Rawlings Customs and Horween

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have two of the Horween PRO-6XTC from the Don Morton special production runs (mine were made in 2003) and there was a issue with small tears at the three finger crotches... one of my gloves has a couple and the other one doesn't. But I have not noticed them getting worse or causing any problems. I haven't heard about other tear issues besides that...

The Horween glove leather is dry, stiff and tough. But, because it is so stiff, when sewn and then sharply folded back against the seam (like at the finger crotch seams), the surface layer (with the tan dye) can pull apart, exposing the undyed grey part of the leather underneath. I do remember seeing a couple of pics where an actual tear developed, but I think it is pretty rare. I know in one instance the glove was new (SLCS glove) and the owner admitted he went all out with a ball mallet on the glove. I have seen a lot like (100s) of vintage Horween gloves on the bay etc. and can't remember the last time I saw one with a tear. Usually I see tears in heavily oil tanned gloves where the tensile strength just isn't there.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
The Horween glove leather is dry, stiff and tough. But, because it is so stiff, when sewn and then sharply folded back against the seam (like at the finger crotch seams), the surface layer (with the tan dye) can pull apart, exposing the undyed grey part of the leather underneath. I do remember seeing a couple of pics where an actual tear developed, but I think it is pretty rare. I know in one instance the glove was new (SLCS glove) and the owner admitted he went all out with a ball mallet on the glove. I have seen a lot like (100s) of vintage Horween gloves on the bay etc. and can't remember the last time I saw one with a tear. Usually I see tears in heavily oil tanned gloves where the tensile strength just isn't there.

You calmed me last year Rous, when I took my ol DM xtc out and it had that tiny finger crotch tear. You were also right, it didnt get any worse during the break in process and it was pretty small at that. Who knows how itd hold up over the course of a few seasons... but that leather was sweet!! Also, the oil black on the early 00's cmhcb2's is good stuff as well as mentioned. I'd prefer the usa dry, but IMO that is still better than any of the OTHER options today.
Its a shame that you guys mentioned these little crotch tears was a big factor in DM going to jap tan. IMO they were kinda the saving grace for the dry tan lovers. It may seem silly, but just as the SLCS was once a great outlet to get the 'good ol'gloves' I look at what DMS was doing in the same light. I hope that the H tan and maybe the wing tip become options on the builder or form because then we wouldnt have to look at these outlets as being a great thing of the past and can embrace the present for gloves like the old days :)
Thats such a great thought... leather as close to the old days, with modern patterns and makes... man.. we should be so lucky!!!

Emperor

Star Player
sorry to necro this thread, but has anyone heard anything more on the Rawlings expanded custom options? I've bee out of the loop for awhile and I know more of you are dialed in to the goings-on and what not

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
sorry to necro this thread, but has anyone heard anything more on the Rawlings expanded custom options? I've bee out of the loop for awhile and I know more of you are dialed in to the goings-on and what not
Some dude on IG leaked a form out but you can get one from Chad. However, Chad was told by Rawlings that they aren't accepting the new forms yet. An actual Rawlings rep on IG posted a comment that said August/Septemebr was the expected release date but Rawlings CS told me October. So my guess is that they won't want to miss the Christmas presents deadline.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
BTW, anyone that is a fan of the 1000 or DJ2 better order on the old form. It looks like they won't be available on the new form.

DatDuke

I like the original PRO1000H USA. Not so much with the new PRO1000. As for DJ2, I got the white Final Season limited edition. So I think I am covered. Have yet use my DJ2 just because its white. So I am not sure if I will like the pattern. But thanks for the heads up! May be it will drive the PRO1000 and DJ2 value up a little once they discontinue the pattern.

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
BTW, anyone that is a fan of the 1000 or DJ2 better order on the old form. It looks like they won't be available on the new form.
I have the dj2. I love it. I stopped using it as much because it seems to have been discontinued. The pocket is nice and shallow perfect for baseball, still not fully broken in its the horween model. It breaks in thumb to middle, can even to thumb to index.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I thought i'd heard that the horween will be arnd xmas time. The new form is kinda confusing because all of the model #'s seem to have changed at bit and now include the suffix of the web model # in it as well?? like for example, a 12 inch pro200-1 used to be a pro200 single post. now, itll be a pro 206 or something with the web number as the suffix? It'll just take a bit to get used to. I've HEARD people are already placing orders with the new form ( after the initial rejections due to an error in the form itself) but have not seen anything comeback yet so they could indeed be wrong. At somepoint, I'd like an all tan cmhc for next year but at this point i'll just wait it out until dec/jan for the tan horween option as opposed to the more yellowish jap tan.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Also ( i dont know, just throwing this out there...) as the pro 207 is now the standard 12.25 glove on the form could this just be the 1000 renamed? It seems crazy they'd nix such a popular pattern

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
From a thread at GWF, here are the old (as of 2016) web designations. I don't think I have ever seen a 7 or 10, so I can't imagine what a 207 would be.

1- Single Post Web (Very narrow; About two laces shorter across the top of the web compared to others)
2- I-Web
3- Basket Web
4- Modified Trapeze
5- Single Post Double Bar (Sizemore/ Abreu web)
6- H-Web
7- (Can't remember)
8- Solid One Piece
9- Solid Two Piece
10- (Can't remember)
11- Basket Connector
12- Rawlings version of the Dual Hinge

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
That is a one-off that they don't use on any other glove... so it hasn't had a number yet.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Whats the number for the RV23's Hinge Single Post?
sadly, nor is available outside of pro dept.... and ive wondered if they know its the standard web for the pattern or how its described. I'd call it a hinged single post.. but they might call it something different. Not an order I'd want messed up lol

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
From a thread at GWF, here are the old (as of 2016) web designations. I don't think I have ever seen a 7 or 10, so I can't imagine what a 207 would be.

1- Single Post Web (Very narrow; About two laces shorter across the top of the web compared to others)
2- I-Web
3- Basket Web
4- Modified Trapeze
5- Single Post Double Bar (Sizemore/ Abreu web)
6- H-Web
7- (Can't remember)
8- Solid One Piece
9- Solid Two Piece
10- (Can't remember)
11- Basket Connector
12- Rawlings version of the Dual Hinge
so now most custom gloves are just 200 patterns? like if the 207 is a 12.25, is that a pro1000 with a different name, or is it a 12.25 inch pro 200 with a 7 (H) web?

beeblebobble

Starting Player
so now most custom gloves are just 200 patterns? like if the 207 is a 12.25, is that a pro1000 with a different name, or is it a 12.25 inch pro 200 with a 7 (H) web?

I think the 7 denotes the size in 207 not the web. 204 = 11.5" 205 = 11.75" 206 = 12" 207 = 12.25" as you can have a 204-1 a 200 pattern 11.5" single post or a 206-6 a 200 pattern 12" with a pro H web. I figured this was following the already established nomenclature of the NP line only a bit more refined as a lot of slop in the NP line naming convention.

Hrking4675

The Veteran
^^ Is correct. 2 means 11.24, 4 means 11.5, 5 means 11.75, 6 is 12, 7 is 12.25, 8 is 12.5, 9 is 12.75, and 0 is 13"
For whatever reason, if it is over 12" it keeps the whole name. PRO204 vs PRO3039/PRO3030.

I have an 3 original "7" webs which were an H-Web with no base. The new 7 web is the V/I Web.

When I made that guide for GW with Wake the #1 SP was narrow. Rawlings has since made the standard SP #1 web wider.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
^^ Is correct. 2 means 11.24, 4 means 11.5, 5 means 11.75, 6 is 12, 7 is 12.25, 8 is 12.5, 9 is 12.75, and 0 is 13"
For whatever reason, if it is over 12" it keeps the whole name. PRO204 vs PRO3039/PRO3030.

I have an 3 original "7" webs which were an H-Web with no base. The new 7 web is the V/I Web.

When I made that guide for GW with Wake the #1 SP was narrow. Rawlings has since made the standard SP #1 web wider.
Good info, thanks Jason!!!

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I have the dj2. I love it. I stopped using it as much because it seems to have been discontinued. The pocket is nice and shallow perfect for baseball, still not fully broken in its the horween model. It breaks in thumb to middle, can even to thumb to index.
i feel like there are SSOO many dj2's you'll be able to use yours and still find 1 or 10 to keep minty if youd like to keep one for value/collections purposes if and when they dry up. That being said there are so many this may be a common glove for years to come.