Run Ruling

rocketman98

Starting Player
I know we have talked about it several times. I just have a question about this.
Here is the situation:

Coed League (I know, it's coed). We are playing a brand new team that has been together no more than a couple of months. We have been playing together for over a year, but constantly have team drama which causes us to play horrible hence why we are on the rec field again. It is cold and windy out, so no one wants to play at all. First inning they manage to get 2 runs in the top. We match with 18. The coach, my wife, and myself are trying to go station to station and only take one base at a time. The rest of our team is mad cause we are not ending it quickly so they can go home. Finally in the second we run ruled them.

I have never been on that side of a game that was that lopsided. I have been on the losing end several times, so I know what that is like. I truly wanted to help them out, but what do we do in that instance. Is it better to just end it in the first? I don't think all of their line up even got to bat!

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO i would at least wanna play 5 innings! to go an only play one or two innings is a complete waste of time! even if it is cold and windy....**** we play in the damn snow up here! my advice put together a new team, play on a differ team or stick to mens

rocketman98

Starting Player
Thanks. The ones that are getting mad were the ones that have caused all of the drama. Yes it was cold when we played, but it was cold all day, so they knew before they played what it would be like.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
Go up to the one that starts most of the drama and tell him, my guess is its a guy, to sit down and STFU. The rest should follow suit and if he doesnt stop kick him off the team.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
to me, going station to station is almost more of a slap in the face than just playing. I've been on both sides of the situation (winning and losing) and have been on the losing side when station-to-station was utilized and also when they just played it out. While both suck and both are frustrating, having a team play almost a cat and mouse, "we feel bad for you so we'll just run half assed" game is worse than just playing hard all the time.

whogotz

dilligaf?
in that situation i have asked the other coach what they want, usually they ask to take it easy because they want to at least get some swings in. station to station gives them at least a shot at some force outs.

jbar2845

Officer Friendly
I agree going base to base can certianly make things look bad too.....I just wouldnt go stretching doubles into triples and that sort of thing.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are up that big, especially in rec coed, another thing you can do is hit an easy grounder to an infielder, so they can get an out. They don't know what you are doing by intentionally getting an out, and it boosts their confidence.

rocketman98

Starting Player
I agree going base to base can certianly make things look bad too.....I just wouldnt go stretching doubles into triples and that sort of thing.

I see what you are saying.

If you are up that big, especially in rec coed, another thing you can do is hit an easy grounder to an infielder, so they can get an out. They don't know what you are doing by intentionally getting an out, and it boosts their confidence.

I never thought of that. I will keep that in mind next time.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans

We've had a couple teams do this to us this season. It's my team's first year in the league and first time playing softball in decades for some. Our manager has played a bunch and definitely appreciates teams that basically give us a live infield workout and still let's us get ABs in once they put up a big lead.

rocketman98

Starting Player
We've had a couple teams do this to us this season. It's my team's first year in the league and first time playing softball in decades for some. Our manager has played a bunch and definitely appreciates teams that basically give us a live infield workout and still let's us get ABs in once they put up a big lead.

I think that is what we will do next time.

matte22

Addicted to Softballfans
dont leg out triples and take walks.and if a guy does walk when up 20 plus runs the girl should at least try to hit imo.

mihklo

What are the run rules in that league? All the leagues I play in make it go at least 3 innings (or 2 and a half if home team is up by a bunch)

cyoung187

Coach
Why does anyone get pissy about run rules? People are so easily offended these days. I go out there to play, don't care if we are up 20 or down 20, I want to keep playing.

fasa45

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are playing a team that you know cannot complete and you are up by 15, station to station. You are up and you know the other team cannot catch up, there is no need to run up the score.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
18 actually doesn't match 2.

It does if you match 2 nine times.

If you are playing a team that you know cannot complete and you are up by 15, station to station. You are up and you know the other team cannot catch up, there is no need to run up the score.

Station to station can be insulting also. Hitting a legit double (not stretching singles to doubles, doubles to triples, and triples to in the parkers), and running to first and stopping is worse than going ahead and running the double.

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO i would at least wanna play 5 innings! to go an only play one or two innings is a complete waste of time! even if it is cold and windy....**** we play in the damn snow up here! my advice put together a new team, play on a differ team or stick to mens

I really don't see the point of driving to the field, only to play 2 innings. I have been on both ends before and it is no fun being smacked around like that. I remember being blown out 32-1 in church rec ball.

On the flip side, that should force that other team to go out and practice.

Thanks. The ones that are getting mad were the ones that have caused all of the drama. Yes it was cold when we played, but it was cold all day, so they knew before they played what it would be like.

Somehow i knew that you would say that. Those are the individuals that you have to get rid of. I got rid of the cancerous players on my team from the previous year. Did we lose talent? yes but we gained some as well and their attitude is much better than the individuals that left.

rocketman98

Starting Player
What are the run rules in that league? All the leagues I play in make it go at least 3 innings (or 2 and a half if home team is up by a bunch)

I think it is 20 after 2, 15 after 3, 12 after 4, and 10 after 5. We ended in the 2nd 22-2.

Somehow i knew that you would say that. Those are the individuals that you have to get rid of. I got rid of the cancerous players on my team from the previous year. Did we lose talent? yes but we gained some as well and their attitude is much better than the individuals that left.

Actually we didn't have to get rid of them. This weekend they told us that they felt the team wasn't giving it their all so they quit. My first response was "No crap, we run ruled them easily. Sorry we are not heartless like you." The problem is they didn't pay, so I get to flip the bill for them.

blakcherry329

to me, going station to station is almost more of a slap in the face than just playing. I've been on both sides of the situation (winning and losing) and have been on the losing side when station-to-station was utilized and also when they just played it out. While both suck and both are frustrating, having a team play almost a cat and mouse, "we feel bad for you so we'll just run half assed" game is worse than just playing hard all the time.

I concur. Just play ball. Don't stretch singles into doubles and stuff like that. However, if you hit a gapper, jog to 2nd or 3rd. It's our job to play defense. If we don't, it's our fault.

Having said that, 1st or 2nd inning might be a little early to shut it down totally, but I wouldn't be upset at someone that did.

rocketman98

Starting Player
I concur. Just play ball. Don't stretch singles into doubles and stuff like that. However, if you hit a gapper, jog to 2nd or 3rd. It's our job to play defense. If we don't, it's our fault.

Having said that, 1st or 2nd inning might be a little early to shut it down totally, but I wouldn't be upset at someone that did.

Normally I would agree that it is early to shut it down. We put up 18 in the first inning, plus they could not field at all. We made sure we had enough runs. Majority of my team knows what it is like to be there, so we wanted to make sure they had fun and got some playing time.

MaverickAH

Killing an obviously inferior team & want to help them out? The easiest way to do it is to:

Step off a base early & make it obvious! No one get embarrassed. No one hurts their BA.

Why more people don't do this when they want to give a team outs is beyond me. It's the easiest way to do it.