Recommendations for new ASA bat

Jreakin

He guys. Playing on a buddies team that I coach with this year and it’s an ASA league. Looking to pick up a bat, but not really sure on what’s good with ASA stamp (I think this recently switched to USA stamp)

for reference I’m 6’7, 270 lbs. I like to hit power, but with the home runs being severely limited in this league need something with decent control

thanks

Protectyaneck

Don’t overthink it. You’re a big dude, swing a big bat. A 27-28 oz balanced Miken or Worth should do the trick. Or pick up a used anarchy for the same price if you want a bit more durability.

Jreakin

A buddy of mine from college (we don’t live in the same place so I can’t just go try it out) has a 28oz axe avenge blackout he’d let go for cheap

I trust him when he says it’s a good bat, but anyone here have more experience with them? He doesn’t play much himself

ShortYellowBus

If you don’t want to destroy your swing and recalibrate your brain - all for the justification of trying a cheap gimmick handle- don’t buy the Axe Avenge “pro” or whatever hype sales keywords they use.

tonys1

A buddy of mine from college (we don’t live in the same place so I can’t just go try it out) has a 28oz axe avenge blackout he’d let go for cheap

I trust him when he says it’s a good bat, but anyone here have more experience with them? He doesn’t play much himself

bro if axe works for you, you’re set for life cause you won’t be able to enjoy other bats.

they pretty much suck though

Go to eBay, look at Easton Salvo SRV5, there are two or three 28oz listed, they are ASA approved and extremely good bats, around $80, send a note to the seller and ask for the small four digit code on the neck of the barrel, 0312 is a March 2012, any of these 2010, 2011, 2012 technology are the same and are as good if not better than anything on the market today. I have two that are both 28 oz and one is 2011, other 2012. And if you don’t like the bat, you can sell to someone in your ASA league for $100, I just sold the 27oz I had when I picked up a second 28oz. Slap a lizard skin 1.1 mm grip, add a knob kuff and you’ve got a bat better than the new modes, guaranteed.

ShortYellowBus

@Tied to the whipping post

Have you swung an Anarchy or Monsta before? This question is a joke; it’s silly and intended for humor.

I said DC41’s up there, and I’ve should’ve gone Combat. It’s a tough crowd here.

Unfortunately, I must push back on the idea that a certain bat fits all swings. You don’t know what’s good for you until you try enough bats.

I definitely am pushing back in the idea that the SRV5 or any salvos being as good as or even remotely close in performance compared to the newer non-linear bats.

I see the SRV5 as a good BP bat but it’s far behind on performance with new bats - that have PSI readings out of wrapper at half of what the used eBay bats that you’re suggesting - and frankly it’s only good hitting 44/375’s. All bats are good at hitting those harder balls.

But this post isn’t to attack you, @Tied to the whipping post.

The best advice is to find out what balls the OP is hitting. From there, finding out what what was normally used in the past and matching the specs to make the transition to ASA/USA bats.

But that’s a lot of work. I’d rather just say Combat.

Swing a Combat.

Jreakin

Go to eBay, look at Easton Salvo SRV5, there are two or three 28oz listed, they are ASA approved and extremely good bats, around $80, send a note to the seller and ask for the small four digit code on the neck of the barrel, 0312 is a March 2012, any of these 2010, 2011, 2012 technology are the same and are as good if not better than anything on the market today. I have two that are both 28 oz and one is 2011, other 2012. And if you don’t like the bat, you can sell to someone in your ASA league for $100, I just sold the 27oz I had when I picked up a second 28oz. Slap a lizard skin 1.1 mm grip, add a knob kuff and you’ve got a bat better than the new modes, guaranteed.
Thanks I’ll check this out $80 sounds really reasonable

Jreakin

Have you swung an Anarchy or Monsta before? This question is a joke; it’s silly and intended for humor.

I said DC41’s up there, and I’ve should’ve gone Combat. It’s a tough crowd here.

Unfortunately, I must push back on the idea that a certain bat fits all swings. You don’t know what’s good for you until you try enough bats.

I definitely am pushing back in the idea that the SRV5 or any salvos being as good as or even remotely close in performance compared to the newer non-linear bats.

I see the SRV5 as a good BP bat but it’s far behind on performance with new bats - that have PSI readings out of wrapper at half of what the used eBay bats that you’re suggesting - and frankly it’s only good hitting 44/375’s. All bats are good at hitting those harder balls.

The best advice is to find out what balls the OP is hitting. From there, finding out what what was normally used in the past and matching the specs to make the transition to ASA/USA bats.

Swing a Combat.
For the record it’s 52/300, that’s my fault for not mentioning that in the original post

ShortYellowBus

For the record it’s 52/300, that’s my fault for not mentioning that in the original post
You definitely want a non-linear bat. What did you swing previously? It helps to know, so a little bit more information will help a lot.

Here’s a couple suggestions.

Worth Boss 428 max load is a great bat if you can’t find the Krecher that someone mentioned up there.

From Monsta, the only bat I’d recommend is the DNA Mutated or original DNA. The pricey 25oz torches fall apart for us big guys, and they fall apart after 100 swings. The outer shell is wafer thin.

Out of the Anarchy brand, the Still Humble is moderately balanced and it’s perfect for durability and performance. It doesn’t quite have the home run power that the other Anarchy bats have, but if you’re always limiting the amount of home runs, you don’t want a bat that gives you an extra 15 feet.

Jreakin

You definitely want a non-linear bat. What did you swing previously? It helps to know, so a little bit more information will help a lot.

Here’s a couple suggestions.

Worth Boss 428 max load is a great bat if you can’t find the Krecher that someone mentioned up there.

From Monsta, the only bat I’d recommend is the DNA Mutated or original DNA. The pricey 25oz torches fall apart for us big guys, and they fall apart after 100 swings. The outer shell is wafer thin.

Out of the Anarchy brand, the Still Humble is moderately balanced and it’s perfect for durability and performance. It doesn’t quite have the home run power that the other Anarchy bats have, but if you’re always limiting the amount of home runs, you don’t want a bat that gives you an extra 15 feet.
The last time I played, back in like 17, we had a team bat Louisville slugger z4 that I used.

dunkky

i know a lot guys at 270 lbs having hard time putting the ball over. I also know 180-90 well built guys have no issue going over.

As much as i like salvo 2011, i agree with captain, it doesn't hit 52s as well as other top asa bats. Maybe after a few thousand hits. mine probably needs another 1000. i am currently using it in asa. i just love the way it swing in my hand.

dunkky

Lol, sounded that way but not intended. Im saying size is good thing but he still has to swing good to utilize his power.

Swing a Combat.

i agree with ShortYellowBus that the ball used in your league makes some difference, not as much as many people might think. I only play in two Sr ASA bat only leagues, both use 44/375 balls and i stand by my position that the SRV5 that i use is as good as any bats that the other players on the total of 12 competitive league teams have lying around when we are practicing, with my swing. I know, as i pick up other players bats and hit them every time there are combined league practices and/or practice games and i see someone that is hitting it pretty strong, crisp, line drives.

just trying to help out the original poster, he's 6'7" and 270#, i'm 5'9", 185#, if i can hit it (both 44/375 and 52/300 balls) out of our fields that are 300' so can he. Also, he is only spending $80 to get started in his league, makes sense to me but what do i know, i'm only 70 yrs old, play softball every Tues and Thurs and fish at least two/three other days weekly!!!