Same guy, same mistakes

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
I got a guy on my team who keeps making the same mistakes over and over.. Same base running mistakes, and same hitting mistakes.. Now with that being said he is an awesome dude to be around, very loyal to the team, he is reliable, and always has a good attitude.. he has only been playing for a short time but know and understands the game.. what would you do with this guy?

beersy

Addicted to Softballfans
just keep him especially if it's league...if you are a serious tourney team cut him loose

beersy

Addicted to Softballfans
it would also help if you have base coaches reminding him about situations...and reminders when he is on deck!!!

My father was an all-state centerfielder when he was in high school, he also drank enough to kill a silverback gorilla. He'd take me out to the fields at a young age and teach me the perfect stance, how to field a ball, the mechanics of throwing from the infield and outfield. It was actually pretty easy to learn.

He'd set up near the pitchers mound with a cooler of Old Milwaukee and a folding chair. As he drank and got more and more drunk I would work on basic things like baserunning and sliding. Anytime I did something incorrectly he would throw the empty bottles at my head. By the time I was in high school I was batting over .500 every season, I always hit the cutoff from the OF and I never made baserunning mistakes.

My suggestion to you is take some time with this guy, teach him some things and in the end enjoy watching him grow into a better player. Also, when throwing an empty beer bottle, go sidearm...over the top will tend to drift right a bit.

Salamander

Manager
my father was an all-state centerfielder when he was in high school, he also drank enough to kill a silverback gorilla. He'd take me out to the fields at a young age and teach me the perfect stance, how to field a ball, the mechanics of throwing from the infield and outfield. It was actually pretty easy to learn.

He'd set up near the pitchers mound with a cooler of old milwaukee and a folding chair. As he drank and got more and more drunk i would work on basic things like baserunning and sliding. Anytime i did something incorrectly he would throw the empty bottles at my head. By the time i was in high school i was batting over .500 every season, i always hit the cutoff from the of and i never made baserunning mistakes.

My suggestion to you is take some time with this guy, teach him some things and in the end enjoy watching him grow into a better player. Also, when throwing an empty beer bottle, go sidearm...over the top will tend to drift right a bit.

+1. .

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
There is no place for reliable people with good attitudes in a game as important as rec league softball, cut hit ass and tell him just win baby.

ProTow34

My father was an all-state centerfielder when he was in high school, he also drank enough to kill a silverback gorilla. He'd take me out to the fields at a young age and teach me the perfect stance, how to field a ball, the mechanics of throwing from the infield and outfield. It was actually pretty easy to learn.

He'd set up near the pitchers mound with a cooler of Old Milwaukee and a folding chair. As he drank and got more and more drunk I would work on basic things like baserunning and sliding. Anytime I did something incorrectly he would throw the empty bottles at my head. By the time I was in high school I was batting over .500 every season, I always hit the cutoff from the OF and I never made baserunning mistakes.

i get what you are saying here.. good advice.. But please tell me the bottle throwing part was merely to make a point...

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
I got a guy on my team who keeps making the same mistakes over and over.. Same base running mistakes, and same hitting mistakes.. Now with that being said he is an awesome dude to be around, very loyal to the team, he is reliable, and always has a good attitude.. he has only been playing for a short time but know and understands the game.. what would you do with this guy?

Dammm Bro I thought you was going to keep this on the DL, fine then go head and cutt me ! :mad: :rolleyes: :D

tlordi

Addicted to Softballfans
Just teach him as he makes the mistakes. Take him aside and explain to him what hes doing wrong. If his attitude is as good as you say he should have no problem hearing it from. It he gets ****y bench his ass or cut him.

AshAid28

Coach

where did you go HS? Northeast or Chesapeake? being a Pasadena boy myself maybe I know you...also like the advice and the teaching your Dad gave....Dads have a great teaching ability to their children, my Step father was very similiar to your Dad....and the teaching skills comes back to me after all these yrs !!!!

where did you go HS? Northeast or Chesapeake? being a Pasadena boy myself maybe I know you...also like the advice and the teaching your Dad gave....Dads have a great teaching ability to their children, my Step father was very similiar to your Dad....and the teaching skills comes back to me after all these yrs !!!!

I'm originally from Buffalo. Stayed in MD after my last tour in the Army.

Last edited:

sj250

Star Player
Simple question to start. Has anyone told him that he's made these mistakes? I know it sounds dumb but I know a lot of people will just ***** to someone else about what the idiot on the field just did but never tell the actual person so he never gets any real help. Sometimes that's all it takes. This was my first year ever playing slo-pitch after always playing baseball so naturally I made a few mistakes with different rules and such but people on the team told me and I adjusted.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Teach him the right way to play the game. Good dudes are hard to find in slowpitch softball. Like another guy said, if hes a good teammate like you say he will want to learn from his mistakes and be better for the team. Ill take 10 great teammates with average skills over 3 or 4 studs that are a holes any day of the week and twice on sunday.

ProTow34

We have talked on a number of occasions in depth about his mistakes. We ALWAYS tell him what to do on the bases i.e. freeze on a line drive. But he seems to get vapor lock as soon as the ball is pitched or as soon as it is put in play. I am absolutely not going to cut him. I just dont know how to handle this situation. I enjoy having him on the team but it sure seems like he is always the one up to bat in the most crucial situations.

Btw. This is a tournament team.

mijowe

The Veteran
male-silverback-gorilla.jpg

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
Teach him the right way to play the game. Good dudes are hard to find in slowpitch softball. Like another guy said, if hes a good teammate like you say he will want to learn from his mistakes and be better for the team. Ill take 10 great teammates with average skills over 3 or 4 studs that are a holes any day of the week and twice on sunday.

WORD UP TO THAT!!!!!

Give me fellas with great attitudes that are eager to learn over guys that can truly play.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
League = teach and have fun, Tourney = teach and have fun. I don't know why it is that hard. If you are playing in a tournament and it is close or you just want to win that bad sub him out. Let him get his hits in when the score is lopsided whether you are winning or not.

DustinEarl99

Starting Player
Every time he makes a mistake make him buy beer for the team!!! Enforce beer rules. That is what we do for rec ball