Review Time!! 2015 Edition

TRaj2327

Finally getting around to doing a review of the 2015 line. Begs got his demo bats a couple weeks ago and we hosted a demo day on Saturday at a local place that has radar guns. How he was able to keep these 5 in the wrapper for almost 2 weeks, I don't know. The weathermen around here are useless so we had to put off last weekend with threatening snow, of course it never came. Unfortunately, no video this year as we were far too busy with the demo and talking about the bats and getting people info. Maybe in the coming weeks on that...

- Begs got 5 of the 7 main line bats, everything except the 13" ASA Aftermath and the True One.
- All ASA bats were hit strictly with Tattoo 52's
- USSSA bats were pushed a little against 44/375 gold dots. Probably a little harder than the current Classic M since the gold dot is not a very good 44.
- All bats were straight out of the wrapper that day
- All bats were 27 oz. except the 26 oz Mercy

Juggernaut - the bat felt great right out of the wrapper and has that same springy sound that it has had since the J3A. Endload was maybe slightly more noticeable, but perhaps in my head since I normally swing 26's in most bats. Granted he's a big dude, but Begs hit a couple that touched 97 on the gun. It was darn impressive for a .52 ball, and something that you would normally only see on a well broken-in bat. They nailed it again with this one.

Mercy - awesome stick and still swings a bit heavier than the 26 oz sticker in my opinion. Again, smoking the ball the moment the wrapper came off of it and swung felt like purple which most people agree swung a bit more endloaded than the original green one did. It's basically exactly what you would expect out of the Mercy if you have swung one before.

USA Aftermath - right on par with the Border Battle it is derived from, we were every bit as impressed with this one as we were with the BB. We had a girl there at the demo that was SMOKING 52's and was nearly cracking 80 mph ball speed which is REALLY impressive for a chick and a real testament to the performance of this bat. I thought it was maybe a little better than the BB was out of the wrapper. While it performed great, I thought that the BB took a little break-in before it kicked into gear. This one got a lot of love from everyone, and if you want an ASA version of the CL22 in the main line, this is it.

CL22 - just about what everyone would expect out of a 12" USSSA DeMarini, endloaded but not crazy. The bat felt pretty true to sticker and we had zero issues with the 44's. Also had a very similar feel to the CL22's of the past and performed very well right out of the wrapper. It kind of was having an off day rushing around all over, but still cracked 90 on the gun a couple times.

USSSA Aftermath (UFLIP) - this bat was the talk of the day. Everyone was raving about the performance that they were getting with it and literally made a few people giddy. We probably put 150-200 cuts on it with the gold dots and performed very well and had zero issues. I was just behind the CL22 with it, but I've been swinging my CL22's almost exclusively since mid-summer so it was probably an easier transition to the new one with a familiar sweet spot. What I really loved about the UFLIP was that it has a much softer feel than what you would expect out of the previous USSSA bats in the lineup. There is no doubt that this one is a performer.

Last edited:

SwaGGY P

Extra Hitter
Nice review bro.
So which utrip bat is above the other hot out the wrapper and distance wise?? Basically which will be the better utrip bat

TRaj2327

I was pitching in the ASA cage for some time before I got to hit the USSSA sticks, but both were neck and neck in terms of performance (ball speed) so it's going to come down to which you like in terms of the endload/balance, 12" vs. 13" barrel, and if you like a softer or more crisp barrel. That's where the differences lie, so they're really very different. I can't comment on distance because we hit inside this time of year in these parts. The aftermath maybe got a bit more love right from the wrapper, but the CL22 came on quick once it loosened up a bit.

nickolie22

Addicted to Softballfans
Good review. Any issues with paint cracks or anything? Does the Uflip swing like the spec one?

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Any reason you aren't comparing the new Juggernaut to the '14? The way you compare it to the J3A (slightly more EL), it sounds just like the '14.

TRaj2327

Juggernaut - the bat felt great right out of the wrapper and has that same springy sound that it has had since the J3A. Endload was maybe slightly more noticeable, but perhaps in my head since I normally swing 26's in most bats. Granted he's a big dude, but Begs hit a couple that touched 97 on the gun. It was darn impressive for a .52 ball, and something that you would normally only see on a well broken-in bat. They nailed it again with this one.

I was only talking about the sound when I mentioned the J3A. The endload I was talking about was because it was a 27 and my Juggy last year was a 26 so I said it may have just been the weight change. Take that at face value, I'm really not sure. We know they could feel different from bat to bat even in the same weight because of the fluctuation in scale weights.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Nice reviews, I still want to try a 28oz USA AM even though I have no reason for one and it doesn't sound like a good fit for me. The 27 BB I swung was just a touch too light, felt like it would be good but I couldn't put a good swing on it.

TRaj2327

Good review. Any issues with paint cracks or anything? Does the Uflip swing like the spec one?

No issues at all. Yea, I would say the Spec.1 is a decent comparison for swing weight. It felt good.

Nice reviews, I still want to try a 28oz USA AM even though I have no reason for one and it doesn't sound like a good fit for me. The 27 BB I swung was just a touch too light, felt like it would be good but I couldn't put a good swing on it.

27 swung smooth but I just prefer a lighter bat. You'd probably like the 28 though.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I just may have to get one then, but I really want to add some green and white to the collection first....

I just saw an ad for the new 2015 line and they talk advertised one of the AM's as helping with backspin and lift. Flippers are the one bat line I've struggled not to hit knuckle balls with. I occasionally hit knuckle balls but not consistently except when I try somebodies Flipper variant. I always just figured it was how the bat fit my swing to make me really square up on the ball but the fact they advertise it as the opposite has me wondering. What about a bat's construction other than how it fits your swing would affect whether you hit knucklers or backspin the ball?

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
The way that the barrel compresses with the divergent technology would create more surface area contact of the ball. This would normally create a knuckle ball effect if your swing is normally a line drive swing. If you are cutting the ball (downward motion through contact) the barrel compresses more than normal bats and grips the ball with a slightly greater coefficient of friction; hence, more backspin.

TRaj2327

The airgap construction is designed to generate additional backspin based on the info that I dug into. If you hit overspin/topspin linedrives typically I guess that would create the knuckleball? Basically the deflection angle created by the gap between barrels and contact on the inner wall induces additional backspin and backspin/cut promotes distance. Hopefully I got that all right.

Me personally, I don't normally try to cut the ball. However, when I hit the aftermath I did start my hands a bit higher to change the attack angle and the cut I was generating was impressive, so it sounds like it's doing it's job.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Normally I try to swing flat through the bottomish of the ball giving me a backspinning liner that carries or lifts. Makes sense if the outer barrel compresses more that I would be more squared on the ball and hitting knucklers. Makes me want to go back and try them again with a little more chop to my swing.

TRaj2327

Just try to start with your hands a bit higher and focus on not dropping them. That's all I did and have been working on this winter. It's a tough habit to break. I also moved up a tad in the box to take the lower pitch away.

Chico_O

Bat Addict
Great Reviews man, much appreciated.
In your opinion, since it seems we both like to swing the lighter bats, Im loving the 2013 Mercy- but also am a sucker for new things :p Does the new Mercy have the Made for Womens stamp on the barrel still? Not that its all that important since the '13s I have all have them on it too, but just curious.

And if you had the choice between a '13 Mercy and the new '15 Mercy- what would you rather swing? As I understand it, the '14 and '15 seem to swing a tad heavier (tad bit endload?) then the '13 which I feel swings super balanced.

Thanks in advance bro!

TRaj2327

Great Reviews man, much appreciated.
In your opinion, since it seems we both like to swing the lighter bats, Im loving the 2013 Mercy- but also am a sucker for new things :p Does the new Mercy have the Made for Womens stamp on the barrel still? Not that its all that important since the '13s I have all have them on it too, but just curious.

And if you had the choice between a '13 Mercy and the new '15 Mercy- what would you rather swing? As I understand it, the '14 and '15 seem to swing a tad heavier (tad bit endload?) then the '13 which I feel swings super balanced.

Thanks in advance bro!

It is still marked on the barrel. I'm not direct, nor am I anyone in the big picture, but we've all heard rumors that was supposed to change. Who knows, maybe it will mid-year? It is absent from the handle though. I don't have a lot of ASA around here, and what ASA there is doesn't care about that stuff.

I'm going with the '15 over the '13. Maybe it's in my head, but I think it swings heavier which I like. Most people thought that about the '14 and I think it holds true again. No doubt that its an awesome stick that is going to deliver.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans

Ken, I just ordered the utrip in a 28 through Jason and going to try to talk Demarini into sending me a USA AM as a return. If all goes good I should get one before ASA ball league.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
That would be troublesome for me, I'm so happy right now only having to choose between 28.5 or 27.5

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
DC's and Futures are fire for sure. Wont think twice about selling the AM if it dont get there in 300 swings like our gamers...

Just wanting to try something endloaded ASA stamp besides the Future so Im targeting the USA aftermath for this year in asa

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
JWheels likes it for ASA, should be good. My DC's are going to greener pastures.... Life is becoming simple again, except I'm changing over to super fat grips to see how that works for me......

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
JWheels likes it for ASA, should be good. My DC's are going to greener pastures.... Life is becoming simple again, except I'm changing over to super fat grips to see how that works for me......

Yup, Im just here to **** your mind up on bats haha........