Runner to first turns to left to walk back to base

r8dr_rider

I was playing 1B during league night. Guy hits grounder to short out runs the throw. I have the ball in my glove and watched him as he turned to the left back to the base. It was obvious he wasn’t trying to advance but I still tagged him. Blue said he wasn’t out because he wasn’t advancing. But I’ve always thought if you turn in (left) you are an active runner.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
I remember people were always out if they just turned to the left in our league
Then we finally learned it has to be an attempt going to 2nd to be tagged out.
I think someone schooled our umps

Last edited:

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner safe. He would have to make a true attempt at advancing to make a play on him. I always just run through the bag into foul territory, simplifies everything.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
This is one of the most enduring rule myths, that if you overrun first base and turn left, instead of right, you’re liable to be tagged out. It ranks right up there with “hands are part of the bat” and “foul pop ups have to go as high as the batter’s head to be caught for an out”! I can remember this coming up in a game when I was a kid...and that was a loooong time ago!

Turn left or turn right, it doesn’t matter. So long as you return directly to first base, you’re good. But if you make any move toward second you can be tagged out!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Turn left or turn right, it doesn’t matter. So long as you return directly to first base, you’re good. But if you make any move toward second you can be tagged out!

Technically it doesn't matter. But turning left can still be incorrectly construed as making an attempt towards second, especially if you're tagged while making your turn to come back.

I just take the "judgement" part out of the call by veering into foul territory and turning right. I know this isn't required by the rules but it makes it very obvious that I'm not even thinking about second.