Other Sean

Sean Polreis

Hello;

An interesting scenario happened in our ball game last night. Runner on 1st - ground ball to 1st baseman. Runner left 1st but then went back to the base as the fielder gathered the ball. Fielder touched 1st base thus making the batter out. Normally when this happens the runner needs to be tagged and is usually going to 2nd (but could technically go back to 1st since the base is open after the fielder touches it making the batter out). However, in this case the runner was actually on 1st base when it was touched by the fielder. Is the runner then "safe" at 1st as it is an open base or is there a rule that he cannot be standing on 1st at all - is he considered illegally occupying 1st base? Thanks.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
If the runner is tagged first and the base is tagged 2nd both players are out. If the base is tagged first the runner is safe. Though I believe if this was usssa the runner is out because I believe in usssa a forced runner may not retreat but that part I'm not sure.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the runner is tagged first and the base is tagged 2nd both players are out. If the base is tagged first the runner is safe.
Correct.
Though I believe if this was usssa the runner is out because I believe in usssa a forced runner may not retreat but that part I'm not sure.
Not correct. This only applies to the batter-runner in ASA. I don't see any such rule in USSSA.

There is nothing that prohibits a runner from retreating to their originally occupied base, even when they're forced to advance.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Not correct. This only applies to the batter-runner in ASA. I don't see any such rule in USSSA.

There is nothing that prohibits a runner from retreating to their originally occupied base, even when they're forced to advance.

Thanks for the clarification.

jackjohn

Addicted to Softballfans
Correct.

I'm smarter already today! I was always under the impression that you could not retreat at all, if forced.

We had a church league game 2 weeks ago (self umping). And I called one of our guys out for this. 1st and 2nd, 1 out and a grounder to ss. The man from 2nd stopped and took 2 steps back. I called out before the ss tagged him. They were not able to turn 2, but I was sure my call was correct. Live and learn.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I called out before the ss tagged him. They were not able to turn 2, but I was sure my call was correct.

Gah! :eek: Spend more time here :)

And, haven't you ever seen a pickle in baseball/softball? It's hard to get in a pickle without retreating :thumb:

A batter/runner can't retreat from 1B toward home. Other than that, it's all good.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
But.....I bet it has happened in rec SPSB :thumb:

Hell, I've tried to throw out a base coach before :confused: