ASA Scenario...

VooDooSooner

Boomer Sooner
Runner on first, nobody out. Batter hits ground ball to the right side, not necessarily right down the first base line, but in the vicinity. Runner takes off for second and is struck by the ball. I know the runner is ruled out, but does it then become a dead ball and the batter gets first, or is he out as well?

I put ASA in the prefix, but I almost figure that this ruling would be one that is the same for any/all organizations. Is that so?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Ball dead. Batter/runner to 1st.

Probably, but not necessarily.

You're leaving out a very important aspect of the rule. Had the ball already passed an infielder (other than the pitcher)? The answer to that question could totally change the ruling.

Yes, in slow pitch softball most of the time the infielders will be behind the runner. But it's not a given and it's not addressed in the first post.

If the ball has passed an infielder, nobody's out and the ball isn't dead- unless the runner intentionally contacted the ball or there is another fielder behind him that still could make a play.

VooDooSooner

Boomer Sooner
Probably, but not necessarily.

You're leaving out a very important aspect of the rule. Had the ball already passed an infielder (other than the pitcher)? The answer to that question could totally change the ruling.

Yes, in slow pitch softball most of the time the infielders will be behind the runner. But it's not a given and it's not addressed in the first post.

If the ball has passed an infielder, nobody's out and the ball isn't dead- unless the runner intentionally contacted the ball or there is another fielder behind him that still could make a play.

Sorry, I left that detail out. In this situation, yes, the first baseman is behind the runner. So I guess the runner is out and the ball then becomes dead and the batter gets first.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
And just because I wanna be included...

USSSA is the same, Runner is out and Dead Ball if the ball had not passed/touched a fielder.