Roller bag or back pack

rick6

Addicted to Softballfans
Have always used a bag even before the rollers. But lately been looking at the bat packs. I know it's all personal preference but was just interested in some thoughts of others. Thanks

SandyWH

#Delicious
Its a little pricey, but the new Grit BP01 BackPack has all the room of a roller, shelf system, holds 4 bats, and has a thermal lined cooler pocket.
It has by far the most room of any back pack I have ever owned, and doesn't look too bulky.

Other than that, go with the Diamond ix3 and build your own shelf system.

Both will last for years , as opposed to most other back packs.

Last edited:

Markous

The Rookie
I actually use both. Two leagues I play in I am one of 2 people who have bats. So I need the roller bag to carry most of my stash. I use my backpack when I don't have to bring the whole collection or when I'm playing baseball.

It's a nice feeling to travel light and if I didn't need to bring 5 bats I'd use the backpack all the time.

SandyWH

#Delicious
I actually use both. Two leagues I play in I am one of 2 people who have bats. So I need the roller bag to carry most of my stash. I use my backpack when I don't have to bring the whole collection or when I'm playing baseball.

It's a nice feeling to travel light and if I didn't need to bring 5 bats I'd use the backpack all the time.
Same here.
I use the roller for league ball where most everyone is swinging out of my bag. I can get 8 bats in my roller.
But for tournaments, I carry the backpack because I don't have to worry about everyone else.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
It really depends on what you bring to games. I used a roller back pack from Elite for years. Had just enough room for my stuff. I recently switched to the Grit Roller bag. I can fit more stiff in there......even my modified block rocker that fits snuggly in the bottom.

Versik

Was looking at backpacks myself, only real concern is that I can't get a feel for if they are bulky or not. The fact I have 3 car seats in my vehicle and work stuff in my trunk means I need something that isn't too big. Definately need something more than what I have though.

MaverickAH

Was looking at backpacks myself, only real concern is that I can't get a feel for if they are bulky or not. The fact I have 3 car seats in my vehicle and work stuff in my trunk means I need something that isn't too big. Definately need something more than what I have though.

First, determine what you want the bag to hold.

Bats / Glove(s) / Shoes / Clothes & Misc.:
You're probably looking at a full sized BP in the range of 26x14x12 or bigger. That's going to be pretty bulky but still smaller than a full-sized bat bag.

If you don't need it to carry bats or shoes or a lot of extra stuff, you can get away with smaller. If you don't need wheels, that'll also save you some space. Something in the size range of 20x12x9 or smaller might suit your needs.

Versik

First, determine what you want the bag to hold.

Bats / Glove(s) / Shoes / Clothes & Misc.:
You're probably looking at a full sized BP in the range of 26x14x12 or bigger. That's going to be pretty bulky but still smaller than a full-sized bat bag.

If you don't need it to carry bats or shoes or a lot of extra stuff, you can get away with smaller. If you don't need wheels, that'll also save you some space. Something in the size range of 20x12x9 or smaller might suit your needs.

My needs would be at least 4 bats, a dozen balls, shoes, glove and book.

Right now my current bag is a very old Easton bat bag with no pockets other than the two bat spaces and the large main pocket that fits my extra batting practice metal bats, balls, shoes etc.

My problem with my current bag is it lack of pockets for small personal stuff and no dedicated space for balls which makes putting stuff away after games a hassle.

Though I've contemplated just getting a 5gal bucket for balls

I'm less concerned about bulkiness in my car I particular more along the lines of when I pack up the family to go play in tournaments how would it fit next to the twin stroller, clothes bags and etc that comes with having kids.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm less concerned about bulkiness in my car I particular more along the lines of when I pack up the family to go play in tournaments how would it fit next to the twin stroller, clothes bags and etc that comes with having kids.

If space is tight invest in a hard shell roof top cargo carrier. I got one when I was running out of trunk space when my girls were little.

MaverickAH

My needs would be at least 4 bats, a dozen balls, shoes, glove and book.

Right now my current bag is a very old Easton bat bag with no pockets other than the two bat spaces and the large main pocket that fits my extra batting practice metal bats, balls, shoes etc.

My problem with my current bag is it lack of pockets for small personal stuff and no dedicated space for balls which makes putting stuff away after games a hassle.

Though I've contemplated just getting a 5gal bucket for balls

Adding a dozen balls to any traditional styled back pack is a no-go IMHO. You're going to stress out the bag at some point & diminish its lifespan. The best solution for you is probably a full sized wheeled bag that's capable of being worn like a back pack.

In the past, I've had teammates with families who did something a little out of the box:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/43836329...75035&wl11=online&wl12=43836329&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.amazon.com/EasyGoWagon-...ld-20&linkId=b746caad9567913c5496d8ef0234780a

Pull it out, load up the kids & your stuff & pull away! It sounds like you might be a candidate for an option like this.

Versik

If space is tight invest in a hard shell roof top cargo carrier. I got one when I was running out of trunk space when my girls were little.

I actually have a hitch hauler but every time we take that on trips my wife thinks we can shop since we have space. I'd like to keep that as a last resort ; )

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had teammates use that second wagon as a portable crib to keep the kids corralled.

I pitch, so backpacks aren't really an option anymore. Most of your current bags have plenty of extra pockets for organization. I've got my last two DLAS Combat bags so I hope to be set for several years.

hitsone

If you fly to tourneys roller bags might not last.
2 years in a row we won roller bags.
2 years in a row the bags wheels were broken off by the airline flying to Huntsman tourney.
Bat Packs eliminate that eventuality but rollers are so much easier

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you fly to tourneys roller bags might not last.
2 years in a row we won roller bags.
2 years in a row the bags wheels were broken off by the airline flying to Huntsman tourney.
Bat Packs eliminate that eventuality but rollers are so much easier
What do you check your bats in when flying with batpacks?