Safe or out

Iceman6409

Runner coming into second. The throw beats the runner but is bobbled and dropped. The player covering second has his foot clearly on second base, lays down face down and grabs the ball. Here is the question. His hand was clearly on the ball and he had control but the ball was still on the ground. The ball was not off the ground. Runner safe or out?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Umpire's judgement. If he had control of the ball with any part of his body in contact with the base before the runner arrived, then you have an out. If the umpire judged that there was no control (such as trapped against the ground), you have safe.

Edit - that's assuming this was a force play.

lb16

the natural
Umpire's judgement. If he had control of the ball with any part of his body in contact with the base before the runner arrived, then you have an out. If the umpire judged that there was no control (such as trapped against the ground), you have safe.

Agree with eddie on this one. Strictly judgement call for umpire call could go either way.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Ball still touching ground with hand on top of it = no contol/trap, my judgment would be safe lol

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Incorrect, the ball can be in contact with the ground and still be controlled by the fielder..judgment call
Correct, judgment call, my judgement would be safe with hand on top of ball and ball touching ground does not = control (imo)

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
Correct, judgment call, my judgement would be safe with hand on top of ball and ball touching ground does not = control (imo)

Holding the ball while the ball is making contact with the ground is totally ok and is considered under control. Just cause the ball is makng contact with the ground does not mean is not under control

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Again imo, it would be the same as someone with their glove over/on top of the ball.. is that controlled

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
Again imo, it would be the same as someone with their glove over/on top of the ball.. is that controlled

Its not the same at all. Covering the ball with your glove is not the same as HOLDING the ball while it makes contact with the ground. 2 totally different things

ureout

The Veteran

as far as control it's not with any part of your body.. a ball tucked and not moving under an arm or between the legs is not control.. the ball must be controlled in the hand or glove

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Since we are picking nits in typical SBF fashion :) - reading what I posted I can see where you may have misunderstood, so for clarification -

Control of the ball (hand or glove)
Any part of your body in contact with the base.

eddieq (butt not hurt, but a little sore)