASA at the point of contact with a balanced swing through the zone."? Couldn't be any worse than Reebok punching holes in the taper or Miken letting you swap barrells.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
You know it's crazy, but is there anything to the theory behind the Tidal Wave? Everybody whines about every extra tenth of an ounce of end load, but couldn't water or some other sort of weight transfer system in a modern bat generate "Maximum end load allowable by the ASA at the point of contact with a balanced swing through the zone."? Couldn't be any worse than Reebok punching holes in the taper or Miken letting you swap barrells.

how would you get water to stay in the composite bat:confused:

AveregeJay

Banned User

Steve Butler explained that the 3 holes on the taper on the Reebok bats allowed him to generate 4mph more swing speed. Real Talk.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
how would you get water to stay in the composite bat:confused:

Is composite pourous? I figured it would be sealed up just like a plastic wiffle ball bat. But the point is it could be any sort of weight transfer system. A disk or sleeve the slides inside like a piston, a water sack the slides around in there (if water would seep out of a composite bat), a hundred loose BBs, or maybe something that actually is clever and wouldn't ruin the bat in 500 swings or get thrown out as being a "rattle". I just think there's something there. People would probably complain about the feel at first, but there might be a market for a balanced bat feel with end loaded results.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
Is composite pourous? I figured it would be sealed up just like a plastic wiffle ball bat. But the point is it could be any sort of weight transfer system. A disk or sleeve the slides inside like a piston, a water sack the slides around in there (if water would seep out of a composite bat), a hundred loose BBs, or maybe something that actually is clever and wouldn't ruin the bat in 500 swings or get thrown out as being a "rattle". I just think there's something there. People would probably complain about the feel at first, but there might be a market for a balanced bat feel with end loaded results.

i see what your sayin. almost like one of those things kids play with that makes a "MOOO" when the plastic thing inside goes back and forth.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans

I dig this idea. I think people would like it... time to patent something :)

2nOUT

Banned User
How about a bat that had a weight on a threaded rod inside of it and you could twist the knob or a nut and move the weight to give it more endload or make it feel more balanced.

toad_2

Semiretired Player
**CliffsNotes**

motorcycle_stuff_032_250x187.jpg
motorcycle_stuff_034_250x187.jpg

Miken Heavy Hitting Design, 34/30. Very Rare composite. $100.
Miken HHD, Supposedly the first composite bat made. This bat is clear and you can see the composite weave inside.

2008_bat_list_035_250x187.jpg
2008_bat_list_039_250x187.jpg

RARE Mizuno World Win , New in wrapper. 34/32. Mizuno's entry into high tech alloy. $100.
Mizuno's MZ74 alloy, All weather and durable. 32 ounce for the heavy hitters.

og_hammer_002_250x149.jpg
og_hammer_005_250x139.jpg

Easton Hammer, New in Wrapper. 34/28
Hammer, One piece aluminum, No high tech here.

old_school_bats_003_250x116.jpg
old_school_bats_004_250x84.jpg

Easton "Team Easton", NIW, 31/26, Model ST9 Bottle Bat
7046 Alloy and a 18 inch " Ultra Long Barrel ". No 'ping' in this baby.

old_school_bats_002_250x84.jpg

old_school_bats_001_250x84.jpg

Louisville Slugger Jackhammer, NIW, 32/27
1980's All Aluminum 'Bottle ' Style bat.

tidal_wave_004_250x150.jpg
tidal_wave_003_250x187.jpg

1979 Tidal Wave 2, New In Wrapper, 37 ounces of high tech . Has water inside for end load effect. $100..
In theory, when you swing the bat, the water inside rushes to the front and creates an 'end load' for more power.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I've actually swung a Tidal Wave. A moron on my team has one and insisted I swing it a couple times, it's not horrible but damn is it heavy.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I preceded all of those. Bats were meant to be hit, so ... no ... I wouldn't keep any NIW. The TW was a nice gimmick, but the devil is in the details ... getting the weight to move at the speed of your swing ... tweaking fluid viscosity and adding baffles is a must.

The HHD Miken is probably the best "historic museum piece" being the first widely available composite bat.

A bunch of us bought the og Miken Velocit-E because it was warranteed in "all temperatures" and we played through the winter. We had no idea about break-in then. That bat was evil-hot when you hit a 525 Thunder Heat at 45 degrees (temp-adjusted compression over 700). When I returned one after using it weekends from November to March, Miken recommended we not swing it under 40-degrees.

toad_2

Semiretired Player
I preceded all of those. Bats were meant to be hit, so ... no ... I wouldn't keep any NIW. The TW was a nice gimmick, but the devil is in the details ... getting the weight to move at the speed of your swing ... tweaking fluid viscosity and adding baffles is a must.

The HHD Miken is probably the best "historic museum piece" being the first widely available composite bat.

A bunch of us bought the og Miken Velocit-E because it was warranteed in "all temperatures" and we played through the winter. We had no idea about break-in then. That bat was evil-hot when you hit a 525 Thunder Heat at 45 degrees (temp-adjusted compression over 700). When I returned one after using it weekends from November to March, Miken recommended we not swing it under 40-degrees.
You, my friend, are an OG softballer. I think you could classify yourself as a "historic museum piece" then?

toad_2

Semiretired Player
i have a demo miken HHD and miken composite cannon. all beat up, not NIW though.

I can't figure out why anyone would have any of these bats NIW. It's not like they were dynamite bats back then. That'd be like saving a Scl1 for 20+ years. What's the sense?

daddyfrank

Addicted to Softballfans
Back in the late 80's I remember a bat the was shaped like a tri-angle. It had three sides that were slightly rounded so it had no sharp edges. The idea was to have more of the bat contact the ball thus more power transferred to the ball. There was another bat that had a slight bend in the handle to allow you to pull the ball easier or if you turn it around you could hit oppo with a nice slice shot. Not sure what company made these.......any ideas?

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Back in the late 80's I remember a bat the was shaped like a tri-angle. It had three sides that were slightly rounded so it had no sharp edges. The idea was to have more of the bat contact the ball thus more power transferred to the ball. There was another bat that had a slight bend in the handle to allow you to pull the ball easier or if you turn it around you could hit oppo with a nice slice shot. Not sure what company made these.......any ideas?

That would be the Zapper, Zapper II, and Zapper III.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't figure out why anyone would have any of these bats NIW. It's not like they were dynamite bats back then. That'd be like saving a Scl1 for 20+ years. What's the sense?

What's the point of opening them now though? Hitting them isn't worth anything either.

jp24

Band
An old school teammate of mine still swings a blue Louisville Slugger 34/34. I still have my old black/gold TPS 34/26 that I used to play fastpitch with. That bat is still solid.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy

Broadsider?

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
Very funny but seriously anyone else have a old school bat from the 70s 80s that cant be found on the internet? I am just curious

just did a search, didnt find anything on an old Worth Tennessee Thumper
that i bought back in the early 80's
was suppose to be THE bat way back then
its in storage somewhere, if i can find it, ill get some pics of it up

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
37 ounces wow lol, thatd be a kick ass cage/bp bat, swinging a 27 after that would feel like swinging a 20oz ladies FP bat.

slamminsalmon

Addicted to Softballfans
Wouldn't water (or anything) sloshing around on the inside create a pretty decent force on the endcap? I would think centrifugal force like that would cause endcaps to pop off.