Other runner interference?

srjdog

Runner on first, Line drive to first baseman, hits the glove, ball is dropped. Base runner on first kicks the ball into right field on the way to second and isn't called for obstruction and gets to second. I don't believe it was an intentional kick, but questionable if she could have got out of the way and also got a little tangled up with defensive player. Just not clear on this rule.

CC-Ump

Part Time Player
Interference is on the offense, obstruction is on the defense. If the kick was unintentional, then it was likely nothing. I'm not going to reward the defense for failing to make a play. However, the fielder, without the ball, getting tangled with the runner is likely obstruction.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Ultimately it's a matter of the umpire judging intent--if the baserunner kicked the ball away on purpose (and in this case you're saying it was a girl, and so I'm assuming coed rec-level ball and thus likely unintentional), then you'd have interference on the runner and the runner would be out. If the kicked ball is deemed unintentional then the ball remains live. Obstruction likely isn't a factor in this play as the baserunner safely reached second base--it's a delayed dead ball up until the baserunner reaches what the umpire judges he/she would've reached safely had obstruction not occurred.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree. If it's not intentional, or if the runner didn't have sufficient time to avoid kicking it, I've got nothing on this play.

Just remember: who put the ball there to begin with? Answer: the first baseman. S/he put the ball in the runner's path, and if the runner had nowhere to go, how can you fault her for accidentally kicking the ball?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Only time this would be interference is if the runner getting tangled up with the 1b cause the fielder to not catch the batted ball, other than that sounds like no call, live ball.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. If it's not intentional, or if the runner didn't have sufficient time to avoid kicking it, I've got nothing on this play.

Just remember: who put the ball there to begin with? Answer: the first baseman. S/he put the ball in the runner's path, and if the runner had nowhere to go, how can you fault her for accidentally kicking the ball?

This is what I would do. Have to see it if she intentionally kicked the ball or not.