Other Running Out of Base Path

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, the rule book says that the runner may overrun 1st base without liability to be put out. That implies that you can, in fact, overrun other bases, but WITH liability to be put out. In this case, he was not yet a retired runner.

I only referenced how the term is used in the rules. And there are leagues which allow runners to "overrun" all bases. Also, IMO, a runner who "overruns" 2B didn't over run anything, just a player running the bases. Until there is an attempted play, there is no restriction where that player can run. However, I will cede that physically, the player can over run any base, but I believe applying that general term is about as ridiculous as ASA's claim that tagging a runner who made an attempt toward 2B after touching first an "appeal" play. By their own definition it is not an appeal, it is just the tagging of a runner off the base and in jeopardy, no different than on any other part of the field.

Another difference I see when the play isn't looked at as multiple plays. The initial tag/play ended when the catcher fell to the ground with his mitt.

So you are now saying that a player prone to or on the ground cannot attempt a tag or a defender cannot attempt to tag a runner which has passed them though these happen routinely in the game. Can you provide a citation that a tag ends when you say it does? I cannot find it in MLB.

And, of course, I disagree. it is shown in the photos previously offered, the catcher is still mid-lunge (whatever the **** that is) and Suzuki is already beyond the back line of the BB.

A secondary play occurred when he then went after Ichiro. That is because when the catcher hit the ground with his glove, he was no longer in a position to execute an out. It is at that moment that Ichiro would have to be out of the baseline. I don't have an issue with someone saying that he was or was not at this point. That's a matter of judgment, not interpretation. I would have difficulty calling a runner out who is going back to a base and getting closer to the defender than he was initially. I am not going to reward poor defensive play (not just staying at the plate to apply a tag).

All irrelevant as he should have been declared out long before this point of the post-play activity.

If you say that a runner is no longer a runner when he passes the plate, how do you call a RUNNER out for moving more than 3 feet from the tag? I think you should reconsider whether the player still has "runner" status.

In the play at hand, the play is ongoing and the runner has not been called out or scored. But my comment was a general comment about "overrunning" the plate. Just like on the bases, if the play is continual you are just trying to make a play on a player running the bases, but even in baseball, lacking a continuing play, the runner is considered to have scored when passing the plate and then would need to be appealed if the base was missed.