2 strikes with one foul ball to waste
the batter hits a "foul tip" and it is caught by catcher
call is "foul" or "out"?
thanks in advance

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
(Slow Pitch without stealing) The ball is dead and the batter is out if it
is the third strike. <-------this?

so a foul fly "perspective arc" is and out anytime and a foul tip "sharp and/or direct" to catcher is only an out if they are 2 strikes...does it have to be a clean catch?

quick23

In SCMAF I was always under the impression that it had to clean the head of the batter to be considered a foul pop up. If it was just fouled straight back then it was just a foul tip. I have seen that same call made both ways...

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
They could make the rule very simple for slow-pitch (without stealing). Any ball that is hit and caught in the air is an out.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Been playing in SCMAF for 2 years+. Ball must be hit over the batters head and then caught to be an out.

Katzy63

The Veteran
Under Rule 2 Definitions, a foul tip is any batted ball that goes directly into the catchers hands, not rising above the batter's head, and is legally caught by (any?) fielder. It is not a foul tip unless caught, and any foul tip that is caught is a strike and the ball is in play... If you have two strikes on you already, whether or not you have one to waste or it has to be fair, anything that comes off your bat and is caught legally is an out.

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
In SCMAF I was always under the impression that it had to clean the head of the batter to be considered a foul pop up. If it was just fouled straight back then it was just a foul tip. I have seen that same call made both ways...

They could make the rule very simple for slow-pitch (without stealing). Any ball that is hit and caught in the air is an out.

Been playing SCMAF for the last 4 years. if the ball is tipped straight back and caught for strike 2 its just a strike. If it is tipped back and caught after 2 strikes its an out (treated like a tipped and caught pitch in baseball).

Joecurrier

**AVARICE**
Under Rule 2 Definitions, a foul tip is any batted ball that goes directly into the catchers hands, not rising above the batter's head, and is legally caught by (any?) fielder. It is not a foul tip unless caught, and any foul tip that is caught is a strike and the ball is in play... If you have two strikes on you already, whether or not you have one to waste or it has to be fair, anything that comes off your bat and is caught legally is an out.

Mike?????????????????

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't call me Sirley

Roger, roger.

We have clearance Clarence.

What's the vector Victor.

I didn't get a Harumph outta that guy!

Look look, it's Enrico Palazzao!

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Been playing SCMAF for the last 4 years. if the ball is tipped straight back and caught for strike 2 its just a strike. If it is tipped back and caught after 2 strikes its an out (treated like a tipped and caught pitch in baseball).

After the first strike or foul the next foul is an out caught or not. The most ****ing stupid ass moronic **** head dumb ass rule ever made up by LDs that do not play ball. Shave ur bats, hit fly balls, dont bother to get base hits, run hard or advance the runners..........

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
In SCMAF I was always under the impression that it had to clear the head of the batter to be considered a foul pop up.

Then you have been under a false impression.

(Or, the SCMAF has invented a rule that doesn't exist in the rest of the baseball or softball world.)

Been playing in SCMAF for 2 years+. Ball must be hit over the batters head and then caught to be an out.

Is that how your umpires have been calling it? Because if they have, then they are calling this contrary to how it's supposed to be called in all other baseball and softball rule sets.

Does anyone have access to any printed SCMAF rule that actually states this?

(I'm guessing that there isn't one.)

A foul tip is always "just a strike". The only reason a batter is out if he hits one after he has two strikes is because it is the third strike.

2 strikes with one foul ball to waste
the batter hits a "foul tip" and it is caught by catcher
call is "foul" or "out"?

It is not a foul ball. Batter is out on strikes as this would be the third strike.

Last edited:

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Then you have been under a false impression.

(Or, the SCMAF has invented a rule that doesn't exist in the rest of the baseball or softball world.)

Is that how your umpires have been calling it? Because if they have, then they are calling this contrary to how it's supposed to be called in all other baseball and softball rule sets.

Does anyone have access to any printed SCMAF rule that actually states this?

(I'm guessing that there isn't one.)

A foul tip is always "just a strike". The only reason a batter is out if he hits one after he has two strikes is because it is the third strike.

It is not a foul ball. Batter is out on strikes as this would be the third strike.

After the first strike or foul the next foul is an out caught or not. The most ****ing stupid ass moronic **** head dumb ass rule ever made up by LDs that do not play ball. Shave ur bats, hit fly balls, dont bother to get base hits, run hard or advance the runners..........

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

i went to socal for a weekend get away i caught some league games in santa clarita so you guys use asa bats with a utrip classic m ball and 12foot arc.as i watched some pitchers were throwing higher then 12ft more like 15 i play in the oakland east bay area.we also play asa we use the dudley thunder sy 44 375 cor. ball but use the 10 to 6 arc which everyone likes better since most people play utrip or nsa on weekends. what does scmaf stand for just wondering?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
i went to socal for a weekend get away i caught some league games in santa clarita so you guys use asa bats with a utrip classic m ball and 12foot arc.as i watched some pitchers were throwing higher then 12ft more like 15 i play in the oakland east bay area.we also play asa we use the dudley thunder sy 44 375 cor. ball but use the 10 to 6 arc which everyone likes better since most people play utrip or nsa on weekends. what does scmaf stand for just wondering?

Southern
California
Meddiling
A$$
Fools

And we use a 16' arc so it goes from ur ankles to about 20' :rolleyes:

quick23

SCMAF:
Southern
California
Municipal
Athletic
Federation

Its basically a modified ASA league. ASA bats are the standard. Balls are subject to local directors choice. We use Baden Lexum 40/300 ASA balls. Pitching height is suppose to be 16' through out the rec leagues. In our area, we voted to keep the pitch 6-12. Also, plate and mat are live.

lol good one really my girlfriend was asking why r they throwing it so high you guys wold like our league umps wouldnt allow that high arc also in the d division we have unlimited bombs

thanks for the feedback quick23 we follow the standard asa rules which lower the arc to 6 to 10 we dont use the mat they chalk a box and start with a 0-0 count.the rec league didnt want to lose teams to twin creeks in sunnyvale which is utrip and pleasanton,ca which is utrip too.theres another city close by with plays utrip but the fields aint that great, are 4 plex has better quality fields.maybe next time i visit socal i'll bring my bag maybe get lucky someone is short.

quick23

thanks for the feedback quick23 we follow the standard asa rules which lower the arc to 6 to 10 we dont use the mat they chalk a box and start with a 0-0 count.the rec league didnt want to lose teams to twin creeks in sunnyvale which is utrip and pleasanton,ca which is utrip too.theres another city close by with plays utrip but the fields aint that great, are 4 plex has better quality fields.maybe next time i visit socal i'll bring my bag maybe get lucky someone is short.

I have only played at the Creeks when I have gone up north... We use to go up Friday nights, pick up a game or two, close the bar down, get a few hours sleep, and go play a tourney...