Rawlings Sandlot Dye Job

JT20

Addicted to Softballfans
I picked this up recently to practice two-tone dyeing. I started by removing all of the laces and cleaning it with Lexol. While I had it opened up I replaced the plastic in the finger (scoop?) stay with 1/8" plastic. It was thin and needed help. The thumb stay already had what appears to be 1/8" plastic so I left it alone. I only had 1/4" lace in tan so I dyed it black. I then started dyeing the glove using Fiebing's leather dye. I applied the black and oxblood dye with the supplied applicator and a fine tipped paint brush. I applied two coats of Eco-Flo Satin Shene to seal the dye before relacing. It is not perfect, but for my first two-tone dye job I am pleased with the way it turned out. Feedback and other tips and tricks are welcomed.

2014-03-16150145_zps3b3042d5.jpg

2014-03-16150342_zpsc4c01107.jpg

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks great! Two tone especially tough to do.

What do you mean by 1/4" plastic? 1/4" thick? Wow.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Looks good, nice job. If you notice the color coming off as you play, just put on another coat of sealant.

How did you prep it for dye? Your finish looks very even.

JT20

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks good, nice job. If you notice the color coming off as you play, just put on another coat of sealant.

How did you prep it for dye? Your finish looks very even.

I cleaned it thoroughly with Lexol. A few days passed before I dyed it. It used a damp cloth to very slightly dampen the leather before I applied the dye. I used two coats of the Satin Shene to seal it. Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on color loss.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
You'll probably be ok with the color, I was just sayin'.

If the dye doesn't absorb all the way (and a lot of that depends on how you prepped it) it just sits there on the surface, trapped between the glove and the sealant until it works its way out. It will quickly be apparent if this is the case, because you'll have stained fingers and softballs.

JT20

Addicted to Softballfans
It was a fun project indeed. I think I'm going to work on an old catchers mitt I have next. It's dry and needs a lot of attention.