USSSA Shaved Team bats and cooler balls

tpcamp24

The Veteran
USSSA question. I just read the thread on the cooler balls and saw where there was nothing in Utrip rules that made it illegal even though the common consensus was that it did alter the COR and compression.

But we just had a league tourney suspended because multiple teams were found using and sharing altered (shaved) bats. I know the rules state that it is a 1 year non-appealable suspension for the individual owner of the bat, but what about a team bat? I probably saw it and it just didn't register.....happens sometimes. Thanks.

Reason for asking is that we've told the RD around here for years that these guys were doing this and we finally had someone call 'em on it. Want to know what to do when the teams start applying for play next year or even this fall.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
The player caught using the bat and the owner of the bat are both suspended. The rest of thew team is GTG to keep cheating, errr playing.

AdamHad'em

King of the whooo?
If this tourney is a "just for fun" tourney (ie- the winner doesn't get any USSSA points, and/or have the ability to qualify for a larger tourney), then I don't think USSSA will get involved. In which case, your local league rules and/or punishments would apply.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And if I can't find the owner of the bat, then it falls back onto the coach. That usually gets us to the bottom of things pretty quickly.

tpcamp24

The Veteran
It was an end of the season tourney that drew bids to Utrip Regionals. The attitude of the league has been that shaved sticks wouldn't be checked "unless someone gets hurt" and that's when it's too late. The coach of one of the teams has been pampered in the past because he used to play in worlds or something, but the league hired a great umpire this year and he has really charged things up around here with his no nonsense attitude to these guys doing things that go beyond 'shady'. Never had any of my bats checked for stamps or anything until this year. I'm waiting to see what happens with suspensions, or whether there will be any at all.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
good umpires can tell just by looking at it

wish it was that easy....besides I've asked in the ump meeting about this stuff and never got a clear answer......MN USSSA UIC/dep UIC are more concerned with appearance of ump..

case in point everyone knew Turnberg was purchasing a machine to test bats this spring.......well now he's not but Burnsville will be getting one of their own.....I'd just think possessing the machine alone would be a deterent for the majority....

vikingextreme93

Addicted to Softballfans
wish it was that easy....besides I've asked in the ump meeting about this stuff and never got a clear answer......MN USSSA UIC/dep UIC are more concerned with appearance of ump..

case in point everyone knew Turnberg was purchasing a machine to test bats this spring.......well now he's not but Burnsville will be getting one of their own.....I'd just think possessing the machine alone would be a deterent for the majority....

is this your new home (ask the umpire) :D

tpcamp24

The Veteran
question: ??
how did the league or umpire find or prove it was a shaved bat ???

Multiple players using the stick consecutively and 450 foot bombs across the road and hitting houses. Classic M softballs are not supposed to still be climbing after clearing a 300' fence