Any Runner ball contact question

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Hi all,
We had a weird one today. Runner from first takes a turn at second and gets hit in the chest from a throw from left. I know the runner getting hit from a throw is not an issue. Here is where my conundrum lies. The runner, while running, kicks the ball. The kick comes from the running motion but the ball goes back out towards the outfield. I thought the runner is out after the second contact where the ball is propelled away from the play with a kicking motion but the umpire (player from the batting team) called safe. What's the call.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Where did you get this idea? So long as the runner did not kick the ball purposely, the ump had it right. Play on.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Thanks for the reply. I thought the initial contact was fine but the kick to the outfield was the issue. I didn't think intent would be taken into play here. Learn something new everyday.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
There is no specific rule about 2nd contact. Second contact is the same rule as first contact, if the runner intentionally interferes he is out otherwise play on live ball.