Recommendations for new glove? Please help!

Flash1

I am looking to purchase a new glove for my brother. We play in a slow-pitch softball league in FL. He mostly plays SS, 3B at times. He is not interested in anything larger than 12.25". He feels as if 12.5" would be too large. Price is not a factor. He wants a Wilson, Rawlings, or Vinci. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flash1

MaverickAH

Vinci is having a sale right now. I just picked up a RCV1225 for $129 but I won't receive it until tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

cleanupset

If money is no problem then check out the Nike MVP Select series. I'm not a big fan of Nike products but the MVP's have a rigid construction from the pinky through the thumb with a soft interior. The glove wraps around the ball easily and you don't have to worry about the glove fingers bowing in or out.

Party mafia

Vinci is having a sale right now. I just picked up a RCV1225 for $129 but I won't receive it until tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.
How does the vinci RCV1225 compares to their JD73-L glove? I fell vinci gloves are smaller than their listed measurement.

MaverickAH

How does the vinci RCV1225 compares to their JD73-L glove? I fell vinci gloves are smaller than their listed measurement.

Just took receipt of the glove today.

First, first impressions are:
  • It's stiff as a board but it's already loosened up a bit as I play around with it.
  • It's true to size. In fact it came in about 1/8" bigger on the tape.
  • The colors are true. They match my team colors which is why I bought it. (I need another glove like I need a hole in the head!)
  • Top laces are extra long giving you plenty of room for adjustment.
  • I can already tell that there are not going to be any issues with the thumb or pinkie stays.
  • Not a big fan of the sheepskin lining in the finger stalls but it does feel nice!
Now it's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of Vinci's Limited gloves. It's not that I dislike them. It's just that among Vinci's, they're my least favorite. That being said, I couldn't pass this up based on price & team colors. I can already tell that it's going to be a good IF glove & I will definitely game it. It's bigger than what I'm already gaming at SS (an 11.85" og Vinci JC65) so it s/b gtg.

I will report it's progress as I break it in.

Party mafia

Just took receipt of the glove today.

First, first impressions are:
  • It's stiff as a board but it's already loosened up a bit as I play around with it.
  • It's true to size. In fact it came in about 1/8" bigger on the tape.
  • The colors are true. They match my team colors which is why I bought it. (I need another glove like I need a hole in the head!)
  • Top laces are extra long giving you plenty of room for adjustment.
  • I can already tell that there are not going to be any issues with the thumb or pinkie stays.
  • Not a big fan of the sheepskin lining in the finger stalls but it does feel nice!
Now it's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of Vinci's Limited gloves. It's not that I dislike them. It's just that among Vinci's, they're my least favorite. That being said, I couldn't pass this up based on price & team colors. I can already tell that it's going to be a good IF glove & I will definitely game it. It's bigger than what I'm already gaming at SS (an 11.85" og Vinci JC65) so it s/b gtg.

I will report it's progress as I break it in.
Hi Mav, could you post a picture with a tape measure of your Vinci RV glove. I want to compares with my jd73-l. Since Vinci website does not show the palm pocket of the TV glove. Thanks.

MaverickAH

Will do. Just give me until this evening or tomorrow..........

A few other things to point out..........
  • This 5oz kip leather is dry! It's soaking up the conditioner like nobody's business! It's going to take multiple sessions of conditioning to soften up IMHO.
  • Pattern-wise, the glove reminds me very much of an og Wilson A2000 ELO (12.5") that I used to have. That glove was one of my all-time favorites which is why that I think I'm going to like this glove.
  • My experience with Vinci Limited 5oz kip leather is that I've got to beat it like it stole something before I can make a true determination. I'm going to use my past experiences to try & speed up the process on this one.
  • Glove weighs 21.2oz on the scale. Top of the web measures a little under 5".
  • FTR, I will be breaking in this thumb to pinkie & traditional grip. I'm probably going to have to loosen up the wrist strap as kip doesn't stretch like steer hide & it's a bit tight on the back on my hand when closing. I won't make that decision until the glove is about 85% ready.
I also did a quick comparison of this glove with a 1st gen Limited that I have on hand. That glove has the thumb issue of old. This one definitely does not. The padding & stays are improved on this generation. This is the better glove.

Party mafia

Will do. Just give me until this evening or tomorrow..........

A few other things to point out..........
  • This 5oz kip leather is dry! It's soaking up the conditioner like nobody's business! It's going to take multiple sessions of conditioning to soften up IMHO.
  • Pattern-wise, the glove reminds me very much of an og Wilson A2000 ELO (12.5") that I used to have. That glove was one of my all-time favorites which is why that I think I'm going to like this glove.
  • My experience with Vinci Limited 5oz kip leather is that I've got to beat it like it stole something before I can make a true determination. I'm going to use my past experiences to try & speed up the process on this one.
  • Glove weighs 21.2oz on the scale. Top of the web measures a little under 5".
  • FTR, I will be breaking in this thumb to pinkie & traditional grip. I'm probably going to have to loosen up the wrist strap as kip doesn't stretch like steer hide & it's a bit tight on the back on my hand when closing. I won't make that decision until the glove is about 85% ready.
I also did a quick comparison of this glove with a 1st gen Limited that I have on hand. That glove has the thumb issue of old. This one definitely does not. The padding & stays are improved on this generation. This is the better glove.
Thanks for the review.

Parks9

Check out 44progloves.com. I have had mine for 2 years and it is still in great shape. Good leather, laces are nice and thick, and 100% custom made. They make great stuff.

MaverickAH

Sorry for the delay............

mDSx0rM.jpg

51KtNAy.jpg

5zOG5jr.jpg

63lKfH3.jpg

One more note...........

The glove also came with a complete break-in kit minus the mallet. I wasn't expecting that! It also did not come with a bag. No biggie.........

Party mafia

Sorry for the delay............

mDSx0rM.jpg

51KtNAy.jpg

5zOG5jr.jpg

63lKfH3.jpg

One more note...........

The glove also came with a complete break-in kit minus the mallet. I wasn't expecting that! It also did not come with a bag. No biggie.........
Thanks for the pictures. The Vinci went back to reg price at $229. And it is oos now too.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
If price is not an issue he has a ton of options. Wilson A2000 TF21 would be a great fit and the DW5. As for Rawlings the ProJD7 models and Pro1000H (Likely a custom) models are great gloves for infield softball.

I wouldn't recommend a Vinci, in my opinion they aren't on par with an A2000 or HOH.

Party mafia

If price is not an issue he has a ton of options. Wilson A2000 TF21 would be a great fit and the DW5. As for Rawlings the ProJD7 models and Pro1000H (Likely a custom) models are great gloves for infield softball.

I wouldn't recommend a Vinci, in my opinion they aren't on par with an A2000 or HOH.
What does JD7, which MLB player is that? I know TF is Todd Frazier of the Reds. The A2000 TF21 is a nice glove, but it's way out of my budget.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
I can say that I use a 1799 for the infield and love it. It's 12.75 but feels like a 12.25. It perfect as it has some support pieces in the pinky and thumb that keep the glove from folding.

Party mafia

I can say that I use a 1799 for the infield and love it. It's 12.75 but feels like a 12.25. It perfect as it has some support pieces in the pinky and thumb that keep the glove from folding.
I used the A2000 1799 for OF, and i switch between that and the rawlings Pro-302 for the OF.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Vinci made a small run of Hybrid JD73 models with Limited Kip back and Optimus palms. They are listed as 12.75", will have to put a tape on them. IMO they far exceed any Wilson or Rawlings glove. I am gonna put a link to my facebook page with pics, hope that is OK with the mods
https://goo.gl/photos/gDM2kXtTufJsdWdZ6