Any runner interfereing at 2nd on DP

had a runner coming into 2nd with hands up,SS hit him,are there any circumstances that the batter/runner going to first would be safe and the DP not given.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Only reason I can think is that the ump believed that the runner wasn't intentionally doing it to break up the DP. Otherwise, I can't think of a reason.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the SS had zero chance whatsoever of getting the out (ie., the batter-runner is just a few feet shy of the bag before the throw), then there's no interference. No play could have been made.

The benefit of the doubt, however, is given to the defense in this case.

icnaz21

Starting Player
SS hit him in the forehead? our ss did that once. sounded like it hurt but it was funny because the dude was a dil and deserved it

If the SS had zero chance whatsoever of getting the out (ie., the batter-runner is just a few feet shy of the bag before the throw), then there's no interference. No play could have been made.

The benefit of the doubt, however, is given to the defense in this case.

kinda what our ump said(he is our uic).i wasn't watching the runner at first,so had no argument with him about that.we talked about it later,and i asked him about the throwing up of the hands,he said it wouldn't of made a diff anyways,runner going to first would of beat the throw.i ask why he assumed that our SS didn't have the arm to get him.now if the runner still had 3-4 or more steps,yes he would of have made the DP call.

SS hit him in the forehead? our ss did that once. sounded like it hurt but it was funny because the dude was a dil and deserved it

na shoulder or arm,runner was like 6'4",SS 5'8" ,no way was he gonna be able to throw without hitting him.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
had a runner coming into 2nd with hands up,SS hit him,are there any circumstances that the batter/runner going to first would be safe and the DP not given.

Speaking ASA

If you mean the runner raised his hands in a manner to interfere (not protect himself) it is INT and an immediate dead ball, not when it hits him.

Assuming that runner was already retired, the runner closest to home is going to be called out.