USSSA Runner hit on base??????

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
Last weekend at a usssa tournament we had bases loaded no outs. I hit a ball up the middle and it hits the guy on second in the stomach while hes standing on the base. The ump calls the ball dead and the runner on second out. I get first and the runner on first gets second. Was this the right call? I thought it was a live ball since the runner was on the base.

USSSA

The Veteran
as long as runner is in contact with base, ball is live, runner is safe, its like the ball hit the bag

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
This is one of those plays where you can get completely different rulings depending on which rules you're playing under.

One thing in common is that in softball a runner hit by a batted ball while in contact with a base is NOT out- unless he does something to intentionally interfere, like stick out his hand to swat the ball or purposely knock it down.

Now things get different...

As stated, for USSSA the ball remains live. Play on and get what you get.

For NSA, the ball is immediately dead. Award the batter first base. Advance other runners only if forced.

For ASA, if the ball has passed an infielder (other than the pitcher) the ball remains live. If the ball has not passed an infielder, the ball is dead and the batter gets first.

Three different sanctioning bodies...three different rules for the exact same play.

Last edited:

Joker

so whats the difference from a runner in contact with the base and not in contact with the base?

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Talk about taking one for the team! :eek:;)

Runner on second is safe safe safe as long as he didn't move!

ballbuster

Addicted to Softballfans
I seen that with a group of senior guys I play with. Ball smokedup the middle with an UII. Hit the guy in the belly standing on second. Scary part he didnt even flinch.