Other Runner safe or out?

NFHS
If a runner, while in contact with the base is hit with a fair ball, is she out or protected (ie. safe.)?
Is this a Live or Dead ball?

If a runner is hit with a fair ball, behind the 1st baseman, is the runner safe or out?
Have seen this one called the same but explained in different ways. Runner was hit while advancing to 2nd base, umpire called it immediately. But F3 was 3ft in front of bag, so ball passed an infielder. BU said it didn't matter. I disagree on this one.
Then saw another runner hit, but the call was made when BU determined that F4 could have made a play, if the ball wasn't deflected. This one I agree with.

What is the correct ruling or interpretation here? Thanks!

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
I beleive any runner hit with a ball is out doesn't matter if someone can make a play on it or not.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I beleive any runner hit with a ball is out doesn't matter if someone can make a play on it or not.

You would believe incorrectly.

The runner is not out unless she intentionally interferes. Whether the ball remains live or dead is a question that someone who calls NFHS will have to answer.

In ASA, the ball remains live if it has already passed the nearest fielder. If it hasn't passed the nearest fielder, it's a dead ball.

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
NCASAUMP, how about if it only passes the pitcher. Like if the runner on second gets hit off the bag by a step or so? I am not familiar with ASA. Other associations do not count the pitcher as a fielder and the runner would be out. If it hits the pitcher or his glove, it is a live ball.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
Will someone who used to call NFHS do? It's 8-1-2a:

Da Hi Skool Roolz said:
When a fair ball touches a runner who is in contact with a base, the ball is dead or live depending on whether the closest fielder is in front of the base (live) or behind the base (dead). The runner is not out unless she intentionally interferes.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
NCASAUMP, how about if it only passes the pitcher. Like if the runner on second gets hit off the bag by a step or so? I am not familiar with ASA. Other associations do not count the pitcher as a fielder and the runner would be out. If it hits the pitcher or his glove, it is a live ball.

We're talking about 2 additional situations now:
1) A runner hit off the base by an untouched batted ball
2) A runner hit off the base by a deflected ball.

In your first situation, it depends on whether or not it has already passed an infielder other than the pitcher, and whether any other fielder had an opportunity to make an out. If it has already passed an infielder and no other fielder had an opportunity to make an out, it's a live ball. Otherwise, the ball is dead, and the runner is out.

In your second situation, the runner would be safe, so long as they didn't have enough time to avoid contact with the ball. If they had plenty of time to avoid it, then we could have an interference call.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
If a runner is hit with a fair ball, behind the 1st baseman, is the runner safe or out?
Have seen this one called the same but explained in different ways. Runner was hit while advancing to 2nd base, umpire called it immediately. But F3 was 3ft in front of bag, so ball passed an infielder. BU said it didn't matter. I disagree on this one.
Then saw another runner hit, but the call was made when BU determined that F4 could have made a play, if the ball wasn't deflected. This one I agree with.

What is the correct ruling or interpretation here? Thanks!

As to this part: In FED, if the ball has passed an infielder other than the pitcher, the question becomes whether another fielder has an opportunity to make an out. Keep in mind that that could be the right fielder.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
So NFHS handles it like ASA?
Yes it does. Is that enough characters yet, board? :)

Edit: Well, not exactly. ASA says "passed a fielder;" FED goes by the position of the nearest fielder. I can imagine those being different, but on a 60' diamond, not usually.

MaverickAH

You would believe incorrectly.

The runner is not out unless she intentionally interferes. Whether the ball remains live or dead is a question that someone who calls NFHS will have to answer.

In ASA, the ball remains live if it has already passed the nearest fielder. If it hasn't passed the nearest fielder, it's a dead ball.

The rule is the same for both.

I find it a bit unusual for a runner on 1B to be hit with a batted ball while on the base unless it was a line drive. Runners can leave the base on the pitcher's release. Be that as it may, the runner is protected if they're on the bag.

I think that one thing a lot of people don't realize is that it is possible for a batted ball to pass a fielder, hit a runner & still have a runner called out if there is another fielder in position to make a play. You'll see it happen from time to time in FP with a runner on 1B & a ball hit in the 3-4 hole.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
The rule is the same for both.

I find it a bit unusual for a runner on 1B to be hit with a batted ball while on the base unless it was a line drive. Runners can leave the base on the pitcher's release. Be that as it may, the runner is protected if they're on the bag.

I think that one thing a lot of people don't realize is that it is possible for a batted ball to pass a fielder, hit a runner & still have a runner called out if there is another fielder in position to make a play. You'll see it happen from time to time in FP with a runner on 1B & a ball hit in the 3-4 hole.

Thinking back on all of my NFHS games........I think I have maybe had 4 runners hit by a batted ball. None of them in a Varsity game. And none while in contact with a base. Had two daughters play HS ball....and they would have been on the bench if they had not been off the base right after a pitch.......:cool:

Joel

philliephil

The Veteran
Same rule(s) apply for USSSA? I've always been of the impression "runner in fair territory that is hit by batted ball is out. End of story. Dead ball, batter takes 1st."

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Same rule(s) apply for USSSA? I've always been of the impression "runner in fair territory that is hit by batted ball is out. End of story. Dead ball, batter takes 1st."

When it comes to a runner being hit with a fair batted ball while ON a base, USSSA is slightly different from ASA, as is NSA.

USSSA - Ball always remains live.
NSA - Ball always becomes dead. Batter-runner is awarded first base, runners advance only if forced.