Shadow break in?

djblaze3208

Starting Player
So I bought my first blackout, 26.5 shadow, and was wondering how long these take to open up? I have roughly 300-400 swings on it and although it feels a little better, it doesn't perform nearly as good as my other bats. I know these are great bats, but how much work do I need to put in before this is gamer status? Also does it ever get that crack sound? I must say the sound does sound pretty weird.

hitBOMBS2

making a ***back
I got mine with 50 swings... put another 50 or so on it.
Im out hitting all other bats with it.

Swing harder ??? Use evil balls???

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Little brother has one. Says it's good but behind his myriad Blackouts. And it's still stiff. Yet to open up for him after 100 swings, maybe more. He swings on the harder side of the spectrum. Keep swinging. It'll get good--it IS a Mizuno.

HB2 was that Blackout a mercy buy? I'm too lazy to check the sale forum.

hitBOMBS2

making a ***back
Little brother has one. Says it's good but behind his myriad Blackouts. And it's still stiff. Yet to open up for him after 100 swings, maybe more. He swings on the harder side of the spectrum. Keep swinging. It'll get good--it IS a Mizuno.

HB2 was that Blackout a mercy buy? I'm too lazy to check the sale forum.

No I was in new London and guy was trying to sell ot to buy another bat. I swung it first and damn near pissed myself. Its the goods. I love it. Best money spent to date.

hitBOMBS2

making a ***back
Shadow> fill in any bat here. But understand, this is only my opinion. Check the other forumz. I put a full review there.

djblaze3208

Starting Player
Put another 100 hits on it or so and it has definitely opened up a bit more. No where close to fully broken in, but hitting the ball much better. Guess winter cages are in my future. This thing should be just right come spring ball.

gold_glove9

<font color="Orange">Utility Player</font>
What's the weighting like on these? Looking to pick one up. Swing a 27 ounce Ressy Legit right now. What does the 26.5 swing like?

mkimmer

COMbatant
Yes. My 27.5 weighs 28.1 on scale. Very good el to it.

My 26.5 feels heavy, but it is actually 26.7 on my scales..... And that is with stock grip too.

Most people are giving up on the Shadows because they have to be broken in. In this age of hot bats now and hot out of the wrapper requirements, all the impatient people are giving up on them. They are like the pre-new stamp bats that you had to BP to get right. People need to realize that Blackouts are well worth the money and you get a GREAT product for the $. My Blackout is no where near broke in, but it will always be in my bag for when it gets cold.

GrinningBear

I'd gladly swing the 27.5 and I usually swing a 28-30.

Edit--I would definitely choose the heavier weights but wouldn't kick the 27.5 out of bed.

Last edited:

GrinningBear

How many swings does it take for it to fully break in? 1000 swings there about?

People with Blackouts are complaining about the break in. Probably more than 1000. Always good to have .44/525 and Classic M's on hand to expedite things.

djblaze3208

Starting Player
The shadow does swing heavy. I have a 26.5 and I normally swing 26 oz bats. Although it has some time to be fully broken in, after about 600-700 swings or so, its starting to get nasty. I put my first ball over a 300 foot fence on it last week. Although this bat does take some work, I really like it and definitely not giving up on it. Plus during compression testing it has SOOOO much life left that it will probably be a good 2 years before I have to worry about it failing. Compared to some other bats that I have, they are borderline after 2 months. Well worth the money, and if you shop around you can find them really cheap at times.