ASA Runner tags early, ball thrown out of play, cannot appeal?

batrater

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner on 1st, fly ball hit to center field, runner leaves 2 or 3 steps before it was caught. Everyone knew he left early, but when the ball was thrown back into the infield it went out of play. Umpire says you cannot appeal runner leaving early because the ball went out of play, Is this the right call?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Runner on 1st, fly ball hit to center field, runner leaves 2 or 3 steps before it was caught. Everyone knew he left early, but when the ball was thrown back into the infield it went out of play. Umpire says you cannot appeal runner leaving early because the ball went out of play, Is this the right call?
Nope.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless you were trying to make a live ball appeal. That can not be made because the ball went out of play. You can still make a legal dead ball appeal. I have seen players and managers confused by this and ask me multiple times about a play while the ball is dead and I can't comment, then do nothing when I make the ball live again.

MaverickAH

• Runner leaves early .
  • Ball is then caught & thrown out of play.
  • Umpire calls, "Dead ball" & makes the award of bases.
  • All runners are given the opportunity to correctly complete their awards. This includes retouching and/or touching all awarded bases.
  • Any runners who don't complete their warded bases correctly can be appealed by the defense once the ball is made live again.

In this particular case, the runner would've had to retouch 1B before continuing on & touching all his awarded bases. If he did not do this, he is subject to being appealed by the defense once the ball is returned into play.