Score protest

r8dr_rider

league night, field has a score board. Blue doesn’t update as runs pass, but after each inning. Top of 7th we are up to bat chasing 5, but blue hasn’t updated score board since 5th inning. We score 5 runs (or so we thought) after 3rd out blue calls the game. He says only 4 runs passed, we argued a bit and I just left it as is.

Thinking back on it. We didn’t have any books and I totally forgot to ask to see his. Field does have video so for $5 I can watch the game and if it was a tie, protest. But since it was a tie we wouldn’t get the W. technically the other team would have an AB and even if they didn’t score, ties end in a 0.5 record. No extra innings.

Should I just let it be? It’s just league bro, I know.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
league night, field has a score board. Blue doesn’t update as runs pass, but after each inning. Top of 7th we are up to bat chasing 5, but blue hasn’t updated score board since 5th inning. We score 5 runs (or so we thought) after 3rd out blue calls the game. He says only 4 runs passed, we argued a bit and I just left it as is.

Thinking back on it. We didn’t have any books and I totally forgot to ask to see his. Field does have video so for $5 I can watch the game and if it was a tie, protest. But since it was a tie we wouldn’t get the W. technically the other team would have an AB and even if they didn’t score, ties end in a 0.5 record. No extra innings.

Should I just let it be? It’s just league bro, I know.

Teams should keep their own books and check up with the opposition each inning.

Not the umpire's job to keep score

ureout

The Veteran

not always the case.. sometimes umpires are required to keep score that is why they are given a score card with a line up on it before the game... score should be checked by the umpire every 1/2 inning between both teams as they change between innings

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
not always the case.. sometimes umpires are required to keep score that is why they are given a score card with a line up on it before the game... score should be checked by the umpire every 1/2 inning between both teams as they change between innings

Since 1966, I have never been asked to or have kept score as umpire. Nor have I ever asked an umpire to keep the score of a game as the UIC.

As an umpire, I don't ask the score unless a run-rule may be in play and most of those times, you don't have to ask, the team will tell you

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I've called plenty of leagues where teams kept their own score. However, as a proactive measure, I'd verify how many runs each team had at the end of each half inning. If there's a discrepancy, we solved it right then and there. If one team didn't keep a book, well... Then boo on them.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My procedure when I have the scorecard is to verify the count each half inning with the hitting team, announce that to the defending team and then write it on the card. Once the count has been accepted and we move on to the next inning it's not getting changed. If you don't have a book, then you're relying on my count and the count of the opposing team. The only time I've kept the board updated in real time is if it's Conference and I'm in the field.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I have one of those whiteboards that I write the lineup on and we keep track of the score on it. Not so much an official book, but better than nothing

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is the issue with that, if you tell me you have a different score, how are you going to show me that your count is correct and mine isn't?

r8dr_rider

Here is the issue with that, if you tell me you have a different score, how are you going to show me that your count is correct and mine isn't?

Yeah I get it now. I need to keep books on the score. Never really did it since most blues update the score board as runs pass. If blue doesn’t have books, then he has nothing to back up. Like fuzzy said, I should at least keep a tally on my white board. My mistake and won’t happen again

RNRPLZ

I TOTALLY AGREE! This just gives players another thing to complain about. Especially in most rec leagues they use only one man system.