Other scmaf ruling

mmhessco

Addicted to Softballfans
2 strikes, with still one to waste. batter fouls ball straight back, waist high and the catcher catches the ball at his knees, umpire calls batter out..."foul tip 3rd strike" i have never heard/seen this happen or called before....is this correct call?

quick23

In SCMAF the ball use to have to clear the batters head on a foul tip. It changed a few seasons ago and now any caught foul tip batter is out. Hope you paid up your beer for fouling out to catcher...

MaverickAH

In SCMAF the ball use to have to clear the batters head on a foul tip. It changed a few seasons ago and now any caught foul tip batter is out. Hope you paid up your beer for fouling out to catcher...

It'd make no difference if the ball cleared the batter's head if he already had two strikes. A caught tip after 2 strikes is still an out.

quick23

It'd make no difference if the ball cleared the batter's head if he already had two strikes. A caught tip after 2 strikes is still an out.

You missed the fact that there was one strike to give. By old rule it would have just been a foul ball. New rule he is out.

Thank you for playing...

Katzy63

The Veteran
2 strikes, with still one to waste. batter fouls ball straight back, waist high and the catcher catches the ball at his knees, umpire calls batter out..."foul tip 3rd strike" i have never heard/seen this happen or called before....is this correct call?

This is correct. With 2 strikes and "one to waste" only implies that the batter is not out if a ball lands in foul territory without being caught. Any ball that touches the bat and is then caught before hitting the ground, whether a foul tip or not is an out.

Had someone the other night yelling at me that it was a foul tip and the batter still had another strike to give. One of his teammates promptly corrected him that any tip back to the catcher and caught with 2 strikes already on him was a foul tip 3rd strike in any stick and ball game. Then he told him to go back to the soccer field lol.

MaverickAH

You missed the fact that there was one strike to give. By old rule it would have just been a foul ball. New rule he is out.

Thank you for playing...

There were already 2 strikes on the batter. What's this, "one strike to give", crap? So now you get 4 strikes???!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, there used to be, "One foul to give", not one strike to give...... A caught, tipped ball after two strikes is no longer a foul ball. It's strike three!

Thank you for playing....!!! :rolleyes:

quick23

There were already 2 strikes on the batter. What's this, "one strike to give", crap? So now you get 4 strikes???!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, there used to be, "One foul to give", not one strike to give...... A caught, tipped ball after two strikes is no longer a foul ball. It's strike three!

Thank you for playing....!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you for trying again, but this a California SoCal thing. Yes we sometimes get an extra foul ball on 2nd strike. If batted ball is foul tipped into foul ground batter gets a reprieve and next ball if hit must be fair or batter is out... Many of my local leagues removed the extra foul ball to speed up the game...

Within old league rule, 2 strikes and a foul to give, a batted ball foul tipped and that didn't raise above the batters head is not playable and just a foulball if batted foul. On the next batted ball it has to be fair or batter is out.

Screwy I know, but the way it is around here. Now I just wasted more of my day before a league night. Oh wait I have like 360 more good days of ball here. Either way I win and thanks for playing....

quick23

This is correct. With 2 strikes and "one to waste" only implies that the batter is not out if a ball lands in foul territory without being caught. Any ball that touches the bat and is then caught before hitting the ground, whether a foul tip or not is an out.

Had someone the other night yelling at me that it was a foul tip and the batter still had another strike to give. One of his teammates promptly corrected him that any tip back to the catcher and caught with 2 strikes already on him was a foul tip 3rd strike in any stick and ball game. Then he told him to go back to the soccer field lol.

All true now, but use to be a SCMAF rule that foul ball had to go higher than batters head to be caught by catcher for a foul out. Even with one to give and 2 strikes on the batter. Now any foul tip on any count can be played by the catcher for an out...

MaverickAH

Thank you for trying again, but this a California SoCal thing. Yes we sometimes get an extra foul ball on 2nd strike. If batted ball is foul tipped into foul ground batter gets a reprieve and next ball if hit must be fair or batter is out... Many of my local leagues removed the extra foul ball to speed up the game...

Within old league rule, 2 strikes and a foul to give, a batted ball foul tipped and that didn't raise above the batters head is not playable and just a foulball if batted foul. On the next batted ball it has to be fair or batter is out.

Screwy I know, but the way it is around here. Now I just wasted more of my day before a league night. Oh wait I have like 360 more good days of ball here. Either way I win and thanks for playing....

All true now, but use to be a SCMAF rule that foul ball had to go higher than batters head to be caught by catcher for a foul out. Even with one to give and 2 strikes on the batter. Now any foul tip on any count can be played by the catcher for an out...

Love how you think that it used to be a, "SoCal thing".........

It used to be an EVERYWHERE THING!!!:rolleyes:
Maybe the terminology might be different depending on where you are but there was a time when just about everywhere played with what we termed here as a "Courtesy Foul".

Operative term being "Foul".........

One thing that seems to be getting lost here is that any pitch that is tipped & cleanly caught is no longer a foul ball. It is a strike! The ball remains live & runners are subject to be put out if they're caught off base.

Last edited: