ASA Runner Interference Call

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
************SAME UMP I COMPLAINED ABOUT EARLIER**************

I hit a ball up the middle and the pitcher threw his foot up to stop it. He ended up kicking it towards the first base line. I was running in foul territory on the outer line of the base line towards the orange bag and ran into the first baseman going for the ball (in foul territory), while trying to get around him and to the base. I was called out for runner interference. Correct call i know is once the pitcher touches the ball it is a live ball and if its laying in the baseline i have just as much right to the baseline as the fielder does to get the ball. Im actually suprised our umps didnt call it foul:rolleyes:. Thoughts?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
************SAME UMP I COMPLAINED ABOUT EARLIER**************

I hit a ball up the middle and the pitcher threw his foot up to stop it. He ended up kicking it towards the first base line. I was running in foul territory on the outer line of the base line towards the orange bag and ran into the first baseman going for the ball (in foul territory), while trying to get around him and to the base. I was called out for runner interference. Correct call i know is once the pitcher touches the ball it is a live ball and if its laying in the baseline i have just as much right to the baseline as the fielder does to get the ball. Im actually suprised our umps didnt call it foul:rolleyes:. Thoughts?

Speaking ASA, not necessarilyl

If on a deflected batted ball, the umpire believed the fielder (F3) had the opportunity to execute an out and you could have avoided him, it is the correct call.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Seems like you just like to complain about umpires. irishmafia brings up a good point. It becomes a judgement call, did you prevent F3 from making a play?
Your description seems odd to me. The ball is in foul territory and you collided w/ F3 in foul territory (as you said it was the outer line). If you were trying to avoid contact with a fielder in foul territory (like you're supposed to do if he's making a play on the ball), you should have moved to your left putting you in fair territory. So it sounds to me like you could have avoided him.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Seems like you just like to complain about umpires. irishmafia brings up a good point. It becomes a judgement call, did you prevent F3 from making a play?
Your description seems odd to me. The ball is in foul territory and you collided w/ F3 in foul territory (as you said it was the outer line). If you were trying to avoid contact with a fielder in foul territory (like you're supposed to do if he's making a play on the ball), you should have moved to your left putting you in fair territory. So it sounds to me like you could have avoided him.

i know some of you want to give the OP a hard time after his recent posts but that goes against everything you are taught as a runner. orange base is in foul territory, 3' running lane is in foul territory, running in fair territory makes you liable to be called out if hit with a thrown ball (so does running outside the 3' lane in foul territory but how often do you ever see someone run that far in foul territory on a ball to the IF?)

without seeing the play, sounds like the runner was caught off guard when running to 1st and having the ball deflect towards him and having the 1B running towards him.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
This is a "had to see it" play. Way too many variables. Irish said it best for what we know.

Oh, and as for the "Im actually suprised our umps didnt call it foul.:rolleyes:" it was a FAIR ball. The pitcher contacted the ball while it was in the field of play. I am surprised that you would think it is foul...:cool:

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Oh, and as for the "Im actually suprised our umps didnt call it foul.:rolleyes:" it was a FAIR ball. The pitcher contacted the ball while it was in the field of play. I am surprised that you would think it is foul...:cool:

I believe he meant that he knew it was a fair ball, but that his umps suck at their job so bad that he would not be at all surprised if they blew that call as well.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
I believe he meant that he knew it was a fair ball, but that his umps suck at their job so bad that he would not be at all surprised if they blew that call as well.

Ok, that makes sense.... Thanx. My sarcasm detector must need new batteries...

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried to avoid him and went head over heels trying to. I hit the ground and rolled then dove back to the bag to avoid a possible tag. I was standing on the bag asking the first baseman if he was ok before the call came from the ump. The calling it foul thing was sarcastic, but i wouldnt have been any more surprised if it was called foul rather than interference. Im 99% positive if it was any other umpire or the same ump and wasnt our team that call is not made

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
Please complain more about the umpires working your games. Either deal with it or find a new league. Complaining on a thread where most visitors are umpires is not going to get you very far (just like the games).

As to your OP, even though the pitcher deflected the ball there is not free reign to impede the 1st baseman from making a play on the ball and subsquently you. Without being there, I can't truly give a straight answer... but when you are making complaint after complaint to/about umpires calls have a habit of going against you.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Please complain more about the umpires working your games. Either deal with it or find a new league. Complaining on a thread where most visitors are umpires is not going to get you very far (just like the games).

As to your OP, even though the pitcher deflected the ball there is not free reign to impede the 1st baseman from making a play on the ball and subsquently you. Without being there, I can't truly give a straight answer... but when you are making complaint after complaint to/about umpires calls have a habit of going against you.

We are going to a new league. Point is ask anyone whos played there before (a few guys on SBF who have) this particular umpire is going to single handedly kill that league and ASA in the area because that is the closest to us. Already went from multiple nights a week to 1 eight team league cuz everyone who plays there leaves to play utrip at a different venue

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I was running in foul territory on the outer line of the base line towards the orange bag and ran into the first baseman going for the ball (in foul territory), while trying to get around him and to the base.

I believe the rule regarding a throw pulling the 1B into foul territory would apply here as well, wherein, the white/orange requirement flip-flops to -- the runner MUST use the WHITE bag and the fielder MUST use the orange bag for that specific play...

The whole point of two bags is to avoid collisions... as the runner, you should have switched to the fairside WHITE as soon as you saw the play was going to pull the 1B into foul territory....

I think the ump made the right call... even if it's an unusual play and you may have been confused.... it was still interference --- intent is not necessary...

JMO...

%%%

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Had to be there but.....the ump probably doesn't like you either. That never helps your cause.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe the rule regarding a throw pulling the 1B into foul territory would apply here as well, wherein, the white/orange requirement flip-flops to -- the runner MUST use the WHITE bag and the fielder MUST use the orange bag for that specific play...

Not true. The runner MAY use the white base and the fielder MAY use the colored portion of the base. There is no requirement.
The whole point of two bags is to avoid collisions... as the runner, you should have switched to the fairside WHITE as soon as you saw the play was going to pull the 1B into foul territory....

Actually, the base has no bearing on this play and I have no idea why it is part of the discussion