Runner on 1B (on the base) hit by batted ball

qflex

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner on 1B.
Runner on 2B.
Fielder behind base.

Batter hits line drive and hits runner on 1B.
ASA

Can I see the exact rule? I've heard it's under rule 8?

We've had this happen 2 weekends in a row.

Thanks in advance!!

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
For ASA, a runner hit by a fair batted ball while in contact with a base is not out, unless the runner did something to intentionally contact the ball. If the nearest fielder is behind the runner it is a live ball. If the nearest fielder is in front it is a dead ball and runners move up if forced and batter is awarded first base. So in this case it's a live ball and play on.

At least that's what I recall..

Joker

you got the dead ball stuff backwards

fielder behind the runner = dead ball
fielder in front of the runner = live ball

rule 8, 1, E

mikeo9001

Starting Player
One question about the possible ruling.

Is it ANY fielder is in front of the runner (I know the pitcher doesn't count) or just the closest fielder. Example:

Third baseman is playing a few steps in front of the 2nd to 3rd baseline with a left handed hitter up but first baseman is playing behind the runner on 1st. Would the third baseman be considered in front of the runner on 1st?

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
One question about the possible ruling.

Is it ANY fielder is in front of the runner (I know the pitcher doesn't count) or just the closest fielder. Example:

Third baseman is playing a few steps in front of the 2nd to 3rd baseline with a left handed hitter up but first baseman is playing behind the runner on 1st. Would the third baseman be considered in front of the runner on 1st?

No. As NCASAUmp said, it's closest fielder. Basically the rule is allowing the fielder to have a play on the batted ball. That's why it's live if the fielder is in front of the runner. They are the one that had a play on the batted ball, had a chance at it, and missed it.

thebestpr21

Addicted to Softballfans
Some made the distinction of this being the rule for ASA. I understand the questions was specific to ASA Is the rule different for usssa?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Some made the distinction of this being the rule for ASA. I understand the questions was specific to ASA Is the rule different for usssa?

Same rule for a runner getting hit by a fair batted ball while in contact with a base- he's not out, unless judged to have intentionally interfered- BUT in USSSA slow pitch the ball always remains live, no matter where the fielders are playing.

And there are others (NSA for instance) where in this situation the ball is always dead!