Rattling Noise in Brand New Miken Highlighter

BobbyBoucher73

I just bought a brand new Miken Superfreak Supermax Highlighter (the green one) and when I took it out of the package I noticed that it has a rattling sound. The bat is still new in the plastic wrapper and I am wondering if I should be worried. Should I contact the seller or just ignore the problem?

ShortYellowBus

I just bought a brand new Miken Superfreak Supermax Highlighter (the green one) and when I took it out of the package I noticed that it has a rattling sound. The bat is still new in the plastic wrapper and I am wondering if I should be worried. Should I contact the seller or just ignore the problem?
It’s a great question that you should ask the bat manufacturer. Normally, a rattle is nothing to worry about, but it’s covered under warranty.

What Miken does is they repair it. You have to pay to send it back. They fix it. They ship it back to you. You won’t get a new bat.

With that said, if you bought it from someone “second hand” and not from an authorized retailer, you need to revisit the transaction with the seller who sold you the bat.

If that was the case, I would not accept it as is, send it back, and get a refund.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd send it back regardless, and especially as syb said if it was purchased second hand. Why pay more (to ship it to manufacturer) to have them (fix) it o_O js it's niw why in the world would i pay more than what i already paid to have it (fixed) SMH.. if u have a no charge return option take it

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
This does happen from time to time with some bats. 99.9 percent of the time it's just a small piece of glue from the endcap being applied to the bat.

That being said. If you play somewhere that this is an issue and you purchased it second hand and not disclosed as having a rattle, then I'd definitely follow up with the seller. If you purchased it new from a retailer then your only move is going to be go through Miken to have the issue resolved.

tbarb

"The BP Hero, post: 19124700, member: 48674"]This does happen from time to time with some bats. 99.9 percent of the time it's just a small piece of glue from the endcap being applied to the bat. "

I've heard a "rattle vibration" sound when a bat is hit or tapped on the ground in a number of bats over time. This sound usually is not real loud but certainly noticeable; though sometimes is loud. Could you elaborate more on what you think the cause is in most bats that have this? I thought the endcap is glued to the bat walls all the way around.

Thanks

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I've heard a "rattle vibration" sound when a bat is hit or tapped on the ground in a number of bats over time. This sound usually is not real loud but certainly noticeable; though sometimes is loud. Could you elaborate more on what you think the cause is in most bats that have this? I thought the endcap is glued to the bat walls all the way around.

Thanks

On a Miken or Worth 2 piece? Like a buzzing sound almost? I've seen some do this when you hold the barrel in your hands and bounce the knob off the ground. I just assumed it was something with the handle and barrel connection.

tbarb

"On a Miken or Worth 2 piece? Like a buzzing sound almost? I've seen some do this when you hold the barrel in your hands and bounce the knob off the ground. I just assumed it was something with the handle and barrel connection." The BP Hero

Yes, I could almost liken it to a buzzing sound . It sounds like something in the bat is vibrating. I should also add if I am holding the bat rather loosely with hand on the barrel when it is tapped the sound is more prominent than if I am holding the bat very tightly. It seems to be louder when the bat is held by the barrel and tapped on the knob vrs the opposite.

These are all Miken 2 piece bats . Though I have heard similar noise from others.

Thanks

Last edited:

ShortYellowBus

It could be the knob taking hits and transferring energy of the taps across the barrel.

On linear bats, there’s nothing in there and the only thing that can move is the knob; simply secured by the threaded pin and perhaps some loctite in the threading. That knob just might be the culprit. The acoustics in the barrel tuned to make that crack sound on ball impacts may probably explain the buzz.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
"The BP Hero, post: 19124700, member: 48674"]I've heard a "rattle vibration" sound when a bat is hit or tapped on the ground in a number of bats over time. This sound usually is not real loud but certainly noticeable; though sometimes is loud.

On a Miken or Worth 2 piece? Like a buzzing sound almost? I've seen some do this when you hold the barrel in your hands and bounce the knob off the ground. I just assumed it was something with the handle and barrel connection.

It's the rod in the handle. I've seen it develop over time and I've heard it from plenty of brand-new Worths/Mikens.

I have a '17 Fulk that sounds like a tuning fork when you drop it.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
It's the rod in the handle. I've seen it develop over time and I've heard it from plenty of brand-new Worths/Mikens.

learn something new every day. Love it!

tbarb

Thanks ...
Yes, a tuning fork would be a perfect example of the sound! (Maybe in B flat / C sharp:cool:)
So I am guessing then that such a 'rod' would be placed there for stability and perhaps runs from the knob through the area where the barrel and handle join and maybe attach to it? And therefore this is or will shortly be a problem with performance /bat flexibility and will soon break down.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Thanks ...
Yes, a tuning fork would be a perfect example of the sound! (Maybe in B flat / C sharp:cool:)
So I am guessing then that such a 'rod' would be placed there for stability and perhaps runs from the knob through the area where the barrel and handle join and maybe attach to it? And therefore this is or will shortly be a problem with performance /bat flexibility and will soon break down.

Search for the "How It's Made" episode where they make composite bats.

Basically the handle rod is just a counterweight to tune the bat's endload and to bring the bat up to sticker weight. It's only a few inches long and it has no impact on performance. If it's buzzing it just means it isn't wedged in as tight as it could be.