Serious question about bat weight

doity

I have recently (last five years) gotten back into playing league softball. I grew up playing LL baseball in the 70’s, and then a succession of softball teams afterwards.

When I got back into playing I had to get some gear together, and quickly realized that the bats at practice were too light for me. I am a skinny dude, with negative upper body strength. A lot of these big dudes were swinging 26 or 28 bats, which when I tried completely threw off my swing. One guy brought a nice 30 ouncer to practice and it was an improvement.

I realized that 34 oz. is the maximum in the league, and found an older 34 oz. Easton on Ebay for cheap. I tend to switch between a 30 and 34, with no real difference in performance. I tend to over-swing with anything lighter, and use the girth of the bat to increase my distance.

When I brought my bat to games, these guys much bigger than me would look at it like I had brought a bazooka to the park. Like I said, I am an anemic older dude, who has the physique of a stick figure. How can these beefy dudes comfortably use a bat seemingly made for kids……when a 34 oz is almost too light for me?

Just asking.

doity

I guess that my question is more just thinking out loud (in public) if it is/was just a trend that someone started and then everyone followed behind? I don’t know why, but it just seems so odd to me. Thanks

dan

Manager
I use a 25-ounce fastpitch bat, and three of the guys on my co-rec team have hit the ball out of the park with it.

They didn't go back to their heavier bats.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
How? Practice. I still have a 38 oz in my garage. The performance of a bat has changed a lot in the past few decades.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Just an FYI. The typical difference between the 25-28oz in any particular slowpitch bat (best to only compare the same make/model) is the length of a weighted pin inserted at the knob (the sticker covers the hole). Some manufacturers may try to place the variable weight in another form (like the actual knob) but that's the easiest and cost-effective method. The load will also be a factor in the base pin length (balance being longer and end loads being shorter). Often times, the lighter weight option is the base weight (no pin weights) and pins are added to get the 1 oz increments going up.

If you don't want to take my word for it, take any variety weights of the same bat and place a strong neodymium magnet along the handle end (start adjacent to the knob and slide towards the barrel until it no longer catches). Every weight will have a different magnetic length (heavier will be longer).

So a lighter weight will have its balance point shift towards the end cap (and heavier weights shift towards the knob), which can affect performance if you're a sports physics nerd. Again, this comparison is intended for variable weight options of the same model bat (but knowing this has made reading online arguments over bat weights an entertaining form of toilet literature).

doity

Just an FYI. The typical difference between the 25-28oz in any particular slowpitch bat (best to only compare the same make/model) is the length of a weighted pin inserted at the knob (the sticker covers the hole). Some manufacturers may try to place the variable weight in another form (like the actual knob) but that's the easiest and cost-effective method. The load will also be a factor in the base pin length (balance being longer and end loads being shorter). Often times, the lighter weight option is the base weight (no pin weights) and pins are added to get the 1 oz increments going up.

If you don't want to take my word for it, take any variety weights of the same bat and place a strong neodymium magnet along the handle end (start adjacent to the knob and slide towards the barrel until it no longer catches). Every weight will have a different magnetic length (heavier will be longer).

So a lighter weight will have its balance point shift towards the end cap (and heavier weights shift towards the knob), which can affect performance if you're a sports physics nerd. Again, this comparison is intended for variable weight options of the same model bat (but knowing this has made reading online arguments over bat weights an entertaining form of toilet literature).
Thanks for the breakdown and I kinda realized that as most bats “look” the same at first glance. I just don’t have a lot of stamina behind me, and tend to over-swing when trying to use light bats. I have always been thin, but used to knock the ball out on a regular basis. Those days are long gone.

I now just use the heavier bat to make sure that when I do connect it gets out there past the infield, or more accurately, makes for a nasty line drive that gets me on base.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the breakdown and I kinda realized that as most bats “look” the same at first glance. I just don’t have a lot of stamina behind me, and tend to over-swing when trying to use light bats. I have always been thin, but used to knock the ball out on a regular basis. Those days are long gone.

I now just use the heavier bat to make sure that when I do connect it gets out there past the infield, or more accurately, makes for a nasty line drive that gets me on base.
If you prefer heavy, I'd look for an endloaded 28oz (and maybe add a grip and rip knob). Not 100% sure but I don't think any of the competitive performing bats are made heavier than that (it seems like it's been over 10-15 years since I've last seen a 30oz composite).

doity

If you prefer heavy, I'd look for an endloaded 28oz (and maybe add a grip and rip knob). Not 100% sure but I don't think any of the competitive performing bats are made heavier than that (it seems like it's been over 10-15 years since I've last seen a 30oz composite).
A guy on my team the last couple years had a 30 oz Miken, which was a good compromised for me. I had good results with it, but only a couple of other people ever used it. A lot of times I would pop out though, as our league fields four outfielders.

I tend to get good results with my heavy alloy bat. The ball moves fast when making a good connection, and I tend to not pop out as much. I sometimes think that people tend to overthink what ‘should’ be a recreational sport.

defos

There are 30 oz composite bats out there yet, but they're hard to find. I'm 68 and still swing a 30 oz. I've bought 2 30 oz Worth Mach 1s in the past year. One is a 2021 model and the other is a '22. I have some 28s, some of which are more endloaded than some of the 30s. Anything under 28 is a no-go for me. It messes me up big time.

That business about weighting using pins and rods may have been true in the early days and or with some manufacturers, but isn't universal at all. The old Worth C405 alloy bats had no pins or rods or holes under the sticker. The weight was a mass of epoxy or something inside the endcap. The handles are hollow.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Anderson makes a 30oz USSSA 240 bat. I love mine - on par with all the newest "hot" bats that come out every other week. I don't play much USA/ASA anymore, and in part bc the bats are too light (no 30oz). The game would be a much better product if 28 was the absolute lightest bat made. Make the players responsible for their success instead of technology.

robokill

Manager
I lot of the serious players do crazy overlap grips, so controlling a 26/25oz bat with that grip is about as difficult as controlling a 30oz with a standard grip.

Some of it is just people following a trend too. For me personally I don't see much of a performance difference from 26-30oz (off a tee). I actually seem to swing 27s (short barrel EL) faster than 26s (long barrel EL).

basilray

Canada slowpitch resellers are often the only ones getting the big name 30oz Utrip bats anymore.

I have a buddy that swings almost nothing but 30oz DC-41's. He's picked up a couple of 30oz UTrip Mikens from Canadian sellers and had them delivered to the states.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Canada slowpitch resellers are often the only ones getting the big name 30oz Utrip bats anymore.

Lots of options up here, Miken does a Canadian exclusive every year and they always come in 30oz. They're limited quantity and the 30's sell out fast though.

I'm in Nova Scotia and the last few years players around here have hopped off the "light bat=batspeed" bandwagon. 30oz, 28.5oz, and 28oz are the first weights to sell out.

And the Anderson bat mentioned is called the Wraith. Check the bay, you can get last year's model cheap and it's on par with the big brands.

westdude

Addicted to Softballfans
Technically you could grab a demarini Windy City if you want a new alloy that weighs 34oz. I have no idea how it performs or holds up to regular 12” balls. Suncoast will still make 30s in addition to the Anderson and Canadian Miken. I like heavy bats too, so I’ve been hoarding them as I find them because they’re going extinct.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Technically you could grab a demarini Windy City if you want a new alloy that weighs 34oz. I have no idea how it performs or holds up to regular 12” balls. Suncoast will still make 30s in addition to the Anderson and Canadian Miken. I like heavy bats too, so I’ve been hoarding them as I find them because they’re going extinct.

Westdude? Holy ****.....I thought you were dead.

BruceinGa

always online
I have always swung 30 oz bats. I have gradually moved to 29, 28.5, 28 etc. For the past 10 or 15 years always endloads. I now find myself looking for 27's, probably because some companies don't offer anything heavier.