Reconditioning my glove

freeze2104

Average E ringer
I've searched and have been reading up on what to use but I'm still not 100% sold on if it's the right thing for me to do. So I figured I'd ask you guys that work with leather regularly. A little background on how I break in my glove to give you a better idea of what I have. I play catch with it and that's it. I want it to completely break in to my hand by playing catch and I don't put anything on it at all. So no oils or conditioners have ever seen this leather.

I have a Novak custom "kip" leather glove that I got 3-4 years ago? White leather with some read and black parts. The leather is incredibly dry now and the glove is becoming too soft for my liking. One of the laces actually ripped out of the leather. When making running catches, I notice the ball will spin in the pocket and start to almost slide out.

What I am wondering is, if I can put some type of conditioner on it to make it a little more "tacky" so the ball doesn't spin and slide out as much. I don't want to make the glove any more soft as I HATE floppy gloves. What type of conditioner should I use and where should I put it? Just in the pocket or along the parts that are going to grab the ball most?

On the other side of it, I've been eyeing up those new a2000 135. If I can make my glove last another couple years inexpensively, I'd like to go that route. I don't mind putting the money up for a new glove but I don't want to give up on this one just yet :)

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
If it is so dry a lace pulled through, you need Lexol conditioner, at least in the palm and around holes. The Wilson Pro Stock will help the glove retain that moisture.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Hot Glove (HG is the Brand name) Cream Conditioner

Hands down the best stuff I've ever used. The little can last a long long time.

Yellowish waxy cream, pure lanolin & Vitamin E.

Apply little amounts, rub it in and keep the leather hydrated, looking clean, and doesn't weigh a glove down or change colour etc.

Anything else can get a little messy to use, and doesn't do as good of a job.

Getting harder to find it in Canada, but will gladly pay to order it up. This product won me over for life.

Clean application, doesn't make a mess in the lacing or anything, and keep the leather healthy.

Close 2nd is Mizuno strong oil.

Emperor

Star Player
hot glove and wilson pro conditioner basically the same stuff. hot glove is just 1/3 the cost.