Review - Louisville Slugger Solo Z USSSA

4xtra

Player/Coach
upload_2019-2-1_4-7-24.pngupload_2019-2-1_4-8-15.pngupload_2019-2-1_4-8-36.pngupload_2019-2-1_4-7-55.png
Louisville Slugger Solo Z USSSA
Balls used
Classic M
52/300
44/375

Compression test NIW

For the record,

I love underrated bats and that is why I did this review

Overall feel

Not much of an end load.
Felt like your run of the mill one piece bat. Nothing fancy

N.O.W. performance

As expected, Not bad but very very stiff for the 1st 300 swings.
It was obvious that this bat will take a minute to get broken in.
Super stiff handle and no flex.

The performance curve was flat for the 1st 300-400 swings

500 swing mark

The bat completely changed gears and even wondered if I was swinging the same bat.

After 500 swings, the performance actually was very impressive.
Being that USSSA uses the Classic M, we wanted to see what the Solo Z can do with this and
I was stunned on how far the ball went..

No flex on contact and The Solo has that "traditional" 1 PC feel with that stiff feel on contact.

This bat was not popular because of that break in period and bland aesthetics.
Also there is a perception that a bat that cost under $100 must be an under performer.

(That is ABSOLUTELY not true and do not allow anyone tell you different.
There is a world outside Worth, Miken and Monsta)

We ended up collecting NUMEROUS Classic M's and 44/375's that went over the fence.
I'm serious, I was genuinely surprised on how the bat turned the corner after 500+ swings.

Sound

there was no big sound change as the swing count was ramping up....

Durability

I have about 600 swings now on one of my Solo Z's that I have
and there are absolutely no signs of stress at all.
I am confident that this bat can get at least 5000+ swings hitting everything under the sun.

Overall perspective
WOW
I am amazed that this bat did not sell because if you have the patience to break the bat in
(I sometimes use a rubber mallet) the bat performs very well and the Solo Z is extremely durable.
The Solo hit 44's, Classic M's and even 52's very well.
If you are on tight budget and/or need a very durable team bat, I would recommend this with confidence.
this bat is officially a Sleeper bat.
I also believe that this bat is a REPAINT of the SONIC+ USSSA
The sonic+ did have a heavier end load

Last edited:

uniballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Totally agree with your assessment. But Don't think it was a Sonic+ repaint as the endload on the sonic is much more pronounced. Or maybe the exact same bat with less endload added. They both are definitely way under the radar as you said!! I have a 27.5 sonic+ with 2000+ swings on it that I paid 90 bucks for NIW and it hits as hard and far as any utrip bat I've ever used. And I've hit lots of bats over the last 25 year's Lol.
The stiff 1 pc feel and long break in is the killer for most people. But for those who don't mind 1pc or bp like me, they should pick up either of them and enjoy that "wow" moment when it open up.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Totally agree with your assessment. But Don't think it was a Sonic+ repaint as the endload on the sonic is much more pronounced. Or maybe the exact same bat with less endload added. They both are definitely way under the radar as you said!! I have a 27.5 sonic+ with 2000+ swings on it that I paid 90 bucks for NIW and it hits as hard and far as any utrip bat I've ever used. And I've hit lots of bats over the last 25 year's Lol.
The stiff 1 pc feel and long break in is the killer for most people. But for those who don't mind 1pc or bp like me, they should pick up either of them and enjoy that "wow" moment when it open up.

You are correct,
the Sonic+ did have a solid end load on it but I do believe it is the same bat,
with the Sonic+ having that extra end load....

Im glad Im not the only one who realizes this...
and that is in part on why I always give the underrated bats a shot because I do not mind waiting for the bat to break in with a little work.

Im willing to compromise a little distance for solid durability
because I see guys all the time in BP swing these new 2019 sticks and they will stare at
the barrel of the bat after every single swing to see if it is cracked..

That is not softball,
that is insanity .....

Some of the best bats I have ever owned or swung were underrated.

Another solid review 4xtra. I am witness to that, I saw 4xtra crush some balls with this bat one of those traveled over 350 feet easy. Personally, I am getting one just can't go wrong.

Redsfan

4xtra, I agree with your underrated bat statement. I have a Mizuno No Doubt one piece that I can crush the ball with. Never saw a really great review about it but it works fine for me. It was also a free bat so that makes it even better.

4xtra, I agree with your underrated bat statement. I have a Mizuno No Doubt one piece that I can crush the ball with. Never saw a really great review about it but it works fine for me. It was also a free bat so that makes it even better.
I swung the 2018 No Doubt black/orange a few times last year when I was dead tired(bat feels like a feather) and was impressed with the pop. You don't have to swing hard for the ball to travel far.
I haven't swung the white/blue one.

Last edited:

4xtra

Player/Coach

I ask umpires all the time what are some of the hottest bats they have seen and
I remember one particular umpire told me that the bats that seem to perform well were the
Blue and White
Mizuno NO DOUBT
and the
15Baker ASA (Blue and Black)
I have heard that the No Doubt was a solid bat but the bat was lighter than sticker weight and very balanced

bird25

34/30 Club #25
You are correct,
the Sonic+ did have a solid end load on it but I do believe it is the same bat,
with the Sonic+ having that extra end load....

Im glad Im not the only one who realizes this...
and that is in part on why I always give the underrated bats a shot because I do not mind waiting for the bat to break in with a little work.

Im willing to compromise a little distance for solid durability
because I see guys all the time in BP swing these new 2019 sticks and they will stare at
the barrel of the bat after every single swing to see if it is cracked..

That is not softball,
that is insanity .....

Some of the best bats I have ever owned or swung were underrated.

One of my buddies hits some monster shots with his sonic+

I heard that most of the LS guys at the time were swinging the Sonic because they took a beating and performed great.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Nice review and info. I like underrated gear also, so I was interested in the LVS. Is there a one piece ASA equivalent to this, Solo Z?

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Nice review and info. I like underrated gear also, so I was interested in the LVS. Is there a one piece ASA equivalent to this, Solo Z?

There is a dual stamp Solo Z but I never put enough swings on it for it to get good

dunkky

so, who is swinging in that video? i watch that dude's videos a lot on youtube also.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Neither.....
I believe they are in Canada
We are in Atlanta...
I do not know him personally but I am a subscriber to his channel