Rawlings Event

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I am loving this conversation. I don’t consider myself anything more than just a regular guy doing what he enjoys. There are many more experts here and on IG, and I was truly honored to be a part of the Summit.
I was pressured to choose Horween tan for my custom by many people because it is like the unobtanium choice. So, when people ask me why didn’t I choose something completely unavailable off the glove order form, I first assume they mean HT.
Let’s say Rawlings has a Glove Summit 2018. How would you think it’s best to include a more diverse mix of enthusiasts? If the 2017 meeting was directed towards moving brand image and marketing forward, what part do you think would be best addressed next time?
You have plenty to contribute. You did right passing on the Horween. They haven't done it completely right, yet. The Easton SBF Horween Small Batch is doing it better at the moment. Timberglaze was a better option IMO. It would be hard to pass up on HSW (especially since the likelihood of shelfing such a rare chance is high).

I don't know who is running the actual Rawlings IG account, but it didn't seem like there was much coordination. They have more followers than the attendees combined so they naturally have the largest platform. So they could have broke the news of the summit and that they were going to be selecting the attendees from their own followers (obviously everyone chosen this first time was already following). Then have the invitees start posting their tickets. My teammates following Rawlings didn't even know about it even now. Instead Rawlings randomly posted videos with zero context. I would be surprised if the average kid/guy just glossed over those video posts. Only glove enthusiasts were able to piece the fragmented information (I'm glad both you and the glove room guy provided some narrative). Instead what happened (and anyone here that didn't attend should correct me if this a wrong assessment) is Rawlings created a gap instead of bridging things. Whether they intended it or not, they didn't make their glove operations closer to the masses but rather elevated a select few (if you're not part of the summit, you don't matter). Now the initial message Rawlings clearly made (which they can remedy in the future) is if we ever want even the slightest chance to be part of a Rawlings summit or sniff the factory, we need to have at least 10,000 followers on IG. So while it's easy for the attendees to say how accomodating Rawlings is, they are far from accomodating to everyone else unless it is at the expense of their competitor (botched Wilson Wednesday winners come to mind here). Thankfully we have Chad making things actually happen for us here (despite us probably being more of a headache for him lol).

If Rawlings wants to reach the younger demographics, they can start by looking in the mirror and compare how Wilson promotes polished Glove Day videos versus their summit coverage (and Rawlings University videos). Night and day. Wilson has a guy that speaks broken english (nothing wrong with that but I'm just pointing out that even with a language barrier hurdle) and like 5 MLB players promoting their brand is attracting a larger group of kids over a company that has over 70% (or whatever percent) of MLB players (which include even bigger and more popular names than Wilson's group) and equipped with possibly a stronger set of resources. Whoever is in charge of marketing at Wilson is like an elite sniper compared to the buckshot Rawlings has on payroll (no offense intended to whoever they are but they aren't showing the efficiency with the firepower and muscle Rawlings has at their disposal).

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
And I'm with you on what a normal parent looks at when shopping for a glove. Glove people can easily get ridiculous when it comes to glove recommendations. Lol. I often find myself helping parents with their kids pick gloves at the local shop.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Mike, who runs all 6 of Rawlings’ social accounts, is a great guy who has recently taken over the reigns (pun intended). He was right there with us the whole time and was actually Jen and myself’s chauffeur the whole weekend.

We did discuss the Wilson Glove Day videos, and I do believe they are going to try to use that as a way to grow their brand image.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Tour of the R&D department, which now houses the "SLCS"
10sg7yu.jpg

Robert Newman (AKA Bob, Jr.) explaing hides, tanning, and Rawlings commitment to quality
ienl0y.jpg

Stamping layout of the typical hide of HOH leather
wix0s1.jpg

Pro Preferred camel hide
2ch6o0w.jpg

Aforementioned stamping zones on a typical hide. Read the labels carefully.
30c67b9.jpg

2usdgfq.jpg

Rawlings team for the weekend, minus Lindsey
mren9t.jpg

SAINT LOUIS CUSTOM SHOP
m7jnd.jpg

EVERY dye Rawlings has ever made and retired are in huge cabinets like these. This is the drawer for the PRO-CB Craig Biggio one-piece IF model.
v6ndhz.jpg

In the shop
1zz51rq.jpg

"Assembled" a glove in stages, like on a cooking show, while we watched.
10ngrdi.jpg

34s30hz.jpg

Lacing bench
5lp3f4.jpg

These four filing cabinets held EVERY pattern and catalogue from Rawlings dating back to the 1930s.
6fz4o0.jpg

Typical office display
ef1vs.jpg

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
@davisrelacing Dan, when the group was in the SLCS and shown all the tooling and dyes in use, what was Rawlings answer when asked are they in the process of bringing it back?
They are keeping those patterns for posterity, to keep the heritage and past treasures of Rawlings alive. It never struck me as them wanting to bring them back, and IIRC, they keep them as stepping stones for the future.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Thank you for posting all this info and photos, it's been fun to look and read. Very cool experience.
You're welcome. I hope the write-up was informative for some, and the pictures for others. Here, three months on, it still feels surreal when I think about how I was involved, just a normal guy from rural Georgia.

southpaw15

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm glad you were able to get a tour of the Tech Center. I'm lucky enough to visit there quite often and take BP and test bats. Newman is a fun guy to talk to and see some of their designs. There are way too many RHT gloves in that facility and around the custom glove area though!!!