Runner leaving Base

GaBo

ASA Senior Softball. Runner on first base. The runner leaves first base as the batter swings at the pitch. The batter misses the ball (a swinging strike). Can the runner be called out for leaving the base too early?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Are you saying that the runner can leave with the swing of the bat regardless is contact is made or not??
I’m saying they can’t be called out for it. However, they can’t steal in Senior Slow Pitch, so they have to return to their base.

ureout

The Veteran
Are you saying that the runner can leave with the swing of the bat regardless is contact is made or not??

here is the rule...
Section 7. THE RUNNER IS OUT.
When the runner fails to keep contact with the base to which they are entitled until a pitched ball is batted, touches the ground, or reaches home plate.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
In the OP, it states the batter swings at the pitch. To me that implies that the pitch has reached the plate. Therefore, runners are permitted to leave their base.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
In the OP, it states the batter swings at the pitch. To me that implies that the pitch has reached the plate. Therefore, runners are permitted to leave their base.

I agree this may often be the case, but the OP isn't that specific. The swing is actually irrelevant unless contact is made in front of the plate

ureout

The Veteran
I agree this may often be the case, but the OP isn't that specific. The swing is actually irrelevant unless contact is made in front of the plate

I thought the actual rule that I posted explained all the what if's pretty clearly